Can users with permissions change an InfoPath 2007 form once it has been published on SharePoint 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys, I'm just wondering if it is possible for a someone with certain permission to change an InfoPath 2007 form once it has been published on SharePoint 2010. Is there any out-of-the box options that will allow me to make this possible?
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Clayton,

I would like to know for both the form template(XSN) annd the form(XML). I was asking this because another person(an IT consultant) told me that other users couldn't change a form(XML) once it is created.

That's very much untrue - not sure why anyone would say that.  Both can be changed with different levels of permissions.  For the form template, you need to have Full Control of the library the form template.  Design may work, but I don't use that permission level often and haven't tested.  Basically, a regular contributor reader can't change the form template.  However, the XML forms are nothing more than items in the library just like a Word doc in a doc lib or a list item in a list.  Each item has its own permissions, which are inherited from the list/library by default, but they can also be granularly changed.  By default, someone who can submit a new form can also edit every form in that form library.  All it takes is the edit permission, which is included in the OOTB Contribute permission.  There is nothing built-in that would cause a submitted InfoPath form to be non-editable.  We have to incorporate custom, dynamic permissions via workflow to make that happen.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Green Techie Monday, June 28, 2010 4:44 PM
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:25 PM

All replies

• When you say "form," do you mean the form template?  Big difference between the form template (XSN) and the form (XML). The 2007 and 2010 aspect isn't relevant.  The only thing that matters is the user's permissions.  If they have proper rights on the form library, then they can update the form template through publishing or by directly copying over it in the hidden /Forms folder.

Out-of-the-box options?  Yeah, just raise permissions.  THis seems very basic, so are you asking something more complicated?

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Hi Clayton,

I would like to know for both the form template(XSN) annd the form(XML). I was asking this because another person(an IT consultant) told me that other users couldn't change a form(XML) once it is created.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Hi Clayton,

That's very much untrue - not sure why anyone would say that.  Both can be changed with different levels of permissions.  For the form template, you need to have Full Control of the library the form template.  Design may work, but I don't use that permission level often and haven't tested.  Basically, a regular contributor reader can't change the form template.  However, the XML forms are nothing more than items in the library just like a Word doc in a doc lib or a list item in a list.  Each item has its own permissions, which are inherited from the list/library by default, but they can also be granularly changed.  By default, someone who can submit a new form can also edit every form in that form library.  All it takes is the edit permission, which is included in the OOTB Contribute permission.  There is nothing built-in that would cause a submitted InfoPath form to be non-editable.  We have to incorporate custom, dynamic permissions via workflow to make that happen.
    • Marked as answer by Green Techie Monday, June 28, 2010 4:44 PM
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:25 PM