MSRA /offerRA RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to configure MSRA with Windows Server 2012 R2 and have followed several internet blogs to configure it correctly. For instance

https://windowserver.wordpress.com/2015/05/12/windows-server-control-remoto-para-soporte/

http://www.miniacademia.es/asistencia-remota-de-windows-10-en-la-empresa/#titulo2

As a result we are able to connect using the invitation file and password, but we are not able to use the Offer Remote Assitance option.

After surfing on the web, it seems that there can be a problem with the firewall or with some not open ports. I have uninstalled my antivirus from my local computer in case it was preventing the access, but still have some problems.

These are the modifications we have made on the Windows Server.

Launching gpmc.msc on Windows Server we have created new policy on the Support Team (sorry but my OS is in spanish so I have translated the paths and rules but you will find some screenshots) that will be used for the whole organization once it is working. We have called the policy "Offer Remote Assistance"

We have edited the policy and added the following rules

- Administrative templates / System / Remote Assitance: as we where not sure if the problem is with the source computer or with the destiny we have allowed both rules: allow remote assitance and offer remote assistance, adding on helpers the support team group from the active directory

- Windows Configuration / Security / Local Policies / Security Options / "User account control:  allow UIAccess applications to ask for confirmation": allow

- Windows Configuration / Security / firewall : allowed ports 3389 and 135, and also allowed the following programs: helpsvc.exe, msra.exe, raserver.exe, sessmgr.exe

Finally on both "support" and "user" computers we have launched "gpupdate / force" command to update the policies.

After that if we try to use from the "support pc" the command "msra.exe /offerRA clientpc" we receive the attached error.

But if the "clientpc" creates an invitation we are able to connect from the "supportpc". 

We have also added a rule on our firewall to allow all access from the "supportpc" to anypc but still we don't see any traffic or anything.

If we add a wrong IP on the offer RA it starts thinking and finally it returns a message saying that it has not being able to find the computer, so we suppose that when we put a correct IP the communication is correct, but there is other problem.

Any ideas? Our end users are not technicals so we can not ask them create an invitation any time they have an issue.

We have tried to connect different Windows versions on both supportpc and clientpc. We have tried Windows7 vs Windows7, Windows10Pro vs Windows7, Windows10Pro vs Windows10Pro and all of them have the same result

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 8:25 AM

All replies

• hi,
    I am researching your issue ,thanks for your waiting.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 3:48 PM
  • hi,

can you check the setting about firewall inbound and outbound in correct for remote assistance on client computer ?like the picture

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 7, 2019 10:05 AM
  • Hi Andy,

our network is managed by Panda Adaptive Defense 360 Firewall, so I have uninstall it from 2 pcs to make the tests and it seems that the message has changed a little but still I'm not able to connect.

The previous message was

Review the following:

- Do you have the right access to the remote computer?

- The remote computer, is started and connected to the network?

- Is there any problem with the network?

and the new one:

- Remote Assistance cannot find the remote PC or has no access to connect to it. Review he computer name and the security and try again

I'll try again to find if anything else is previnting my connection, but at least it seems that the connection is able to access the remote computer.

Best Regards,

Thursday, March 14, 2019 1:19 PM
  • Hi Andy,

today I have some time to investigate a little more. After uninstalling the antivirus program on both pcs, I have also disabled the firewall on both computers, but still I receive the same message:

- Do you have the right access to the remote computer?

- The remote computer, is started and connected to the network?

- Is there any problem with the network?

Sorry but I cannot attach an image to show you the message.

Any idea?

Best regards

Friday, March 15, 2019 9:56 AM
  • hi,

Your error information is very general. Many factors can cause this error.
    can you narrow down your issue to Smaller range ?
    In general , there may be  AD  , OS , third party software ,network policy cause this issue.
     1 AD {user policy ,computer policy, default policy(user )  ,default policy (computer ) etc}
     2 OS( win10 )
     3 firewall and virus
     4 network policy(port permission etc)
    A ,we need to clean install 3 new computers and put their account to special OU ,not apply any domain computer policy and local policy in it.(except Configure Offer Remote Assistance /Configure Solicited Remote Assistance)
    B , add them to domain and not install any software on these 3 new computers.
    C, referring this document and set the policy for  3 test computers
    https://windowserver.wordpress.com/2015/05/12/windows-server-control-remoto-para-soporte/
    D, check if the problem persist ,
    if msra work fine ,the problem is from computer policy or third party software.
      (1)install all third party software ,check the result again. if msra still work fine ,then problem is from computer policy.

If the problem persist ,the problem is from user policy.
      (1) create new test domain support user2(s2) and need user2(u2) and put their accounts to special OU, add the s2 to the helps of the policy “Configure Offer Remote Assistance”
    not apply any user policy then check the result .

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 3:31 AM
  • Thank you very much Andy. We'll try to make some tests next week and tell you if we have being able to solve the issue.

I'll keep you informed.

Best regards.

Friday, March 22, 2019 10:29 AM
  • I am looking forward your reply.

Friday, March 29, 2019 3:50 AM
  • Is there anything to help you?

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 9:30 AM
  • We are finally going to use other solution as we have not being able to make MSRA work.

Anyway thanks for your time.

Monday, April 15, 2019 6:44 AM