Use of Edge Transport Server RRS feed

• Question

• I want to know when a Edge Transport Server will be used. Scenario is as Head office is connected to a branch office and a SOHO using internet. Soho is a different forest. Head office & branch office are different different sites within a same domain. Each of the three have a Edge transport server. 

I want to know when head office will send a mail to branch office, edge transport server will be used or hub to hub communication will occur.

Basically I want to know what thing define that edge transport server will be used or neglecting like if

1.) domain is different

2.) forest is different

3.) communication over internet

4.) different sites etc...

Thanx

Vipin Tyagi (MCSE 2003) Windows Admin
    Friday, December 2, 2011 6:59 AM

Answers

• It doesnt matter how many domains you have, any mails that are sent to internet or coming from the internet to your domain will go through the Edge transport sever

One hub server per site is required. So it doesnt matter how many domains you have.  All you need to worry about the number of sites.

VJ
    • Proposed as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, December 19, 2011 10:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:29 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2011 8:26 AM
  • On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 07:30:57 +0000, Abhay Tyagi wrote:

>So if we are using 2 domains within a site then edge server will be used even if we are sending email within a site.

The number of domains isn't relevant. If the domain is in the
    "Accepted Domains" list it won't exit the organization and, so, never
    touch the Edge server.

>Another question is a single hub server can be used for multiple domains within a site or a hub server for each domain.

A hub server is used for every e-mail sent by an Outlook, OWA, or
    ActiveSync client, regardless of the domain. Since a HT role is
    required in each AD site that has a mailbox server, only one HT role
    is required if you have only one AD site that contains a mailbox
    server role.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by Abhay Tyagi Saturday, December 3, 2011 8:39 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Abhay Tyagi Saturday, December 3, 2011 8:40 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, December 19, 2011 10:06 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2011 11:02 PM

All replies

• Head office to Branch office email flow will happen through hub. Edge is not involved as its with in the same domain.

Edge transport will be used only to process a foreign email from internet addressed to a user in your domain or an email which is sent to a foreign address from a user in your domain. Exceptions can be set to have direct relay on hub though its not recommended.

-Cheers Shaba
    Friday, December 2, 2011 7:17 AM
  • So if we are using 2 domains within a site then edge server will be used even if we are sending email within a site.

Another question is a single hub server can be used for multiple domains within a site or a hub server for each domain. 

• Edited by Abhay Tyagi Friday, December 2, 2011 7:49 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2011 7:30 AM
  • It doesnt matter how many domains you have, any mails that are sent to internet or coming from the internet to your domain will go through the Edge transport sever

One hub server per site is required. So it doesnt matter how many domains you have.  All you need to worry about the number of sites.

VJ
    • Proposed as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, December 19, 2011 10:05 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2011 8:26 AM
  • On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 07:30:57 +0000, Abhay Tyagi wrote:

>So if we are using 2 domains within a site then edge server will be used even if we are sending email within a site.

The number of domains isn't relevant. If the domain is in the
    "Accepted Domains" list it won't exit the organization and, so, never
    touch the Edge server.

>Another question is a single hub server can be used for multiple domains within a site or a hub server for each domain.

A hub server is used for every e-mail sent by an Outlook, OWA, or
    ActiveSync client, regardless of the domain. Since a HT role is
    required in each AD site that has a mailbox server, only one HT role
    is required if you have only one AD site that contains a mailbox
    server role.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by Abhay Tyagi Saturday, December 3, 2011 8:39 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Abhay Tyagi Saturday, December 3, 2011 8:40 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, December 19, 2011 10:06 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2011 11:02 PM
  • Hi abhay,

Any update for your issue?

Regards!

Gavin

TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 19, 2011 10:04 AM
  •       AS I got from the above answers, if we are using if we are using 3 domains in the same forest but 1 domain name in not listed in the " Accepted Domain ", it will go to the Edge server or it will domain configuration.

Other question is :

How would system know that we are going to connect to the specified domain through Internet?

• Edited by Abhay Tyagi Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:05 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:01 AM
  • Hi Abhay,

AS I got from the above answers, if we are using if we are using 3 domains in the same forest but 1 domain name in not listed in the " Accepted Domain ", it will go to the Edge server or it will domain configuration.
    A: If you have three domains in the same forest, and you have two listed in the "accepted domain", that means you just accepted emails for the two smtp address space, right?
    In the other words, there is no relationship between the domain and the accepted domain, you could add any accepted domain with any smtp address space, it is not depend on the AD domain.
    For your second question:
    A: If you have two accepcted domains, and the email system would accept any emails which send to the smtp address, and the email system would referto AD to confirm what mailbox server was the mailbox hosted.
    That means, all the email system is works together, there is no domain that you think, there are different accepted domain for the different smtp address of the mailbox, and then mailboxs are linked to the accounts of different AD domains.

Regards!

Gavin

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:39 AM
  • Actually My query is for Edge Server. In which conditions Edge server is used?
    Friday, January 13, 2012 6:43 AM
  • Hi Abhay,

Edge server is used in the site which is send to outsige and receive email from outside.
    When we add the accepted domains on the edge server, there maybe two kind, such as internal relay and external relay.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124701.aspx

regards!

Gavin

Friday, January 13, 2012 9:31 AM
  • As I got is that when a mail is to go out of site, it contacts to the edge transport server regardless our domain structure. 

For example: If we are using two domains in a single site and sending mail from 1 domain to another domain, it will not communicate to the edge server. While if we are sending mail within a single domain but different sites, it will connect to the edge transport server.

Is my understanding is right?

• Edited by Abhay Tyagi Friday, January 13, 2012 10:18 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 10:07 AM