Mail to Outlook 2016, fails to send ,from Quicken home and business 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I hope someone can help.

Here is the problem:

Quicken Home and Business 2016 32bit crashes immediately or freezes or sends error “Send mail failed to send message” when trying to send an invoice by email thru Outlook 2016.

Then asks to send unexpected error report to Quicken. Which I did many times.

Using Outlook 2016 32 bit as default mail program and this was not happening until  several days ago. No other changes to Quicken and some Windows 10 64bit updates installed last week. This all worked before with same setup.

Tried this: Set your Home & Business launch icon as “Run as administrator”.

This causes an opening error saying “Quicken does not support the Run as Admin Using this option may cause problems in Quicken …

Uninstalled – re installed Quicken per Quicken support online with screen sharing.

Changed security settings in trusted programs in Outlook ,per Quicken support.

None of this changed the problem.

Told by Quicken support that the problem is within Outlook 2016, contact Microsoft. They are convinced this problem is caused by Outlook 2016.

I am the only user, as an administrator.

Sure, I can produce a PDF invoice thru Quicken, but this is not how it is supposed to work and extra steps,

and my customers are used to the email attachment method.

My computer specs:

ABS tower 1 TB HDD, 32Gb Ram, I 7 intel 7200 processor, Windows 10 Home  64bit 10.0.16299 build16299

MS Office Pro 2016 suite 32bit.

What has changed in Outlook? And how do I get this working again?

Thanks.

John Sterner

Thursday, November 16, 2017 2:47 PM

Answers

• OK I found a fix for this problem.

I noticed that others had problems with Word or Excel failing to send emails thru Share and so did I and they fixed it by running a Microsoft repair of office programs thru control panel . I did this and Walaa.. all programs word, excel ,and Quicken Home and Business 2016 all work properly again and open Outlook 2016 and send successfully.

It appears, but not sure, that the updates to windows ,especially the newest to ver. 1709 did some changes that may have caused this problem and running repair on MS Office did the trick.

Not sure if this will fix everyones problem with this but it did mine!

Hope this helps others as I have spent days looking for a fix.

Good luck everyone and thanks.

JohnBoyJR

John Sterner

• Marked as answer by JohnBoyJR Monday, November 20, 2017 5:49 PM
    Monday, November 20, 2017 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

Thanks for posting in our forum.

Before going further, could you please take the following steps which might be helpful to narrow down the problem:

1. Please try to use the send to mail recipients feature in other applications like Excel or Word and see if the attachment can be sent out properly via Outlook.
    2. Try to test by sending invoices through another mail client which is supported by Quicken to see the result.

Besides, please collect the detailed version information of your Outlook 2016 via File > Office Account > About Outlook and then we can do further research on this. It is also suggested update Office to the latest version to check if there will be any improvement.

By the way, since this is a recently happened issue after some Windows updates installed last week, I am assuming that this might be related to the compatibility between Quicken and the latest Windows or Office. Considering that there are few Quicken users here in this Outlook forum, personally I'd like to encourage you also post a thread to the Quicken forum to discuss with other users if they encountered the same situation after the Windows update.

Any findings, please feel free to post back.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 17, 2017 10:19 AM
  • Hey Yuki,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

Answer question1=Word 2016 does send mail of document thru Outlook 2016 with no problems using Share and email. Excel fails to send worksheet following same settings and procedure thru Share and email with following error= General mail failure Quit excel and restart mail system and try again. Same results repeatedly.

Answer question 2= Quicken only supports mail client Outlook, and NOT windows 10 native Mail.

I tried switching the default mail to Windows 10 native mail and still the same resulting errors.

Details of versions used are:

Outlook=  MS Office pro plus , Outlook 2016 MSO (16.0.4266.100) 32bit.

Quicken= Home and Business 2016 Ver. R14.1 Build 25.1.14.9

OS= Windows 10 Home Ver.1709 Build 16299.64

I have gone to the Quicken forums as I have been there before for other questions on use of Quicken. I did log in and posted this same problem today as you suggested. While there I searched and found this problem has existed off and on for years and quicken has never done any answers other than remove and reinstall Quicken. There are no very recent reports of this problem within the last weeks.  I too have seen this last year but for some unknown reason it corrected itself and I never got an answer as to how or why. This time I called Quicken support and as expected they remote in and walked me thru.. you guessed it!! remove and reinstall Quicken and restore backup.

After this they tried several other settings with no positive results and then told me " that the problem is within Outlook 2016, contact Microsoft." They are convinced this problem is caused by Outlook 2016. If I get any answers from the Quicken forums I will post the info here, but I will not hold my breath....

I have dozens of customers and this is the way they are used to doing invoices for years now so I really would like to get this working again.

Again thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

John

John Sterner

Monday, November 20, 2017 12:37 AM
  • OK I found a fix for this problem.

I noticed that others had problems with Word or Excel failing to send emails thru Share and so did I and they fixed it by running a Microsoft repair of office programs thru control panel . I did this and Walaa.. all programs word, excel ,and Quicken Home and Business 2016 all work properly again and open Outlook 2016 and send successfully.

It appears, but not sure, that the updates to windows ,especially the newest to ver. 1709 did some changes that may have caused this problem and running repair on MS Office did the trick.

Not sure if this will fix everyones problem with this but it did mine!

Hope this helps others as I have spent days looking for a fix.

Good luck everyone and thanks.

JohnBoyJR

John Sterner

• Marked as answer by JohnBoyJR Monday, November 20, 2017 5:49 PM
    Monday, November 20, 2017 5:49 PM
  • Hi John,

Great to see that the issue has been resolved and thanks for sharing the resolution!

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:43 AM
  •  Just another Note on this issue.

Interestingly enough the fix worked until, I had to shutdown/ reboot the machine for another unrelated issue and the problem happened again.

This time I did the MS Office repair again and rebooted and the problem is fixed again and now working.

I do not know how to explain this but it indicates that the problem is apparently within the Office program or Outlook itself I guess.

Hopefully someone at Microsoft will investigate this further for a more permanent fix.

John Sterner

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 5:12 PM
  • OK, One more workaround???

I have found that if I make sure Outlook is closed while trying to send an invoice by email thru Quicken it will call Outlook new mail up and succeed in sending the mail but if Outlook is open while trying the same procedure Quicken will crash immediately.

This and running Office repair in control panel are the only ways I can get this to work properly.

I will not buy the Upgrade to Quicken or Office ,until I see a permanent fix for this problem.

JohnBoy

John Sterner

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 3:56 PM
  • John,

Thanks for the information. I tried everything above including:

Upgrading from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2017Reinstalling Quicken 2017Quicken open with Outlook closed, running repair.

Nothing has worked. Word and Excel both work fine via Share, although it is very slow to open a new message.

Hopefully this will get fixed since printing to PDF is not a very good option since it creates a shrunken/cutoff version to an invoice over 2 pages.

I may need to look for another financial package since Quicken has been pretty bad/buggy for many years.

JP

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 10:45 PM