Sharepoint Databases RRS feed

• Question

• How does one find the exact database that is being used for content (word documents, etc) for our Sharepoint 2007 farm? We only have one SP 2007 server with a seperate SQL 2005 SQL server.  I go into Operations and I see Servers in Farm, but this only tells me the SQL server name and not the actual database name for my content. There is going to be a few different databases, but I don't know where to find those names in Central Administration. Any help would be appreciated!

Thx.

-R

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Generally if the default naming conventions were used, you can go into the SQL server and look for databases that start with WSS_Content_* ( * is usally a GUID if you used defaults )

If not, you can go into Central Admin and use the manage content databases functionality, but as I recall that only lets you look at the content databases for one web application at a time.

ieDaddy
    Blog: http://iedaddy.com
    Twit: @iedaddy

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:30 PM
  • You can find this in Central Administration.

This article should help: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262137(v=office.12).aspx

-victor

Be a part of the community, please remember to indicate if your question/comment has been answered or is helpful.

• Marked as answer by RBanse Friday, July 19, 2013 12:03 PM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:35 PM
  • Thank you. Is this the database that holds all of our content (documents)? We are trying to do a restore using a third party tool but need to locate the SQL database that is storing all of the actual files. If I locate the database you mention above, this database only appears to be 40 mb, which is extremely small considering our SP farm is 15 gb.
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:40 PM
  • Did you try the infomation within the link that iedady provided?  Make sure that you had the corect Web Application selected when looking at the content databases.

Additionally, what third party tool are you using?  They often come with literature telling you which database to plug into.

Cheers,

Steven Andrews

SharePoint Business Analyst

Blog: Steve's SharePoint Space  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:46 AM
    Answerer
  • I was able to get it figured out. Turns out our Central Administration website is showing the old Central Administration website we had, so that is why I was seeing the wrong database.
    Friday, July 19, 2013 12:04 PM