Windows 7 Search results can't be sorted in order of relevance RRS feed

• Question

• Why can search results not be sorted in order of relevance when Windows Desktop Search used to offer that under Windows XP?  Is there a magic registry setting that I can edit or something?
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please right-click the Search result folders, then you will find the sort by option.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, September 4, 2011 1:05 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please right-click the Search result folders, then you will find the sort by option.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, September 4, 2011 1:05 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 9:06 AM
  • I'm struggling with the same issue as IMADickhead is having.

To "sort by" as you are suggesting is sorting by a certain item like name, date, size ... but it is not sorting by relevance.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:24 PM
  • I had the same problem and have just sorted it. I've got Windows in Japanese so not sure the exact wording in English, but I think I can explain...

Right click at the top of the search results where it explains what each column means ("name", "date" etc). You can then add other things like "tags". Click on the one that says something like "ranking" so that is ticked. A ranking number will then appear for each search result to the right of the date etc. Click at the title saying "ranking" at the top of that column, and it will rank your search results that way instead of by size, date etc. Mine actually put the lowest ranking top first of all, but if it does that just click on it again.

Sunday, November 30, 2014 3:15 AM