none
VHD backups failing - Replica is Inconsistent RRS feed

• Question

• We have moved all of our VHD's to a clustered SAN with three nodes all running Server 2012.  We use DPM 2012 to backup the VHD's but since we have moved them to the clustered storage, the backup's always fail with the error message below.  DPM 2012 is running on a Hyper-V VHD with Server 2012.  I have been researching this issue for about a month and have not been able to find anything that specifically addresses my circumstances.  This post (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh872944.aspx) has a registry change mentioned but it is not clear.  I have tried adding the registry to the DPM server, the Node that the VHD is running on and on the VHD's I am trying to backup. 

Any suggestions?

Alert Message:

Affected area: \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\[VHD Name]
    Occurred since: 11/14/2012 10:17:26 AM
    Description: The replica of Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\[VHD Name] on [VHD Name].[Cluster Name].dalat.org is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.

For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)
     An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID 104 Details: Unspecified error (0x80004005))
     More information
    Recommended action: Retry the operation.
     Synchronize with consistency check.
     Run a synchronization job with consistency check...

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM 2012 cannot protect Windows 2012 Hyper-V CSV until SCS DPM 2012 SP1 is released which is currently in BETA.

<snip from announcement>
    System Center DPM 2012 is not supported running on Windows Server 2012 until we release System Center SP1 later this year.  We have had reports of DPM 2012 console crashes when navigating to the recovery tab if DPM 2012 is installed on Windows server 2012.  This issue is fixed in SP1.

If you are already in this condition,  I recommend you backup the DPMDB, rebuild the DPM server using Windows 2008 R2 install DPM 2012, then restore your current database. The process is explained in the below technet article.

Recovering DPM servers
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj244606.aspx

We also do not support protecting Windows Server 2012 using SCS DPM 2012 until after SC SP1 is released.   Please do not expect any support for DPM 2012 running on Windows Server 2012, or issues while protecting data sources in Windows Server 2012.
    <snip from announcement>

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:01 PM