Scheduling assistant in Outlook is not showing free/busy information about the SharePoint 2013 calendar RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have the following problem: I have SharePoint 2013 calendar with own email address. I added the calendar to my outlook calendar and I can see the events (meetings) together with my own, so I can pick up a free slot and organize a meeting. But when I tried to set up a meeting with more people (real people) and the aforementioned SharePoint 2013 calendar, when I open the scheduling assistant I see the free/busy details for other participants, but details for the SharePoint calendar are missing and I don't know if the slot I choose is free or not.

In case I'm able to see the free/busy details when I add the SharePoint calendar to my outlook, but not when I use "Scheduling Assistant" of outlook, my feelings are that something should be done on Exchange side? Or maybe there is a workaround for this issue?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 11:57 AM

All replies

• I recommend that you post your question in a SharePoint forum.  I'm not aware that there is any free/busy capability between Exchange and SharePoint.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, November 24, 2016 3:01 AM
  • In my opinion there is nothing with SharePoint.

As I wrote when I add the SharePoint calendar in outlook I can see the events added to this calendar, but when I use scheduling assistant when seting up a meeting with 10+ people the free/busy (or conflict) information is not shown, all I see is free (no meetings for SharePoint calendar, but in reallity they are).

As you can see from the image the "blue" calendar is mine and the "green" calendar is a SharePoint calendar, but using the scheduling assistant is not showing these "green" meetings.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 8:20 AM
  • Outlook may be able to open the SharePoint calendar, but that doesn't mean the Exchange can, and it's Exchange that returns the free/busy data to Outlook.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Tuesday, November 29, 2016 1:57 AM
    Thursday, November 24, 2016 9:26 AM
  • Hi,

As Ed mentioned, we can import Exchange calendar (include free/busy information) to SharePoint, and it's no actually free/busy information in SharePoint.

Therefore, we can view calendar items when add this SharePoint calendar in Outlook, but not view free/busy information by scheduling assistant.

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, November 26, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue.
    Also, you can mark the helpful reply as ‘Answered’ if it useful.
    If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. 

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 1:57 AM
  • Hello Allen_WangJF,

unfortunately thing are not going well. Looks a like basic functionality is not provided.

In my investigation I reach the point that outlook is able to get the calendar events because it is using the autorized account, but exchange is unable (and in this situation I don't know which account exchange is using) due to permissions issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but free/busy information is actually getting the events from the calendar and marking the scheduled events as busy? Or it is something else (Please provide me explanation if this is the case). 

Any help is apreciated.

Thank you in advanvce.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:18 AM
  • Hi Aleksander,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but what you describe I don't think its possible. Reason for this is because Free/busy is only possible if its an Exchange object/mailbox.

I guess your SharePoint Calendar was added as normal SharePoint app.

If you want this to work, then I think you will need to use Site-Mailbox instead. This is also an app you can add on your sharepoint site. This will create a Exchange mailbox, which hopefully will create a calendar with free/busy info available.

I have not tested this, but I guess it should work.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:47 AM
  • OK, looks like it is not working in my case (not only in my case but with this configuration).

Unfortunately I'm unable to try the Site-Mailbox solution suggested by Off2work.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 12:21 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your understanding.

If above information is useful for you, you can mark the replay as answer to encourage others who help you.
    Meanwhile, if there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

Thursday, December 1, 2016 2:35 AM