none
DPM 2010 not creating recovery points RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me with the issue I'm having:

I have a DC running Windows Server 2008 R2 which just doesn't want to back up!

There is no specific error message as to why it is failing (unless I'm looking in the wrong place) and no errors on the DC etiher.

I have found a DPMRA service that isn't running. I have tried starting it and then performing the backup but that doesn't work etiher.

I seem to be stabbing around in the dark here so if anyone could give me some pointers I'd be extremely grateful!

Thanks in advance,

Cat

Monday, January 16, 2012 2:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You should see an error message in the DPM Administrative console. Go to Monitoring and select the Jobs tab. If you've tried running the backup for this DC today or yesterday you can select the filter named "Failed jobs for yesterday and today" and look for a job failure for this DC.

Please report the details of the error back here and we can help you.

Thanks,

Marc

Monday, January 16, 2012 2:57 PM
  • At the moment, all of the jobs say that a task already exists for the same data source.

Usually, when I say they fail, they run for days and transfer nothing. It doesn't even look like they properly start. I've seen them go on as long as over 70 hours.

Monday, January 16, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

this sounds like there might be a VSS problem. Have you tried to run the "vssadmin list writers" command on the DC? Are all of them in an OK status or do you see problems there?

Monday, January 16, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Hello,

Your statement of: " they run for days and transfer nothing. It doesn't even look like they properly start. I've seen them go on as long as over 70 hours." is concerning. 

I suggest to:

1.) Start an adhoc backup
    2.) Go to the target server and open up a cmd prompt. Type "vssadmin list writers". Are the writers in a healthy state?
    3.) Also type "vssadmin list shadows" see if any shadow copies have been taken.
    4.) Do you see any vss related errors in the event log of the target server? Please check both application and system event logs.

Curious what datasources are you attempting to backup anyway? BMR? System State? Files?

Thanks

Shane

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:19 AM
  • Hi Shane,

I started a bacup and then typed in the vssadmin list writers command and got the following:

Error: A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error.
    Check the Application event log for more information.

In the Event Viewer, I have this under the VSS Error:

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and name IVssCoordinatorEx2 cannot be started. [0x80070005, Access is denied.
    ]

Operation:
       Instantiating VSS server

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.

Operation:
       Instantiating VSS server

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and name Coordinator cannot be started. [0x80070005, Access is denied.
    ]

This is a file backup but there is another server which I am trying to do System State also.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:04 AM
  • Just throw a spanner in the works, this server is actually running as a VM on Hyper-V 2008.

I have checked the logs on the Hyper-V server and I get this:

The description for Event ID 8214 from source VSS cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

0x800706ba, The RPC server is unavailable.

Operation:
       Gathering Writer Data

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de}
       Writer Name: Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {6e42826d-9514-4dac-aa98-4dde092f8029}

The handle is invalid

I have also run those commands again and the writers are in a healthy state (no errors). Shadow copies have been taken successfully also.

• Edited by Cat.Lewis Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:32 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Hello,

Just for clarity........

a.) Are we backing up the VHD
    OR
    b.) Are we backing up files within the guest.  The agent being installed on the guest VM itself.
    c.) What type of datasource is this?

Thanks
    Shane

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:30 PM
  • I had the same problem trying to backup a DC before and couldnt get it working or have the agent communicating.

1.Install the feature Windows Server Backup on the domain controller and ensure there is around 7gb free space on the system volume.If not let me know and we can redirect the system state backup to a different volume.

2.On the DC in the built in "users" group ensure the following are members of that group.

Interactive
    Domain users
    Authenticated users

Right click on the users group
    Click the tab that says members of
    Make sure those groups above are in there. If they aren't.. add them.

Sean

Sean
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:07 PM