none
Exchange 2013 Transport Routing Table not seeing new Exchange 2016 server

Question

• I have an existing Exchange 2013 server in AD SiteA, and I have added a new Exchange 2016 server in AD SiteB. The install went without issues and everything works with one exception. Inbound email currently, and for the time being, comes into the Exchange 2013 server. However, the transport routing table on the Exchange 2013 server does not see the Exchange 2016 server, for some reason. This causes mail to sit in the 'Unreachable' queue on the Exchange 2013 server with the message of "There is currently no route to the mailbox database."

I dialed up routing table logging as described here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb201696(v=exchg.150).aspx

In the resulting logs on the Exchange 2016 server, the <ExchangeServers> sections contains entries for both the 2016 and 2013 servers, however, on the Exchange 2013 server the <ExchangeServers> section only contains an entry for the Exchange 2013 server.

Additionally, on the Exchange 2013 server I get a couple of Transport event log errors, as follows:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchangeTransport
    Date:          6/14/2017 7:50:00 AM
    Event ID:      5015
    Task Category: Routing
    Level:         Error

Microsoft Exchange cannot find a route to the source transport server or home MTA server CN=<redacted> for connector CN=Text Messaging Delivery Agent Connector,<redacted> in routing tables with timestamp 6/14/2017 2:50:00 PM. Microsoft Exchange is ignoring the source transport server.

And:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchangeTransport
    Date:          6/14/2017 7:50:00 AM
    Event ID:      5006
    Task Category: Routing
    Level:         Warning

Cannot find information about owning Mailbox Server CN=<redacted> for database CN=<redacted> in routing tables with timestamp 6/14/2017 2:50:00 PM. Recipients will not be routed to this database.

Note that everything else is working. I can send outbound from the Exchange 2016 server via the internet send connector on Exchange 2013. I can move mailboxes between the servers. I can see both servers and all databases from both servers in the ECP in both servers. I have validated that AD replication is up to date. The Exchange 2016 server was installed two days ago. DNS is functioning properly and up to date.

I have restarted the transport service to force rebuilds of the routing tables with no luck. I have rebooted the Exchange 2016 server. I have *not* yet rebooted the Exchange 2013 server as that takes quite a lot of fuss to get the downtime.

If I go into ADSIEdit and navigate to the "CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=<redacted>,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<redacted>" location, both servers are shown there on all domain controllers.

Can anyone explain where, exactly, the transport service is getting the Exchange server information and/or offer theories as to why it's not seeing the Exchange 2016 server when creating the transport routing tables? I would strongly prefer to resolve this without rebooting the Exchange 2013 server, if possible.

Edit, versions are:

Exchange 2013 CU15
    Exchange 2016 CU5

Also note that the <redacted> DNs are correct and don't refer to deleted items or invalid objects, they have been removed for confidentiality reasons.
    • Edited by EngineerBoy Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:13 PM Added DN redaction disclaimer
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:06 PM

Answers

• Well, tonight I rebooted the Exchange 2013 server and domain controller in the affected site and after reboot the transport routing table now shows the Exchange 2016 server in the other site.

I can't say this is the first time that rebooting a Windows server solved a problem, but I've installed a lot of Exchange servers in a lot of environments and this is the first time I've needed to reboot an existing Exchange server (and/or domain controller) to get it to see a new server and add it to the transport routing table.

• Marked as answer by EngineerBoy Friday, June 16, 2017 3:19 AM
    Friday, June 16, 2017 3:18 AM

All replies

• Are you sure that your Active Directory is replicating properly between sites?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, June 15, 2017 12:50 AM
  • Ed, yes, I have verified multiple times using this command:

repadmin /showrepl * /csv >showrepl.csv

I pull the CSV into Excel and all partitions on all servers have updated within the last ~30 minutes.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:40 AM
  • Well, tonight I rebooted the Exchange 2013 server and domain controller in the affected site and after reboot the transport routing table now shows the Exchange 2016 server in the other site.

I can't say this is the first time that rebooting a Windows server solved a problem, but I've installed a lot of Exchange servers in a lot of environments and this is the first time I've needed to reboot an existing Exchange server (and/or domain controller) to get it to see a new server and add it to the transport routing table.

• Marked as answer by EngineerBoy Friday, June 16, 2017 3:19 AM
    Friday, June 16, 2017 3:18 AM
  • Hi Boy,

Thanks for your back and share your solution with us, it will help someone who has similar issue could find solution in this thread as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 30, 2017 9:03 AM
  • I routinely reboot the server before asking questions in the Forums or calling support.  Support will usually tell you to reboot the server as one of the first suggestions anyway.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, June 30, 2017 11:04 PM
  • ThanQ EngineerBoy I owe you a Beer (you get credit below!)

There is Currently No Route to the Mailbox Database

Pete

Regards Pete Long http://www.petenetlive.com

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 2:12 PM