xp intermittent loss of web access RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows xp sp3 machine that intermittently loses web access via Outlook, browser, even local server software does not work.  However, when this happens, I can ping everything and I can tracert to www.google.com with no issues.  If I reboot, problem goes away, but after a day or so it comes back.  Any suggestions on what to look at would be appreciated.

NC Bob

Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:22 PM

All replies

• Please check events logs during this event, and post if you see any issues. 

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Wednesday, June 7, 2017 1:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by NC_Bob Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:59 PM
    Monday, April 1, 2013 5:06 AM
  • There is only one set of errors.  MSSOAP error, event ID 16.  There are 3 listings, the ID 16 error, a MSSOAP error stating that loading of WSDL file failed and a 3rd error XML parser failed at linenumber 0. 

I could not find anything related to these errors relative to losing internet access.

I forgot to mention in the initial post that the subject XP machine is a desktop on a wired network.  All other machines on the network continue to work fine when this machine cannot get out.

NC Bob

Monday, April 1, 2013 4:21 PM
  • Can you ping out exchange server or mailbox during this period? Also, any thing blocked via firewall?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 3:27 PM
  • I can ping everything.  I can resolve www.google.com via tracert and ping the router and any of the network computers.

The firewall is the standard Win XP firewall.  Since it works when I restart I doubt it is blocking anything.

NC Bob

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 10:31 PM
  • When you're using outlook for accessing mail, you can check if you're connected to the server by: press and hold control key, then right click on outlook icon in task bar and select the Connection status option. This would show you the connectivity with the exchange server. 

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:10 AM
  • We are not using exchange.  Just outlook as a pop client.  Also it is not just outlook that does not work.  IE does not work either.

NC Bob

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 3:23 PM
  • Try to check what actually is getting blocked/dropped using WireShark. 

• Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:38 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by NC_Bob Saturday, June 22, 2013 10:55 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 7:27 AM
  • Everything is blocked.  When the problem occurs the computer completely loses network access and internet access.  Reboot and it works fine for several hours, until it is left to idle.  After a lengthy idle, such as over night it loses network access.  It can only be restored via a reboot.

NC Bob

• Proposed as answer by Rdokoye Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rdokoye Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:21 PM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:13 PM
  • Given the unspecific nature of your description, I’m going to list a number of things that you should/can do.

The first thing you’ll want to do is determine whether or not it’s a hardware or software issue. You didn’t specify how you connect to the internet, is it through a wireless device, NIC or the built in Ethernet Port? If it’s through a third party device, i.e. wireless USB device, then you should consider reinserting the device to see whether that re-establishes your internet connection. If so, then you could put the issue down to either a hardware fault (USB device) or a driver issue.

If it’s a NIC, then you should consider disabling and enabling the device in Device Manager, to see whether that re-establishes your internet connection. If it does, then you can pinpoint your issue to the NIC.

If you connect to your router via your Ethernet Port, then you should rebuild your network connection (in My Network Places). If that works, then consider reinstalling your motherboard drivers.

If none of the solutions above work, then it’s definitely an issue with the operating system, in which case, you’d want to do a repair installation of your OS. That’s assuming that the issue only occurs on that computer and not on all computers that attempt to access the internet through that specific internet source.

• Edited by Rdokoye Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:06 PM formatting
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Wednesday, June 7, 2017 1:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by NC_Bob Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:59 PM
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  More details - network connection is via mobo ethernet chip. Wired, not wireless. When it fails, then you can still ping and tracert inside AND outside but not use Outlook or browsers. All other machines work fine all the time both internally and externally.  I will try your suggestion on the drivers but seems more like a Win XP problem to me?

NC Bob

• Edited by NC_Bob Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:06 PM mistyped
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:02 PM