none
DCdiag.exe issue without WINS server in NIC properties (just saying)

General discussion

• Weird issue, but resolved; posting in case might help someone. Took a while to pin down. Windows Server 2008 R2 Forest level, all DCs are 2008 R2. Two sites, HQ and Branch Office, well connected. Two domains: an empty root with DCs in HQ site, and a child domain with DCs in HQ and a DC in the branch office. The root domain is *not* running WINS. The child domain is runing WINS, on all child DCs. Noticed issue while following https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2014/06/25/streamlined-migration-of-frs-to-dfsr-sysvol/ for FRS to DFS migration.

On the root DCs, running the command Dcdiag /e /test:sysvolcheck /test:advertising -- both tests failed for the branch office child DC. When running the command on the child DCs, both tests passed for the branch office child DC. Other tests run from the root DCs passed (repadmin, AD Replication Status Tool) - no errors regarding any DC, including branch office child DC. Running Net share on the branch office child DC shows correct output. The dcdiag output errors (cannot locate server) indicated name lookup, specifically, NetBIOS name. Sure enough, running \\branch-office-DC failed on the root DCs, as did ping, but \\IP-address and \\FQDN succeeded, as did ping and nslookup.

Turns out (after checking other possibilities e.g. DNS, lmhosts and hosts files...) the root DCs did not have a WINS server set in the NIC properties. As soon as I added a WINS server, the dcdiag tests for the child branch office DC passed. Because the root DCs did not report errors for the HQ child DCs (same site as root DCs)  and \\child-HQ-DC worked, I did not think of WINS setting until I came across an unrelated article (sorry, lost link) that prompted the thought.

Joan

Monday, May 1, 2017 9:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Joan,
    So great share, I am sure that it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.
    Thank you for the efforts again.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:37 AM