none
IE10:Export from Resource/Project center to excel is empty RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm facing a strange issue.

After an upgrade from IE9 to IE10 (RTM), when I'm using the export to excel button, the exported file is empty.

I'm able to reproduce this from the resource center, from the project center, from the timesheet...

I'm using excel 2010

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

• Edited by Arnaoud Monday, March 11, 2013 3:54 PM
    Monday, March 11, 2013 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

Try adding PWA site as trusted site and set security level of trusted zone to "Low" in IE

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 11, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Hello Hrishi:

I am having the same issue.  I added the site to my trusted sites security zone and changed the zone security to Low.  Restarted IE, but the export is still blank?  Ideas?

Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:43 PM
  • which version of  office are you using?

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Be aware IE10 is not fully supported as per the TechNet software requirements, and I would recommend rolling back for production use.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 8:16 PM
  • Hello Hrishi:

I'm using Office 2010 with Windows 7.  I've also tried with Excel 2013 and Windows 8.  In both instances, the result was a blank export.

Friday, May 17, 2013 8:44 PM
  • Try having Excel open prior to Export.   If this doesn't fix the problem, try this

After the export procedure, see if the data is still your paste buffer.  Open Excel and then do a Ctrl-V to paste into excel.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Saturday, May 18, 2013 12:58 PM
  • Thank you very much for your answer, but the issue can be reproduced if excel is already open and the data is not stored in the buffer
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:47 AM
  • As I mentioned above, IE10 is not fully supported, so for production use, I would not recommend this as these scenarios can occur. See here;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff631137(v=office.14).aspx

The only saving grace you may have, is to ensure your deployment is at least SP1, but that's not an update specifically aimed at IE10 support improvements.

• Edited by Rob Hardy Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:17 AM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:15 AM
  • As I mentioned above, IE10 is not fully supported, so for production use, I would not recommend this as these scenarios can occur. See here;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff631137(v=office.14).aspx

The only saving grace you may have, is to ensure your deployment is at least SP1, but that's not an update specifically aimed at IE10 support improvements.

The IE10 is now supported by the SP2 but this not resolved the issue. With IE9 and office 2013 it work perfectly, bur with IE10 the export does not work in any case.
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:55 AM
  • Use the below workaround so that clicking the export button will work similarly to how it does with previous IE versions and such. 

1. Open the Windows registry editor (regedit32.exe) and take a backup of the registry
    2. Go the location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\excel.exe
    3. Here, you’ll see a string value named “useURL”
    4. Rename this value to something else.  For example “useURLx”

Post this change, you should be able to use the Export to Excel functionality. When you click the button, you’ll get a message from IE asking if you want to Open, Save or Save As the XLS file and you can choose Open.  You’ll then see the “normal” prompt within Excel about whether or not you want to open the file even though the contents don’t match the file extension.

Cheers! Happy troubleshooting !!! Dinesh S. Rai - MSFT Enterprise Project Management

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:43 AM
  • Nice !!!! This workaround is working. Thank's.
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:57 AM
  • This works, but be sure to consider the consequences to other applications. Review the UseURL attribute at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/ee872121.aspx

Thursday, August 1, 2013 1:14 PM
  • Thank you Dinesh,

I expect a hotfix soon

Regards

Monday, August 12, 2013 4:04 PM