none
NoUpdate GPO setting no longer working to suppress Silverlight updates

Question

• For years we've been using the NoUpdate Registry setting using Group Policy to prevent users from receiving update notifications. 

https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/resources/documentation/grouppolicysettings.aspx

Key path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Silverlight\
    Value
    Name: UpdateMode
    Value
    Type: DWORD
    Valid
    Values:
        Auto Update — 0x00000000
        Prompted
    Updates — 0x00000001
        No
    Updates — 0x00000002

The last two 'Patch Tuesdays', our users have received Silverlight update notifications from our internal SharePoint site.  We do apply the latest Silverlight patches but we go thru a testing period of 30-60 days before they are released to devices.

I went a step further and added a HKCU registry item to further suppress these update notifications, but today I received the update notification.

HKCU

Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext

VersionCheckEnabled

REG_DWORD: 00000000

Any ideas what we can do to prevent our users from receiving these update notifications again?

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 4:44 PM

All replies

• Hi TrinityR,

thanks for posting here.

For your case about Group Policy, I will move it to Group Policy for getting suitable help.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

MSDN Community Support<br/> Please remember to click &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click &quot;Unmark as Answer&quot; if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact <a href="mailto:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com">MSDNFSF@microsoft.com</a>.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 4:38 AM
  • Hi,
    Before we go further, when the problem is happening, please run gpresult /h command to view the group policy report if the GPO is applied successfully on the clients.
    If the GPO is not applying, you could check the following article for common reasons to try troubleshooting:
    10 Common Problems Causing Group Policy To Not Apply
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22457.10-common-problems-causing-group-policy-to-not-apply.aspx
    And you could also directly go to registry editor to check if the related registry is changed based on the configuration in the GPO.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, April 14, 2017 1:56 AM
  • GPO policy was applied and registry setting was present in the registry.
    Friday, April 14, 2017 3:14 PM
  • I continue to receive the Silverlight pop-up message when visiting our internal SharePoint site. All registry settings even at a user level have been verified as being present in the registry at the time of the notification. All group policies expected to be applied that disable this update (according to MS documentation) are applied. I'm at a loss at what I can do further to ensure our users do not see this notification.silverlight_update_notification
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:49 PM
  • Hi,
    Can you try clearing your browser cache to see if you're still seeing the silverlight prompt?
    And you could have a try to uninstall the Silverlight from control panel if you don’t need it.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, April 21, 2017 4:30 AM
  • Silverlight is installed with our SCCM Client and Sharepoint My Sites will need it.  Clearing browser cache is done every time we close IE.  The basics have been taken care of.  Hence, my visit to the forums.  This issue only began after the January Windows Security Roll-ups.
    Friday, April 21, 2017 3:42 PM
  • Hi,
    Checking from group policy aspect, it seems that all is working well: GPO was applied and registry entries were modified.
    If the issue only happens after the updates, you could test to see if it works when you roll back the updates, and I would suggest to open up a case with Microsoft Technical Support to see if they could confirm this problem from product team regarding those updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/?ws=support
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Monday, April 24, 2017 2:23 AM