PerformancePoint ... Dashboard Designer ... Per-user Identity Error RRS feed

• Question

• I believe I had setup everything properly for PerformancePoint Services 2010 on SharePoint Server 2010.  I can connect to the Analysis Services via "Unattended Service Account." However I get the following error message when I try to connect via "Per-user Identity":

An error occurred connecting to this data source. Please check the data source for any unsaved changes and click on Test Data Source button to confirm connection to the data source.

When I check the event viewer on the SharePoint Server I see the following "warning" message:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-SharePoint Products-PerformancePoint Service
    Date:          7/11/2011 9:05:24 AM
    Event ID:      9
    Task Category: PerformancePoint Services
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:     
    User:          NA\spBIPPSvc
    Computer:      BISP001.test.net
    Description:
    The user "NA\48879" does not have access to the following data source server.

Data source location: https://bisp001.test.net/Data Connections for PerformancePoint/1_.000
    Data source name: MPSCubeTest
    Server name: BISQ001

Exception details:
    Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnectionException: The connection either timed out or was lost. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
       at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.IO.BufferedStream.Read(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.DimeRecord.ForceRead(Stream stream, Byte[] buffer, Int32 length)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.DimeRecord.ReadHeader()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.DimeReader.ReadRecord()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.TcpStream.GetResponseDataType()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.EndRequest()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.CreateSession(ListDictionary properties, Boolean sendNamespaceCompatibility)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.XmlaClientProvider.Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.IXmlaClientProviderEx.CreateSession(Boolean sendNamespaceCompatibility)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.ConnectToXMLA(Boolean createSession, Boolean isHTTP)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.Open()
       at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.DataSourceProviders.AdomdConnectionPool`1.GetConnection(String connectionString, ConnectionContext connectionCtx, String effectiveUserName, CultureInfo culture, NewConnectionHandler newConnectionHandler, TestConnectionHandler testConnectionHandler)
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-SharePoint Products-PerformancePoint Service" Guid="{A7CD5295-CBBA-4DCA-8B67-D5BE061B6FAE}" />
        <EventID>9</EventID>
        <Version>14</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>1</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-07-11T13:05:24.982464800Z" />
        <EventRecordID>9773</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation ActivityID="{BCB6231B-09BA-4DB7-9D0B-3B0F8DE22CB0}" />
        <Execution ProcessID="1412" ThreadID="1196" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>USA0300BISP001.na.xerox.net</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-854245398-1202660629-839522115-939321" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="string1">XRXNA\USWU48879</Data>
        <Data Name="string2">https://usa0300bisp001.na.xerox.net/Data Connections for PerformancePoint/1_.000</Data>
        <Data Name="string3">MPSCubeTest</Data>
        <Data Name="string4">USA0300BISQ001</Data>
        <Data Name="string5">Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnectionException: The connection either timed out or was lost. ---&gt; System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---&gt; System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
       at System.IO.BufferedStream.Read(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.DimeRecord.ForceRead(Stream stream, Byte[] buffer, Int32 length)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.DimeRecord.ReadHeader()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.DimeReader.ReadRecord()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.TcpStream.GetResponseDataType()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.EndRequest()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.CreateSession(ListDictionary properties, Boolean sendNamespaceCompatibility)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.XmlaClientProvider.Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.IXmlaClientProviderEx.CreateSession(Boolean sendNamespaceCompatibility)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.ConnectToXMLA(Boolean createSession, Boolean isHTTP)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.Open()
       at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.DataSourceProviders.AdomdConnectionPool`1.GetConnection(String connectionString, ConnectionContext connectionCtx, String effectiveUserName, CultureInfo culture, NewConnectionHandler newConnectionHandler, TestConnectionHandler testConnectionHandler)</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:16 PM

Answers

• I SOLVED the problem.

I noticed the following SPNs were applied directly to a machine object and a service (user) account:
    MSOLAPSvc.3
    MSSQLSvc

These services should only be associated to a service (user) account and not a computer object. Once I removed the SPNs from the machine object all was well.
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, July 22, 2011 5:54 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 12:35 PM

All replies

• I SOLVED the problem.

I noticed the following SPNs were applied directly to a machine object and a service (user) account:
    MSOLAPSvc.3
    MSSQLSvc

These services should only be associated to a service (user) account and not a computer object. Once I removed the SPNs from the machine object all was well.
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, July 22, 2011 5:54 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Maybe there are multiple issues that result in this error. i faced the same issue and the resolution was to increase the max limit for excel services to required level. By default its 10MB and the powerpivot files are much larger. 

SharePoint Central Administration, and go to Application Management > Manage Service Applications > ExcelServiceApp > Trusted File Locations and click on the appropriate Address. Under the Workbook Properties section you will see a Maximum Workbook Size 
    Friday, October 10, 2014 9:58 AM