a required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I am trying to install vista ultimate edition but after chooosing the language and keyboard language it gives an error like below
    "a required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing.If you have a driver, CD, DVD or USB flash drive..................."

I made some search ans found out that everybody was tyelling the same thing pointing out a problem related to a IDE controller driver. I installed any firmware and driver update but when i try to install Vista, it gives that error.

now I have XP pro but i want to install vista only to give it a try.
    plz help i am curious about it :D

Friday, March 23, 2007 7:43 PM

All replies

• I have exactly the same error. I am trying to do a clean install on a new Intel 975BX2. Core 2 Extreme system using SATA HDD and DVD/CD drive. Vista installer launches but after I select the language etc I am asked for CD/DVD device driver.

Any ideas?

Saturday, March 31, 2007 11:40 AM
  • I am interested if you solved your problem. - as I now have it. I have a brand new system, SATA drives and SATA DVD. After using the DVD to load the Vista installer it then requests a driver with a screen that says...

Load Driver

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have  driver floppy disk, CD, DVD or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

Note if the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step.

--Browse--         --OK--        --Cancel--

The Browse button shows my floppy drive and a Boot(XSmile drive but no DVD. This strikes my as odd as it has been using it so far to load the Vista installation, I presume through some ATAPI driver.

I am going to try removing my new SATA  DVD writer and adding an old IDE DVD reader.

If you solved your problem can you tell me how you did it?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:53 AM