none
Exchange 2010, high delay with sending emails - TooManySubmissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I've been facing this weird issue where users of one particular server are experiencing extreme delays when sending emails from outlook/OWA.

Outlook would put the email in the sent folder but it wouldn't be picked up by the message queue until very very much later (sometimes up to 1 hour). OWA would leave the message in the draft folder.

The MSGTRKM log give me this error: TooManySubmissions, Too many concurrent submissions from mailbox database. The limit is 8.

The message is quite easy to understand but I can't seem to figure out the root cause... anyone has any input?

Much appreciated.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 10:29 PM

Answers

• Quick update to let y'all know that we figured out it was a networking issue between both sites...

Whenever someone would forward a meeting request, it would start a RPC request to the other site to update the calendar which would have just stuck. After a while, it would try again. After 8 tries, every email would be delayed.

I could confirm there was an issue as a net use to one of the other site Exchange server would go through but a dir would only return the Label and Serial of the drive, jam for a while and then return File not Found.

Monday, October 26, 2015 7:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that there may be too many emails sent for your Exchange environment.

Please can you ensure that your Exchange servers are spec'd up correctly. First, use the script here to get the number of messages and their average size per day: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Exchange-2007-2013-email-b66c5543.

Once done, get the number of emails sent per mailbox per day. 

Use the instructions here to ensure that you have spec'd up your Exchange servers correctly: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719(EXCHG.141).aspx.

Also, how many mailboxes do you have in a single mailbox database? 

Do you have any warnings in the event log related to performance?

Thanks.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question

Mark Gossa

MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008 R2, MCSA 2012 R2, MCTS Exchange 2010

Blog: http://markgossa.blogspot.com

Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 10:46 PM
  • It was underspecced at 8GB of ram and 2 cores, but while I understand that would cause some slowdown, this server has only 1 database with 200 users so I doubt it would delay emails over 1 hour.

This server has also been up for a little over 4 years and this only happened twice, both in the past month.. I would doubt that the resources would be the root cause.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 11:45 PM
  • Hi,

Agreed, I would not expect this to be the cause of your issue unless this 200 users are sending a very large amount of email per day but this is unlikely.

In this case, please can you post the message headers for a delayed email. From there we can look at what hop in the email transfer caused the delay. Did this issue affect internal email only or external email also? Do you have any smarthosts configured on your send connectors? 

Also, please let me know which Exchange 2010 SP and rollup you are using and check the event log for any other issues around the time of the email delays.

Thanks.

Mark Gossa

MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008 R2, MCSA 2012 R2, MCTS Exchange 2010

Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 12:29 AM
  • It was underspecced at 8GB of ram and 2 cores, but while I understand that would cause some slowdown, this server has only 1 database with 200 users so I doubt it would delay emails over 1 hour.

This server has also been up for a little over 4 years and this only happened twice, both in the past month.. I would doubt that the resources would be the root cause.

Hi mdeschenes,

Thank you for your question.

In addition Mark’s suggestion, please check if there are any errors on this specific Exchange server and post them for our troubleshooting.

We could disable A/V software on this specific Exchange server to check if the issue persist.

By your state, the message trace logging will tell you that if there are third party application in organization to send many emails automatically, we could refer to the following link to check message trace log:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124375(v=exchg.150).aspx 

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:02 AM
  • Below is the email header. Email was sent from a user on EXCH2010 to 11 users on EXCH2010. Delay was 90 minutes. I will try to get the information from the MSGTRKM log for that particular email and post back.

Received: from EXCH2010.domain.local ([fe80::b0bc:2577:8215:5f49]) by
    EXCH2010.domain.local ([fe80::b0bc:2577:8215:5f49%13]) with mapi id
    14.03.0210.002; Tue, 13 Oct 2015 12:31:40 -0400
    Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
    To: User2 <User2@domain.com>, User3
                    <User3@domain.com>, User4
                    <User4@domain.com>, User5 <User5@domain.com>,
                    User6 <User6@domain.com>, User7
                    <User7@domain.com>, User8 <User8@domain.com>,
                    User9 <User9@domain.com>, User10
                    <User10@domain.com>, User11 <User11@domain.com>
    Subject: RE: BlehBlehBleh
    Thread-Topic: BlehBlehBleh
    Thread-Index: AdEFx7jr0aAg7h2AQhSaOgqNf0VHdQAAAfYAAAAb7LA=
    Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 11:04:58 -0400
    Message-ID: <54A376360B0EE44B8985D34D2396B3B601B36965B7@EXCH2010.domain.local>
    References: <B90349B214417648B36A22227DD52A0301B8B22947@EXCH2010.domain.local>
    In-Reply-To: <B90349B214417648B36A22227DD52A0301B8B22947@EXCH2010.domain.local>
    Accept-Language: en-US
    Content-Language: en-US
    X-MS-Has-Attach: yes
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SCL: -1
    X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: <54A376360B0EE44B8985D34D2396B3B601B36965B7@EXCH2010.domain.local>
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthSource: EXCH2010.domain.local
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthAs: Internal
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthMechanism: 04
    X-Originating-IP: [10.11.8.10]

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the message headers - as it is an internal email, it is not so informative. Please also send through the message tracking log entries for this particular email. 

Did this issue affect internal email only or external email also? Do you have any smarthosts configured on your send connectors? Does this only affect emails sent to a group?

Also, please let me know which Exchange 2010 SP and rollup you are using and check the event log for any other issues around the time of the email delays.

Thanks.

Mark Gossa

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 1:43 PM
  • Hi,

There isn't anything in the event log around that time, nor the time where the issue started.

It only affects emails sent from that database. So mainly internal emails, but it also affects emails that are sent from that database to another database. It affects mails sent to a single user, multiple users or a distribution group.. Emails coming in from another database or from Internet work fine. What I mean is that the issue seems to be that Exchange cannot pick up the mail from within User1's mailbox. (it affects every user from that database).

I am currently running Exchange 2010 SP3 UR7.. I just realized I could update to a higher UR, I'll read the KB to see if it's something that could be fixed but I've been running UR7 for over a year now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjf31i6i0d5ljeq/MailTroubleReport.csv?dl=0

Thanks,

Michel

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 2:19 PM
  • Hi,

From what I've found, the concurrent connections is based on mailbox database health which is based on the requests/second and RPC latency - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb232205%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx. Please can you look for any events related to this and also let me know if there are any performance issues reported in the event log.

Also, please check that you have the default throttling options set under the "Message throttling options on transport servers" heading in the same article. Use the below commands:

Get-TransportService | fl
    Get-MailboxTransportService | fl

Thanks.

Mark Gossa

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

Please check how much memory are available on your exchange server.

Also recommend to check queue and message but doing the following in Exchange powershell:

Get-queue

Then

Get-message

If there are continuously  queue and message, then you could have memory issue or slow disk performance.

Another thing would be if throttling policy have been modified.

Please run Get-ThrottlingPolicy and see if you have any setup.

Also confirm your setting according to this article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232205(v=exchg.150).aspx#Servers

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:21 PM
  • Hi,

From what I've found, the concurrent connections is based on mailbox database health which is based on the requests/second and RPC latency - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb232205%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx. Please can you look for any events related to this and also let me know if there are any performance issues reported in the event log.

Also, please check that you have the default throttling options set under the "Message throttling options on transport servers" heading in the same article. Use the below commands:

Get-TransportService | fl
    Get-MailboxTransportService | fl

Thanks.

Mark Gossa

All of the perfmon counters look fine now, obviously since the issue was resolved the minute I restarted the server...

Both commands are Exchange 2013 commands, but here is the info from the Get-TransportServer (same as Get-TransportService). Unfortunately, EX2010 doesn't have a Get-MailboxTranportService Equivalent

SerializationData                                  : {0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 255, 255, 255, 255, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0...}
    RunspaceId                                         : f3f66ab5-fb86-4068-bf56-2d615d4a8eb8
    Name                                               : EXCH2010
    AntispamAgentsEnabled                              : False
    ConnectivityLogEnabled                             : True
    ConnectivityLogMaxAge                              : 30.00:00:00
    ConnectivityLogMaxDirectorySize                    : 1000 MB (1,048,576,000 bytes)
    ConnectivityLogMaxFileSize                         : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    ConnectivityLogPath                                : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange 
                                                         Server\V14\TransportRoles\Logs\Connectivity
    DelayNotificationTimeout                           : 04:00:00
    ExternalDNSAdapterEnabled                          : True
    ExternalDNSAdapterGuid                             : 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    ExternalDNSProtocolOption                          : Any
    ExternalDNSServers                                 : {}
    ExternalIPAddress                                  : 
    InternalDNSAdapterEnabled                          : True
    InternalDNSAdapterGuid                             : 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    InternalDNSProtocolOption                          : Any
    InternalDNSServers                                 : {}
    MaxConcurrentMailboxDeliveries                     : 20
    MaxConcurrentMailboxSubmissions                    : 20
    MaxConnectionRatePerMinute                         : 1200
    MaxOutboundConnections                             : 1000
    MaxPerDomainOutboundConnections                    : 20
    MessageExpirationTimeout                           : 2.00:00:00
    MessageRetryInterval                               : 00:01:00
    MessageTrackingLogEnabled                          : True
    MessageTrackingLogMaxAge                           : 30.00:00:00
    MessageTrackingLogMaxDirectorySize                 : 1000 MB (1,048,576,000 bytes)
    MessageTrackingLogMaxFileSize                      : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    MessageTrackingLogPath                             : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange 
                                                         Server\V14\TransportRoles\Logs\MessageTracking
    IrmLogEnabled                                      : True
    IrmLogMaxAge                                       : 30.00:00:00
    IrmLogMaxDirectorySize                             : 250 MB (262,144,000 bytes)
    IrmLogMaxFileSize                                  : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    IrmLogPath                                         : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Logging\IRMLogs
    ActiveUserStatisticsLogMaxAge                      : 30.00:00:00
    ActiveUserStatisticsLogMaxDirectorySize            : 250 MB (262,144,000 bytes)
    ActiveUserStatisticsLogMaxFileSize                 : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    ActiveUserStatisticsLogPath                        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange 
                                                         Server\V14\TransportRoles\Logs\ActiveUsersStats
    ServerStatisticsLogMaxAge                          : 30.00:00:00
    ServerStatisticsLogMaxDirectorySize                : 250 MB (262,144,000 bytes)
    ServerStatisticsLogMaxFileSize                     : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    ServerStatisticsLogPath                            : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange 
                                                         Server\V14\TransportRoles\Logs\ServerStats
    MessageTrackingLogSubjectLoggingEnabled            : True
    OutboundConnectionFailureRetryInterval             : 00:10:00
    IntraOrgConnectorProtocolLoggingLevel              : None
    PickupDirectoryMaxHeaderSize                       : 64 KB (65,536 bytes)
    PickupDirectoryMaxMessagesPerMinute                : 100
    PickupDirectoryMaxRecipientsPerMessage             : 100
    PickupDirectoryPath                                : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange 
                                                         Server\V14\TransportRoles\Pickup
    PipelineTracingEnabled                             : False
    ContentConversionTracingEnabled                    : False
    PipelineTracingPath                                : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange 
                                                         Server\V14\TransportRoles\Logs\PipelineTracing
    PipelineTracingSenderAddress                       : 
    PoisonMessageDetectionEnabled                      : True
    PoisonThreshold                                    : 2
    QueueMaxIdleTime                                   : 00:03:00
    ReceiveProtocolLogMaxAge                           : 30.00:00:00
    ReceiveProtocolLogMaxDirectorySize                 : 250 MB (262,144,000 bytes)
    ReceiveProtocolLogMaxFileSize                      : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    ReceiveProtocolLogPath                             : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange 
                                                         Server\V14\TransportRoles\Logs\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive
    RecipientValidationCacheEnabled                    : False
    ReplayDirectoryPath                                : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange 
                                                         Server\V14\TransportRoles\Replay
    RootDropDirectoryPath                              : 
    RoutingTableLogMaxAge                              : 7.00:00:00
    RoutingTableLogMaxDirectorySize                    : 50 MB (52,428,800 bytes)
    RoutingTableLogPath                                : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange 
                                                         Server\V14\TransportRoles\Logs\Routing
    SendProtocolLogMaxAge                              : 30.00:00:00
    SendProtocolLogMaxDirectorySize                    : 250 MB (262,144,000 bytes)
    SendProtocolLogMaxFileSize                         : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    SendProtocolLogPath                                : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange 
                                                         Server\V14\TransportRoles\Logs\ProtocolLog\SmtpSend
    TransientFailureRetryCount                         : 6
    TransientFailureRetryInterval                      : 00:05:00
    AntispamUpdatesEnabled                             : False
    InternalTransportCertificateThumbprint             : 24873C51ECC0228B55C072AF1B2AE2713AC1AEDD
    TransportSyncEnabled                               : False
    TransportSyncPopEnabled                            : False
    WindowsLiveHotmailTransportSyncEnabled             : False
    TransportSyncExchangeEnabled                       : False
    TransportSyncImapEnabled                           : False
    MaxNumberOfTransportSyncAttempts                   : 3
    MaxActiveTransportSyncJobsPerProcessor             : 16
    HttpTransportSyncProxyServer                       : 
    HttpProtocolLogEnabled                             : False
    HttpProtocolLogFilePath                            : 
    HttpProtocolLogMaxAge                              : 7.00:00:00
    HttpProtocolLogMaxDirectorySize                    : 250 MB (262,144,000 bytes)
    HttpProtocolLogMaxFileSize                         : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    HttpProtocolLogLoggingLevel                        : None
    TransportSyncLogEnabled                            : False
    TransportSyncLogFilePath                           : 
    TransportSyncLogLoggingLevel                       : None
    TransportSyncLogMaxAge                             : 30.00:00:00
    TransportSyncLogMaxDirectorySize                   : 10 GB (10,737,418,240 bytes)
    TransportSyncLogMaxFileSize                        : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    TransportSyncHubHealthLogEnabled                   : False
    TransportSyncHubHealthLogFilePath                  : 
    TransportSyncHubHealthLogMaxAge                    : 30.00:00:00
    TransportSyncHubHealthLogMaxDirectorySize          : 10 GB (10,737,418,240 bytes)
    TransportSyncHubHealthLogMaxFileSize               : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    TransportSyncAccountsPoisonDetectionEnabled        : False
    TransportSyncAccountsPoisonAccountThreshold        : 2
    TransportSyncAccountsPoisonItemThreshold           : 2
    TransportSyncAccountsSuccessivePoisonItemThreshold : 3
    TransportSyncRemoteConnectionTimeout               : 00:01:40
    TransportSyncMaxDownloadSizePerItem                : 25 MB (26,214,400 bytes)
    TransportSyncMaxDownloadSizePerConnection          : 50 MB (52,428,800 bytes)
    TransportSyncMaxDownloadItemsPerConnection         : 1000
    DeltaSyncClientCertificateThumbprint               : 
    UseDowngradedExchangeServerAuth                    : True
    IntraOrgConnectorSmtpMaxMessagesPerConnection      : 20
    TransportSyncLinkedInEnabled                       : False
    TransportSyncFacebookEnabled                       : False
    QueueLogMaxAge                                     : 7.00:00:00
    QueueLogMaxDirectorySize                           : 200 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
    QueueLogMaxFileSize                                : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    QueueLogPath                                       : 
    WlmLogMaxAge                                       : 7.00:00:00
    WlmLogMaxDirectorySize                             : 200 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
    WlmLogMaxFileSize                                  : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    WlmLogPath                                         : 
    AgentLogMaxAge                                     : 7.00:00:00
    AgentLogMaxDirectorySize                           : 200 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
    AgentLogMaxFileSize                                : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    AgentLogPath                                       : 
    AgentLogEnabled                                    : True
    FlowControlLogMaxAge                               : 30.00:00:00
    FlowControlLogMaxDirectorySize                     : 200 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
    FlowControlLogMaxFileSize                          : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    FlowControlLogPath                                 : 
    FlowControlLogEnabled                              : True
    ProcessingSchedulerLogMaxAge                       : 7.00:00:00
    ProcessingSchedulerLogMaxDirectorySize             : 200 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
    ProcessingSchedulerLogMaxFileSize                  : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    ProcessingSchedulerLogPath                         : 
    ProcessingSchedulerLogEnabled                      : True
    ResourceLogMaxAge                                  : 7.00:00:00
    ResourceLogMaxDirectorySize                        : 200 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
    ResourceLogMaxFileSize                             : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    ResourceLogPath                                    : 
    ResourceLogEnabled                                 : True
    DnsLogMaxAge                                       : 7.00:00:00
    DnsLogMaxDirectorySize                             : 100 MB (104,857,600 bytes)
    DnsLogMaxFileSize                                  : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    DnsLogPath                                         : 
    DnsLogEnabled                                      : False
    JournalLogMaxAge                                   : 7.00:00:00
    JournalLogMaxDirectorySize                         : 200 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
    JournalLogMaxFileSize                              : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    JournalLogPath                                     : 
    JournalLogEnabled                                  : True
    TransportMaintenanceLogMaxAge                      : 30.00:00:00
    TransportMaintenanceLogMaxDirectorySize            : 50 MB (52,428,800 bytes)
    TransportMaintenanceLogMaxFileSize                 : 1 MB (1,048,576 bytes)
    TransportMaintenanceLogPath                        : 
    TransportMaintenanceLogEnabled                     : True
    Identity                                           : EXCH2010
    IsValid                                            : True
    ExchangeVersion                                    : 0.1 (8.0.535.0)
    DistinguishedName                                  : CN=EXCH2010,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative Group 
                                                         (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative 
                                                         Groups,CN=domain,CN=Microsoft 
                                                         Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=corp
    Guid                                               : e6d0ad76-0e35-46df-9971-2f2c87905217
    ObjectCategory                                     : domain.local/Configuration/Schema/ms-Exch-Exchange-Server
    ObjectClass                                        : {top, server, msExchExchangeServer}
    WhenChanged                                        : 7/15/2013 3:41:36 PM
    WhenCreated                                        : 3/25/2011 8:20:32 AM
    WhenChangedUTC                                     : 7/15/2013 7:41:36 PM
    WhenCreatedUTC                                     : 3/25/2011 12:20:32 PM
    OrganizationId                                     : 
    Id                                                 : EXCH2010
    OriginatingServer                                  : DC01.domain.corp
    ObjectState                                        : Unchanged

Thursday, October 15, 2015 2:11 AM
  • One this I have realized is that prior too all that turmoil, I see that one particular mail (which actually is a meeting request) seems to be generated 8 times... and right after, I get the same TooManySubmisisons message for that particular mail.

2015-09-21T08:20:52.829Z fe80::b0bc:2577:8215:5f49%13 EXCH2010 EXCH2010 MDB:d7f67344-c1ae-4dcc-a790-87f50b61ea3b, Mailbox:f7651ed6-24c0-4bed-9a78-a7c8a5a956d1, Event:500970400, MessageClass:IPM.Schedule.Meeting.Request, CreationTime:2015-09-21T08:15:52.331Z, ClientType:AirSync STOREDRIVER SUBMITDEFER S:ItemEntryId=00-00-00-00-3E-47-F1-5C-57-15-56-4F-B1-3A-48-51-0F-5C-17-41-07-00-6E-58-5F-B1-9D-63-1B-45-A4-4E-37-CA-98-7A-3E-EA-00-00-00-E2-2C-1D-00-00-6E-58-5F-B1-9D-63-1B-45-A4-4E-37-CA-98-7A-3E-EA-00-01-70-62-7C-41-00-00;S:DiagnosticInfo=Error: ServerNotAvailable, Diagnostic Information: Rpc Error 71A

Thursday, October 15, 2015 2:45 AM
  • Hi mdeschenes,

Please check who send meeting by message trace log, then find Source IP and locate to this PC. We could check if there are third application to send meesting request.

We could navigate to the following path to check message trace log:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\Logs\MessageTracking

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu

Thursday, October 15, 2015 8:19 AM
  • I did find that particular user using the ExchangeGUID (f7651ed6-24c0-4bed-9a78-a7c8a5a956d1), I am currently trying to get a hold of him to see if there's anything special on his computer.
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:06 PM
  • Just double-checked his computer. Nothing special on it. User isn't a power user either. I was a meeting request sent on behalf of another user located on DB02. I just forwarded myself that same meeting but issue didn't happen again.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:25 PM
  • Further research, I realised I had the same issue on October 9th and on September 21st (That's as far back as logs will let me go..)

Both times I see the same pattern.. A user from DB01, located on EXCH2010 send a meeting request on behalf of someone on DB02, located on another EX2010 server...

Thursday, October 15, 2015 2:32 PM
  • check if you are able to get the user by this command

Get-MailboxStatistics -Database "Mailbox Database" -StoreMailboxIdentity "f7651ed6-24c0-4bed-9a78-a7c8a5a956d1"

PREM RANA MCSE Exchange 2013, MCSA 2012 Server MCTS Exchange 2007,2010, MCITP Exchange 2007,2010 MCSE 2003 Server, MCSA Exchange 2003 ITIL V3 Foundation https://ranaprem.wordpress.com/ This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 2:46 PM
  • I am able to get the user. I don't think the problem is related to the user as the same issue we had on September 21st was related to another user.
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 6:25 PM
  • Hi,

Please do the below:

1. Export the message tracking log for 2hrs before the email was sent using Outlook up to after the email was delivered. I would like to know if there are any message loops or large volume of email.
    2. Look through the event log for any events that report database performance issues.
    3. Set up monitoring to monitor Requests/Second and the Average RPC Latency for the database in question and also disk latency to see if there are transient performance issues during the time of these events.

Thanks.

Mark Gossa

Friday, October 16, 2015 1:33 PM
  • Sorry for taking so long to reply but I have been much busy trying to replicate the issue... I was finally able to replicate the issue at will. I also found out another issue.. I am unable to list the database hosted on SRV02 from SRV01 and vice versa.. but I can list both from SRV03.

I then realised this seems like an IIS issue.. I cannot open https://SRV02.domain.local/owa from SRV01 but I can open https://SRV01.domain.local/owa from SRV02...

I do see the connection over 443 when looking at netstat but I don't see the information in the IIS log. I tried IIS reset and restarting the w3svc service to no avail... 

I guess I'll start by trying to rebuild the virtual directories.. see if that works, I'll report after.

Saturday, October 17, 2015 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

By listing the database, do you mean using Get-MailboxDatabase DB1 or Get-Mailbox -Database DB1?

The databases and list of mailboxes in each database are held in AD. Please go through the below tasks:

1 - Run the below commands on each DC in turn to see if you get different results:

$DC = "dc01"
    Get-MailboxDatabase -Server SVR01 -DomainController $DC
    Get-MailboxDatabase -Server SVR02 -DomainController $DC
    Get-MailboxDatabase -Server SVR03 -DomainController $DC

2 - Check your domain controllers for any AD replication errors

3 - Check the system and application event logs on the Exchange servers for any AD authentication/SPN issues

Thanks.

Mark Gossa

Saturday, October 17, 2015 12:30 PM
  • Use poershell to check the database status on any server if you are unable to see in ECP. Do nor open this link directly on server, use it on some client pc it will be faster.

PREM RANA MCSE Exchange 2013, MCSA 2012 Server MCTS Exchange 2007,2010, MCITP Exchange 2007,2010 MCSE 2003 Server, MCSA Exchange 2003 ITIL V3 Foundation https://ranaprem.wordpress.com/ This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Saturday, October 17, 2015 1:57 PM
  • Hi mdeschenes,

Please check if you could open EMS on Exchange SRV02 and check if there are any errors in application log on SRV02, then post them for our troubleshooting.

Best Regard,

Jim

Jim Xu

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:05 AM
  • Quick update to let y'all know that we figured out it was a networking issue between both sites...

Whenever someone would forward a meeting request, it would start a RPC request to the other site to update the calendar which would have just stuck. After a while, it would try again. After 8 tries, every email would be delayed.

I could confirm there was an issue as a net use to one of the other site Exchange server would go through but a dir would only return the Label and Serial of the drive, jam for a while and then return File not Found.

Monday, October 26, 2015 7:00 PM
  • Hi,

Interesting issue. Thanks for sharing the solution.

Mark Gossa

MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008 R2, MCSA 2012 R2, MCTS Exchange 2010, MCTS SQL 2012, MCTS SharePoint 2007, VCP4, VCP5, CCNA

Blog: http://markgossa.blogspot.com LinkedIn:

Monday, October 26, 2015 8:56 PM