none
FAILURE ( 7706 ): ERROR! Drive D: was not found! RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if anybody run into this issue and could point me in the right direction.

I have been using MDT for over 4 years and last week was the first time that I have ever seen this "FAILURE ( 7706 ): ERROR! Drive D: was not found!" message. I'm running a MDT 2013 deployment server with AIK 8.1 and this error occured while imaging a Surface Pro 3.

We successfully imaged about  +10 Surface's with this MDT build however they all had 128GB SSD's and and 4GB of RAM this one that failed has a 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM and the issue was replicated on another Surface with the exact same specs.

So far I have;

1) Tried another Surface Pro 3 of the same SKU and it had the exact same issue.

2) Successfully imaged this Surface with Windows 10 and with the Windows 8.1 Pro Surface Pro 3 recover image from Microsoft using USB media.

3) Updated my deployment share to MDT 2013 Update 1 and AIK 10 and tried both the original MDT 2013 standard deployment Task Sequence and the updated MDT 2013 standard deployment Task Sequence both modified for Surface Pro 3 (Driver Firmware, patches etc...)

4) Updated the Surface Pro 3 driver set with the very latest drivers but I noticed that even the latest drivers still uses the Intel ahci 8 driver from 2013 that the worked fine on the other 128GB SSD 4GB RAM Surface Pro 3 SKU's that we imaged before.

When looking at the BDD.log I can see that SSD drive is successfully cleared of any existing partition but it fails to create any partitions and after it fails in WinPE if you manually run Diskpart no drives seems to be available even though driver for the storage controller should still be loaded.

I have done a lot of research and I have found similar issues but none of the solution suggested has solved this issue and I'm running out of things to try.

Here are some of the Logs Files, let me know if any others are required;

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3fd6cdd8cde1b711!114&authkey=!APd0_2xdY_3izhQ&ithint=file%2cLOG
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3fd6cdd8cde1b711!115&authkey=!AIQSsEoJ0LBvCZE&ithint=file%2clog
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3fd6cdd8cde1b711!116&authkey=!AD6FuNbGaKVTpW4&ithint=file%2clog

Thanks in advanced.

• Edited by Hardkn0X Sunday, September 27, 2015 10:25 PM missing log files
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 3:11 AM

Answers

• HardknoX,

Were you able to figure this out?  I noticed that when mdt partitions the surface's drive, it creates a 235GB Recovery partition.

Sean 

If you created new task sequences in 8298 then this won't happen.  If you upgrade from 8290 and kept the same TS then this will.

Most important details are logs. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/

Friday, October 9, 2015 3:35 PM

All replies

• Can you post logs to something like OneDrive?

Most important details are logs. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/

Friday, September 25, 2015 10:54 PM
  • Hi Ty Glander

Thanks for the reply, I uploaded them to OneDrive and put the links in at the top for BDD.LOG, smsts.log and ZTIDiskpart.log.

Let me know if any others are required.

Thanks

HK

Sunday, September 27, 2015 10:31 PM
  • You had a serious error on the machine:

Console > DiskPart has encountered an error: The parameter is incorrect.

Basically the disk disappeared during the format of the large partition. This is a Catastrophic failure, something that MDT can not recover from, you should reboot the machine.

You might be able to try again, but no guarantees.

IF I had to guess, I would say that the firmware needed to be updated. Boot to a normal OS, and run the Surface Pro 3 *.msi package from: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

If you continue to have problems please contact Microsoft Support.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Sunday, September 27, 2015 11:08 PM
  • Hi Keith Garner;

Thanks for replying.

I noticed the DiskPart error too and no dice on the firmware update.

After using the Surface Windows 8.1 recovery media (which can successfully partition and image this device) I used the latest firmware (SurfacePro3_150623.msi) to update it and retried the deployment with MDT, but it failed with exactly the same error as before and the logs appear to have identical errors.

So I guess the next step is to talk to Microsoft Support, but before I do that I will try a few other things and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks again.

If anybody else have any other ideas please let me know.

Monday, September 28, 2015 2:01 AM
  • I am experiencing this same issue with our Surfaces.  I have been able to image Surfaces until today when I received Failure (7706):  Error!  Drive C: was not found!  I am running MDT 2013 Update 1 version 6.3.8298.1000.  The last time I was able to image a Surface, I was running MDT 2013 Update 1 version 6.3.8290.1000.
    • Edited by SeanMess Wednesday, September 30, 2015 3:19 PM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 3:14 PM
  • HardknoX,

Were you able to figure this out?  I noticed that when mdt partitions the surface's drive, it creates a 235GB Recovery partition.

Sean 

Friday, October 2, 2015 5:28 PM
  • Unfortunately not, the CTO that I work for does not want me to spend anymore time on it and I had to return the device so that it can be sold so I'm unable to run any more tests to try and resolve the issue.

Thanks to everybody that has responded and tried to help and sorry to all those that this post won't help you can thank my short sighted CTO for that.

Regards HK

Thursday, October 8, 2015 10:52 PM
  • HardknoX,

Sean 

If you created new task sequences in 8298 then this won't happen.  If you upgrade from 8290 and kept the same TS then this will.

Friday, October 9, 2015 3:35 PM
  • Just had something similar here; same error message anyway.

Mine turned out to be a VERY NEW model of laptop with what I can only describe as buggy firmware.  In short, OS initiated reboot tends to result in the drive "disappearing"... but switch off then on and it detects perfectly fine.  There is no BIOS update at all yet.

Sunday, November 8, 2015 8:13 PM
  • Got the exact same error on two Surface 3 pro devices.

Creating a new TS with version  6.3.8330.1000 doesn't solve the issue.

Another strange thing is that other surface pro 3 devices new from box are deploying with no issues.

Only two specific devices have this problem.

I also tried the following:

1. I removed the recovery partition from the TS to try if this could be a problem, but i get the exact same problem.
    2. Create a clean TS
    3. Wipe the Surface clean and install WIndows 8 from CD  > Installing OK, but deployment doenst work
    4. Wipe the Surface clean and install WIndows 8 recovery from USB  > Installing OK, but deployment doenst work
    Friday, January 22, 2016 1:35 PM
  • I think i found the issue

I'ts look like a driver problem. I deleted all of my drivers in MDT and added only the Surface Pro 3 drivers. After this action the deployments seems to go withouth any problems.

i think the problem occurs after i added the surface pro 4 drivers to MDT. I will check this.

• Proposed as answer by Joost Jansen Monday, January 25, 2016 3:30 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 3:30 PM
  • Hi,

I have similar issues with MDT and the DELL LATITUDE E7440 laptops (BIOS A18)

With 8Gb ram and 128Gb SSD it is working fine

With 8Gb ram and 256Gb SSD it is NOT (Getting the 7706 error)

This is not just down to one laptop I tried 5-6 of the above.

I had the problem on a Latitude E7470 (8GB ram, 256SSD), but upgrading the Bios from v1.5.3 to the latest v1.6.3 BIOS solved it.

Call logged with Dell Tech Support. If I get any Joy I will post my findings here.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 2:08 PM
  • Were you able to figure out the problem?  Having the same problem on Surface Pro 3 with 256GB SSD.
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 5:06 PM
  • I've seen the problem a few times on Surface Pro 3's that I got back from Microsoft's Replacement program and tried to image via MDT.  On the ones where this was an issue, I had never booted to the native OS from Microsoft (8.1 in this case) and I had performed a clean of "Disk 0" using DISKPART.  In the instances where my MDT deployment worked, I booted to the native OS (8.1) selected "English" as the default language and then held down the power button to turn off the unit.  MDT Deployment works after that.  I believe from reading this thread, the issue that may be causing the error (Failure 7706) is simply a firmware issue, and the firmware just needs to be upgraded by booting to the OS.  Let me know if you notice similar issues on your end!
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 6:53 PM