First click on each site collection for each user takes 10 second RRS feed

• Question

• SharePoint 2007- medium farm with dedicated SQL 2005. 
    Current abnormality is the each user experiences 10 seconds delay on the first attempt on each site collection and each web part, then 3 seconds delay on all second and later tries.
    1. 32 bit Win 2003 sp2 SharePoint server 2007 Version: 12.0.6425.1000, .net 2 framework 4 extended , Office professional 2007, silver light 
    2. 32 bit Win 2003 sp2 SQL 2005 sp2 Version: 9.0.4053. All SQL services are running.
    Applications: 
    1.   SSP
    2.   Central admin 
    3.   Home Site 
    	a.   25 site collections, which all have their own databases.
    	b.   Largest content database is around 10 G.

Any idea what could cause this deficiency?

Sara
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:23 PM

Answers

• It does make sense to add application server in your case. Read this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263044(office.12).aspx. Try to optimize site crawl. For example if you have Sites with archive data do not crawl it every 15 minutes.  I suggest you to migrate on 64 bits and add memory to servers, move Index files on a separate disk and etc.

Oleg
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:12 AM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:07 PM

All replies

• Does it happen for every site collection or just specific?

Oleg
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:20 PM
  • For every site collection and for every user.

It is a known issue with IIS processors recycling that the first person who access the site experience longer wait time at the first attempt after recycle.

But, in my case, it is for every user and for every site collection.

Sara
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:28 PM
  • You have to aggregate some statistics about server usage to figure out what is wrong. I suggest you to run perfomance counters on your server. This is a good list what you need to monitoring http://blogs.msdn.com/b/joelo/archive/2007/01/16/good-list-of-performance-counters.aspx. You have one WFE 32bit. Maybe the server running out of memeory.

Oleg
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:52 PM
  • Yes, I have one dedicated 32 bit sharepoint server to work as Index server, Front-End Server.

I know the cpu and memory usage are at high. But, I don't know what is causing it. I ran the trace every hour which brough the portal to extermly poor performance and I stopped it in both sharepoint and sql servers.

These are the changes to the envirnment:

1. A new sharepoint dev envirnment( replica of the production) with one user(me) to the network. 
    2. A new dev IIS server for testing a web application.
    3. one of the site is reached 10 G . The site has many hits a days.
    4. There are 25 site collections on 25 content databases
    5. Some of the site collections are not in use and some have many hits every hour.

Alll servers are 32bit win 2003.

What do you recommend:

Taking Index server out of Front-end server?

thanks,

Sara
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:49 PM
  • It does make sense to add application server in your case. Read this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263044(office.12).aspx. Try to optimize site crawl. For example if you have Sites with archive data do not crawl it every 15 minutes.  I suggest you to migrate on 64 bits and add memory to servers, move Index files on a separate disk and etc.

Oleg
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:12 AM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:07 PM