"The server is out of memory" when creating a new web app. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm just a beginner of MOSS2007. The fact is that I'm planning to use MOSS to create an interactive web page containing pivot table list/chart; however, after finished the installation of MOSS and MSSQL 2005 I got a trouble while I was configuring moss 2007. Every time I create a new web application within the UI the error happens which says "The server is out of memory" without any information. Could anyone tell me how to figure this problem out.

Here is the server spec :

Windows server 2003 Standard Edition SP2(32bits)

CPU:Intel Xeon E5440 @2.83GHz

Ram:3.25

thx in advance

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, May 23, 2011 2:42 PM Time pressure in text removed; Title re-written in a logical order with full error message.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 10:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Shihwei,

First, where are you seeing this error? Have you checked the application logs and the SharePoint ULS logs to see if they offer more information?

Second, What is your server running other than SharePoint and SQL 2005? If you are running antivirus, did you set it to not scan your database files?

Third, check out this Capacity Planning center for SharePoint 2007. It can be very helpful in letting you know what you should and shouldnt do.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sharepointserver/bb736741.aspx

More specificaly, check out this article that details performance(which is the first link on the page):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc261700(office.12).aspx

Fourth, upgrade MOSS to service pack 2 if you havent already. It helps with many performance issues.

Hope this helps!

• Marked as answer by ShihWei Chou Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:19 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ShihWei Chou Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by ShihWei Chou Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:26 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 2:32 PM

All replies