none
winload.efi , can't boot pxe and other questions RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to boot a new lenovo x1 carbon pc but I get this error:

1. When I read this on google it said I need to update my PE?

2. How can I see what version of PE I have?

3.Will I lose all my drivers if I update my PE?

I updated my MDT to 2013 update 1 and WAIK 10 to be able to deploy windows 10.My workaround for this error is to disable secure boot, and change UEFI mode to Legacy only then I can pxe boot.

4.Do you know any other solution?

My other questions are:

5. Do you know what ROW I can't write in customsettings.ini to create a local account that is not admin and assign it lets say a name and a password? Can the password be random and saved somewhere like ad or a text document? Sometimes people don't have a network when they receive our their new pcs and this could be a solution, to logon to a local account and the remote it.

6. Can I choose to hide a task sequence that will deploy windows 10 but still choose it somehow? I want to test deploy windows 10 without other users being able to choose that task sequence?

7. Is it also possibly to change the pxe language to Swedish keyboard instead of English?

Thank you guys and girl!

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:36 PM

All replies

• I am having this same issue. It seems to have just started this week. We recently updated MDT 2013 to Update 1 for Windows 10. Last week everything was working, but I cannot image anything this week. Hopefully someone will have the answer. 
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 7:13 PM
  • Hi,

Are you running a 2008 r2 server or 2012? Im running 2008 and im about to upgrade and I think 2012 will solve this issue do lack of support to uefi. My workaround is to disable secureboot in bios on my lenovo pc and then change boot to legacy only then the image works fine!

Regards Kjell

Friday, October 16, 2015 7:46 AM
  • I am running Server 2012 with MDT 2013 Update 1. It does support UEFI and it has been working great for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 machines with UEFI bios. This error just started this week. From what I have found so far, we may have created our LiteTouch.iso with a eval version of Windows 10, and it has since expired. I am still looking into this. 
    Friday, October 16, 2015 4:13 PM
  • We have resolved the problem, the Windows 10 ADK was not up to the latest version, there for was a preview version of Windows 10. After downloading and updating the ADK, updated the deployment share and we are back in business. 

The Windows 10 ADK download can be found here. 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/dn913721(v=vs.8.5).aspx

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:52 PM
  • thanks I will try that!

//Kjell

Thursday, November 5, 2015 11:05 AM
  • Hi in boot images it says my os version is 10.0.10240 is that the latest one? but under about wds is says version 6.1.7600.16385, i thought I update it? Otherwise how can it say version 10 on the image :S?

I downloaded from same link I think as you. It looks the same!
    Monday, November 9, 2015 3:19 PM
  • Hi in boot images it says my os version is 10.0.10240 is that the latest one? but under about wds is says version 6.1.7600.16385, i thought I update it? Otherwise how can it say version 10 on the image :S?

I downloaded from same link I think as you. It looks the same!

If you don't update your WDS boot images then this is expected.  See A Geeks Guide for upgrading MDT 2013 to MDT 2013 Update 1

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Monday, November 9, 2015 10:58 PM
  • you mean by updating  the deployment share and completely regenerate the boot image and the import it to wds? I thought I already did that I will try it again!

// Kjell

Friday, November 13, 2015 7:37 AM
  • Hi I have updated the server now to 2012 r2 see I also have the latest WAIK 10 installed .. Updated deployment share and updated boot image. But still I get 2 error messages:

Still get an error message if I don't change UEFI to legacy boot in bios.

and if I dont disable secure boot in bios I get this error message after the install deployment has gone a little bit:

"SECURE BOOT  image failed to verify with *access denied*  ok" deploy

do you know any solutions =)?

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 9:08 AM
  • Hi I have updated the server now to 2012 r2 see I also have the latest WAIK 10 installed .. Updated deployment share and updated boot image. But still I get 2 error messages:

Still get an error message if I don't change UEFI to legacy boot in bios.

and if I dont disable secure boot in bios I get this error message after the install deployment has gone a little bit:

"SECURE BOOT  image failed to verify with *access denied*  ok" deploy

do you know any solutions =)?

anybody knows a solution around disabling secure boot in BIOS?
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 1:32 PM
  • bump
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 7:13 AM
  • bump
    Friday, December 11, 2015 8:50 AM