none
Unable to turn on Windows Defender after McAfee Uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows 8 x64 that came preloaded with trial McAfee. Uninstalled after trial and security screens inform Defender turned off. Selecting to turn off does not configure the change. What is easiest way to fix issue and "move on" ?
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:19 PM

Answers

• Run regedit.exe, go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender

and change the values from DisableAntiSpyware and DisableAntiVirus to 1.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:34 PM

All replies

• Run regedit.exe, go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender

and change the values from DisableAntiSpyware and DisableAntiVirus to 1.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:34 PM
  • is there a more user friendly answer?  certainly MS wouldn't expect all users to be comfortable with this answer.  Is there no other way to turn it back on?  I am disappointed at how often changing registries is the answer to something that should be as easy as clicking boxes or changing settings.
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 2:03 PM
  • Since, you're the one, who seems to know your way around windows, I would have a question, I have enabled windows defender, but it fails to update the virus definition, and the mentioned values are also stuck at 0, if I try to change them to 1, an error message pops up saying it is unable to modify the value, I would be very happy with any help. I had Mcaffee preinstalled on my computer which I have removed...
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:22 PM
  • Hi,

I bought a Windows 10 HP laptop for my wife and immediately uninstalled Mcafee. Having the same problem with Defender not running. I followed your registry command all the way to ....Microsoft\Windows Defender, and then I have only one option to click on--"Policy Manager"--but no "DisableAntiSpyware or anything like that. I'm nervous changing stuff in the registry without knowing exactly what I'm doing. Can you help?

Friday, March 10, 2017 9:43 AM