Unusual OS failure RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to repair an xppro sp3 os that has lost keyboard and mouse functionality preventing logon. Os repair fails due to loss of keyboard and mouse at installation. I installed a second fresh xppro sp3 os on the same drive in a folder named winxppro. My intention is to restore the keyboard and mouse functionality to the original os from this os. All is set except for the how-to. Can anyone advise me on what may be necessary to replace/repair in the original windows folders to restore the keyboard and mouse functionality for the purpose of completing the os repair of same. I am an uneducated hard core DIY guy and very much appreciate critique of my method and advice that helps me become more knowledgeable; so if it appears I'm trying to build a bridge over a mud puddle let me know. Thanks 
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:50 PM

All replies

• Are the keyboard and mouse PS2 (round connector) or USB (flat connector)?  If they're PS2 then try the repair install with a USB keyboard and mouse connected.  

There's really no good way to transfer the files from a working system to an inoperative one unless you know exactly why it stopped working in the first place and which files to copy.  If you've already installed the second copy and it boots and works fine your best bet is to reinstall all the application programs, copy the user settings to the new installation and just go with that.

@GambitMaster - sorry, but you are mistaken.  While there is a 64-bit version of XP Pro that only goes to SP2 (based on the 64-bit Server 2003 kernel), most XP Pro installations are 32-bit and require SP3 to continue to receive updates and patches from Microsoft.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:56 PM
  • Thanks. The input hardware is PS2; since the fresh install works fine my intuition is that a usb device won't make a difference, but I will try that to learn for sure.

I have already copied ntuser and other structure to new install leaving reinstall of apps next.

I've thought of a bckup and restore of the 1st to the 2nd as well, but I expect to end up with two broken installs after doing so. I'm inclined to try for the experience, except my user is pulling hair by the handful needing to get back online, (Father-in-law.)

JWE

Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:51 PM
  • boot from hiern boot cd or ers cd and recover the copy paste the corrupted files into original os 
    Thursday, August 13, 2020 4:04 AM