How new installed client/server gets updates when wsus deletes old updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

In an organization server's "windows update service" have been disabled for almost 6 months and some of them for a year, and WSUS deletes old updates. My question is in this situation how new installed windows 2008R2 gets updates from WSUS? some updates are needed as prerequisites for other ones. 

Now that I enabled windows update service, I'm Seeing a critical update in WSUS console for a server that when I click on "check for updates" server can not find anything for install (enough time is past).

and the last question: Is it reasonable to you to have 2 separate wsus servers one for clients and one for servers? I'm trying to solve Servers updates issues first. that's the reason I am thinking of this way.

Relative settings: 

Check for updates every 22hours
    Auto download and notify for install
    Scheduled install Every Monday 12:00
    No Auto-restart: notify the user to restart the computer
    Re-prompt for restart every 60min: now or postpone

Thanks in advance

• Edited by Ghasem Shams Saturday, January 27, 2018 10:05 AM
    Saturday, January 27, 2018 9:25 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your kindly replay

cleanup is done by server cleanup wizard. this wizard just deletes superseded updates or all old updates?

about second question I found the problem, it was related to GPO. thanks to you

about 3rd one, do you have any article or link to know when I will need second wsus? and a the database for each or both? and these kind of configurations. there is 500 computers for getting updates.

Cleanup wizard can delete those old declined updates.

In my opinion, you do not have to set a second WSUS to support 500 computers, one WSUS server is enough.

You can create complex hierarchies of WSUS servers, to get more information for complex hierarchies, please refer to the link below:

https://technet.microsoft.com/nl-nl/library/cc720448(v=ws.10).aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ghasem Shams Monday, January 29, 2018 12:44 PM
    Monday, January 29, 2018 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hello,

How did you delete old update? By server cleanup wizard? Or delete metadata in database?

Have you approved the needed updates to the new Windows 2008 R2 server? I suggest you manually install the needed update on the server, and check whether it can successfully install it.

In my point of view, you do not need to have separate WSUS server for clients and servers. As there is no different for clients and servers. 

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 29, 2018 2:40 AM

cleanup is done by server cleanup wizard. this wizard just deletes superseded updates or all old updates?

about 3rd one, do you have any article or link to know when I will need second wsus? and a the database for each or both? and these kind of configurations. there is 500 computers for getting updates.

Monday, January 29, 2018 8:38 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you to :

1) check Products tab in Options and verify that updates for Win2008R2 is selected

2) set all declined updates to Not Approved state

3) check for updates on target server

4) in WSUS console you will see updates that needed for this server (include Needed Count column into view)

5) Approve needed updates

Monday, January 29, 2018 8:52 AM

Cleanup wizard can delete those old declined updates.

In my opinion, you do not have to set a second WSUS to support 500 computers, one WSUS server is enough.

You can create complex hierarchies of WSUS servers, to get more information for complex hierarchies, please refer to the link below:

https://technet.microsoft.com/nl-nl/library/cc720448(v=ws.10).aspx

• Marked as answer by Ghasem Shams Monday, January 29, 2018 12:44 PM
    Monday, January 29, 2018 9:57 AM