Alphabetize All Programs RRS feed

• Question

• I have Win 7 and wish I never gave up XP. How do I get all my programs ("Start" and "All Programs" )in strict alpha order ?? Right now, programs run alphabetically from  Acrobat to XPS Viewer..then another group (yellow folders) run from "Accessories" to "Windows Live".  Very confusing and difficult to find what I want. Thank you..
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:50 PM

Answers

• 1. Those items  coloured in yellow are folders, i.e. they have sub-entries in them.

2. Sort the All Programs menu by dragging the item up or down to the position you want it to occupy:
    A. Firstly, right-click the Windows Orb (Start) > Properties > Start Menu Tab > Customize, scroll down to the bottom and remove the tick from Sort All Programs menu by name > OK > Apply, etc.
    B. Go to Start > All Programs and select the item you want to reposition, hold down the mouse left button and drag it up or down until you see the message ‘Move to ……’, then release the mouse where you want it positioned.

Sort the pinned items in the Start Menu by holding down the left mouse button and dragging the item to where you want it positioned.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, June 13, 2011 9:08 AM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 6:22 PM

All replies

• 1. Those items  coloured in yellow are folders, i.e. they have sub-entries in them.

2. Sort the All Programs menu by dragging the item up or down to the position you want it to occupy:
    A. Firstly, right-click the Windows Orb (Start) > Properties > Start Menu Tab > Customize, scroll down to the bottom and remove the tick from Sort All Programs menu by name > OK > Apply, etc.
    B. Go to Start > All Programs and select the item you want to reposition, hold down the mouse left button and drag it up or down until you see the message ‘Move to ……’, then release the mouse where you want it positioned.

Sort the pinned items in the Start Menu by holding down the left mouse button and dragging the item to where you want it positioned.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, June 13, 2011 9:08 AM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 6:22 PM
  • That is such an idiotic way of alphabetizing the programs.
    Isn't there a way like there was in XP to do that more easily?
    It seems that Microsoft has gone backwards in a lot of things in Windows 7.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:08 AM