Migrating to Office 365 from SP 2007. Issues with metadata. RRS feed

• Question

• We have a document library containing about 4000 files. These are "grouped" by a clumn and a view into categories. There is about 500. Migrating this over to the new sharepoint is proving troublesome.

I assumed if a column on SP 2007 is called CAT and the new column on the new site is called CAT, then any data stored would come over.

Is there a way, or a trick (without paying for a 3rd party solution, without using powershell and without using Designer) to figure out how to move all these documents so they preserve the column metadata so I don't have to manually sort each of the 5000 documents into the right category.

Friday, December 8, 2017 8:11 PM

Answers

• Would this fix that? Yes, Migration Manager does not use the standard SharePoint upload folder functionality but uses HTML5. This imposes a constraint on the browser used. It must be Chrome, Opera or Edge.
    (FireFox support is in the next release)

Steps:
    1. Upload the html file + JavaScript file to a document library
    2. Open the html file in your browser. This shows SharePoint as a Windows Explorer tree
    3. Expand the tree to show the location where you want to add the content
    4. Open windows explorer on your computer, select the 400+ folders and drag them into the proper location in the SharePoint tree (i.e. into the browser window)
    See e.g. https://directory.collab365.community/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/migrationManagerDragFolder.png
    5. A popup window opens and you can map source and target properties. 
    see e.g. https://directory.collab365.community/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/migrationManagerMetadata.png
    In your case select for folders the option to flatten the structure. For the documents map the path (i.e. folder name on your computer) to a SharePoint column
    6. Start the upload

During the trial there is no popup about the trial license. It will only show a popup after the trial period has expired. If you only want to move 4000 documents then purchasing a dedicated tool is too much. Demonstrating the capabilities of this browser-tool is more important to us. We are keen though to hear what can be improved in the tool.

One time thing. Clear. Just use the trial version to migrate your set of 4000+ files one-off, delete the 2 files and then start using the regular SharePoint upload functionality to upload files.

Paul

Saturday, December 9, 2017 4:07 PM

All replies

• 4000 files is a small data set. That means you potentially can use options like using explorer view.

What type of files do you need to move? If you are lucky they are all file types where the SharePoint property promotion / demotion has resulted in storing the SharePoint metadata value in the files itself. For instance, in Word (docx) you should see the metadata when downloading the file from SharePoint and then opening the file using Word on your computer. Basically this will work for docx/xlsx/pptx/msg/tiff/..

Some file types will not contain metadata that originates from SharePoint columns. The most common one will be pdf.

There will be other alternatives but please check the file types first because that may solve your problem.

Paul | SLIM Applications

Saturday, December 9, 2017 12:23 PM
  • Thanks Paul.Our situation is comically complicated.

The 4000+ files are a mixture of, .docx, .msg and .pdf.

The only thing I can do (using an excel script I've tried) is to download all files on my computer. This script would put the files in a folder (which matches the category folder/column from MOSS).

This would mean I would have all files inside the correct folders on my PC. But it's getting these files into new sharepoint so the folder translates into column metadata.

We have been told by the powers that be that folders are not allowed for the system. So I can't even just make folders. We have to use grouped view based on column data.

Saturday, December 9, 2017 1:04 PM
  • If you are able to download the files to your local machine and store them into the correct folders this really helps. You can then use tools to upload the contents of each folder and use the folder name as metadata.

There are plenty of migration tools. See e.g. https://directory.collab365.community/office365-sharepoint/office-365-migration-software/
    You are free to choose the one that suits you best.
    The one I have developed (Migration Manager) provides this capability. You can upload a folder structure from your computer using drag and drop and flatten the folder structure to upload all documents into a single SharePoint location. You can use the path (i.e. folder name) and map that to a SharePoint column. This is going to work. There is a trial version (15 day, full functionality) which should enable you to upload the files to SPO without any costs. The tool is browser-based so no need to install anything on SPO or your computer.

Paul | SLIM Applications (http://www.slimapplications.com)

Saturday, December 9, 2017 1:39 PM
  • Sounds good, but alas, our system is a closed system.

Nothing can be installed or added that isn't part of the Out Of The Box experience.

I guess I just have to be creative with how I do this. A challenge indeed.

Saturday, December 9, 2017 2:47 PM
  • Just to clarify.

You will only need to upload 1 html file + 1 JavaScript file with a total size of about 1 MB to an existing document library using your browser. No need to install anything on the SharePoint servers. When you have migrated the files simple delete the 2 files. Contact me if you want to test it in our demo site on SPO.

Paul

Saturday, December 9, 2017 3:12 PM
  • Ah ok.

I tried to drag a folder from my desktop to SPO and it said uploading folders isn't supported. Would this fix that?

Also, can you explain how this would work exactly?

I upload the files to the directory then I drag my folders over (about 400 folders) and they would all do it fine?

I also can't risk any popup windows asking for money, talking about a trial or anything like that. Which brings me to, I assume you are selling this product? So isn't it unwise to offer it to me for use for a quick drag'n'drop and then remove it?

It would be a one time thing, once the bulk has been moved we usually upload documents singularly.

Saturday, December 9, 2017 3:18 PM
  • Would this fix that? Yes, Migration Manager does not use the standard SharePoint upload folder functionality but uses HTML5. This imposes a constraint on the browser used. It must be Chrome, Opera or Edge.

Steps:
    2. Open the html file in your browser. This shows SharePoint as a Windows Explorer tree
    4. Open windows explorer on your computer, select the 400+ folders and drag them into the proper location in the SharePoint tree (i.e. into the browser window)
    See e.g. https://directory.collab365.community/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/migrationManagerDragFolder.png
    see e.g. https://directory.collab365.community/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/migrationManagerMetadata.png
    In your case select for folders the option to flatten the structure. For the documents map the path (i.e. folder name on your computer) to a SharePoint column
    6. Start the upload

During the trial there is no popup about the trial license. It will only show a popup after the trial period has expired. If you only want to move 4000 documents then purchasing a dedicated tool is too much. Demonstrating the capabilities of this browser-tool is more important to us. We are keen though to hear what can be improved in the tool.

One time thing. Clear. Just use the trial version to migrate your set of 4000+ files one-off, delete the 2 files and then start using the regular SharePoint upload functionality to upload files.

Paul

Saturday, December 9, 2017 4:07 PM
  • Fantastic. It may indeed be the answer. I have access to SP 2013 on another site, which I have more powers over and I used to construct the blueprint of our new site. Am I able to test this tool on there? Are you able to send me a link to the files?
    Saturday, December 9, 2017 4:51 PM
  • http://expert-advice.org/office365/sharepoint-2010-on-premises-to-sharepoint-online-office-365-migration/
    Monday, December 11, 2017 6:37 AM
  • Please contact us through info@slimapplications.com.

Paul

Monday, December 11, 2017 8:41 AM

Steps:
    6. Start the upload

Paul

Thanks for this. 

This solved my issued. Very helpful tool and very powerful. Easy to use too considering you are just adding a few files to a library. 

Sunday, December 31, 2017 12:06 PM