none
Clear formatting done randomly at some tasks fields RRS feed

• Question

• I received a project plan where formatting has been done on tasks in different fields, e.g. on task 1 duration is bolded and highlighted, while on task 2 resources and in different font; these have been initially done to highlight some critical information, but now have to remove all these formatting. Couldn’t find an easy way to do that, is that have to be done at each cell level?

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:19 AM

Answers

• Select all the rows for which you want different cells in different fields to be cleared of the formatting, using CTRL and click; now click on "Task" in top ribbon go to the last tab in this Menu Bar -> "Editing," there you have a command -> Clear, click on the small triangle there it opens other options related to Clear, select "Clear Formatting"

This will remove all the formatting associated with the those tasks and you could still have your customa Gantt view intact.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:26 AM

All replies

• Either Select all cells then clear formats or create your own Gantt chart with n custom formatting.

In a scenario like this, best not to heavily customize the main Gantt Chart, a copy of the View should be made and format the copy. This means you only have to swap back to the original unformatted View for business as usual!

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:32 AM
  • If the formatting has been done to the original Gantt Chart and you want back to the original Gantt Chart formatting, you can use the organiser to get a clean version of the view into your file. First you have to switch to a different view such as the tracking Gantt, then file, organizer, View tab, then copy the Gantt Chart view on the left (the one in the global template) into your file on the right. This will over-write the one with all of the extra formatting so if you want to keep it, make a copy of it first.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:38 AM
  • You don't mention the version of MSProject, but in 2010 and 2013 there is the ability to reset the view back to the default.  The attached screenshot is from 2010.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:05 AM
  • Thanks Rod for taking out time to suggest on this. The Gantt view has been customized and there are 2000 tasks in the plan with some hundreds of formatted cells, I don’t see any option to remove the formatting in an easy way; is there any option, please suggest.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:11 AM
  • Thanks Trevor  for taking out time to suggest on this. I have customized the copy of Gantt View (have default Gantt already intact) and only thing I want to remove is the formatting of the random tasks/cells in different fields added to customized Gantt view. I’m looking for options to remove random highlights, font changes, color changes applied to various field cells to depict some critical information.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:14 AM
  • Select all the rows for which you want different cells in different fields to be cleared of the formatting, using CTRL and click; now click on "Task" in top ribbon go to the last tab in this Menu Bar -> "Editing," there you have a command -> Clear, click on the small triangle there it opens other options related to Clear, select "Clear Formatting"

This will remove all the formatting associated with the those tasks and you could still have your customa Gantt view intact.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:26 AM