Migrating non-SCCM desktops to SCCM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• We have the scenario whereby an SCCM 2012 environment will be implemented to replace an existing (non-SCCM) environment.

I was wondering how the experts on here would approach getting the new SCCM 2012 agent installed onto the existing OS? 

The obvious choices are Client Push, manual install or using the old Software Deployment toolset to deliver it.

Many Thanks

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:00 PM

Answers

• The choice is all down to yourself really. I would suggest against manual installation (especially if you have loads of desktop devices). I always use client push but there could be a reason, at the client end, why this is not possible e.g. file/print sharing allowed through firewall.

Have a look at the following matrix (Installation Method Dependencies) as it gives you a break down of each deployment method.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682042.aspx

Cheers

Paul | sccmentor.wordpress.com

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:12 PM
  • We have used the previous software distribution methods to upgrade to the new ones.

CA DSM -> ConfigMgr 2007

ConfigMgr 2007 -> ConfigMgr 2012

Worked great in an environment of roughly 50,000 clients.

• Marked as answer by AidyD Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:24 AM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I normally use client push to get some test clients out there to see that everything works fine and then I use Jason Sandy's great startup script to install the client using a Startup Script in a Group Policy to deploy the client in a controlled way without having to modify client firewall and so on.

http://blog.configmgrftw.com/?page_id=349

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:10 PM
  • The choice is all down to yourself really. I would suggest against manual installation (especially if you have loads of desktop devices). I always use client push but there could be a reason, at the client end, why this is not possible e.g. file/print sharing allowed through firewall.

Have a look at the following matrix (Installation Method Dependencies) as it gives you a break down of each deployment method.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682042.aspx

Cheers

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:12 PM
  • Note also that GPO and Software Update install do not require admin rights on the machine whilst client push and logon script will require local admin rights.

Cheers

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:15 PM
  • We have used the previous software distribution methods to upgrade to the new ones.

CA DSM -> ConfigMgr 2007

ConfigMgr 2007 -> ConfigMgr 2012

Worked great in an environment of roughly 50,000 clients.

• Marked as answer by AidyD Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:24 AM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 4:21 PM