none
Windows 8.1 Force Lock Screen

Question

• I've created a GPO to Force the Lock Screen on Windows 8 machines. However, when the policy is applied, the lock screen becomes a blank blue screen (rather than the image I have specified)

My PDC is running Windows 2008 R2 but I have added the policy definitions folder to the sysvol and it can create the policies. I've also ensured the windows 8.1 machines are completely up to date. 

I've also noted that the registry keys 

LockScreenImage and NoChangingLockScreen are present in HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization

yet the image doesn't display as the lock screen

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 2:17 AM

Answers

• from memory it's something like PNG format, 24bpp, 1920x1200, less than 5MB filesize.

(but my memory could be not-so-good)

Don

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 7:17 AM
  • there are a few tips/tricks/hacks, which may not directly apply, but should be useful for how to get an image in the necessary format, or to check the format, so you know if your custom image deployment is using the suitable image attributes

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/40669-lock-screen-default-background-image-change-windows-8-a.html

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2639-lock-screen-background-image-change-windows-8-a.html

e.g., check;
    C:\Windows\Web\Screen
    or
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\<some SID>\ReadOnly\LockScreen_B

Don

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 7:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Keithmeister,

Thanks for your post.

According to your description, it seems like that your computer is domain joined and you are using GPO to deploy both policy.

If you provides a UNC for policy Force a specific default lock screen image, please make sure that the path could be reached by your users. And it is a computer based policy, so make sure that the OU where the GPO linked to contains computers that you want to set the settings.

Please also check the Resultant Set of Policy (RSoP) information for the computers and ensure the reuslt is correct.

Run GPupdate /force to have try.

If you still have the problem, please also check the event log and post the event ID if there's some error prompt.

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 6:08 AM
  • > I've created a GPO to Force the Lock Screen on Windows 8 machines.
    > However, when the policy is applied, the lock screen becomes a blank
    > blue screen (rather than the image I have specified)

That's a typical symptom if the computer account cannot access the image
    - is it stored on a UNC path? Then make sure "domain computers" can read it.

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 3:30 PM
  • I've tried putting the image on a network share and in the sysvol directory. It doesn't seem to matter where I put the image, it never displays. 

RSOP for my user account on the machine shows that the policy is being applied and yet the image still doesn't show as the lock image

If I type the FQDN path to the image (on the windows 8.1 machine) it displays fine.

Any ideas? No events show errors, and the GPO events are showing the policy applied successfully

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 7:52 PM
  • It's stored on a network share and Domain Computers have access
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 7:54 PM
  • Does it matter that it's Windows 8.1?

I note there was a KB 2770917 that was specifically to get this to work on Windows 8. However, there is no KB for Windows 8.1

Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:13 AM
  • > It's stored on a network share and Domain Computers have access

Then I strongly suggest to put it in a local folder on each computer -
    I'm unsure how Windows detects the availability of this image, and if
    that happens early in the boot process, the network might not be
    available...

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 11:37 AM
  • I've set a GPO to copy the nominated file to the local drive. The GPO for the lock screen then selects this as the background image. However, the lock screen is still the plain blue. I can see that the Reg keys have been created and point to the right image. Any ideas why this isn't applying?
    Monday, October 5, 2015 7:31 PM
  • I've set a GPO to copy the nominated file to the local drive. The GPO for the lock screen then selects this as the background image. However, the lock screen is still the plain blue. I can see that the Reg keys have been created and point to the right image. Any ideas why this isn't applying?

This can sometimes be the result, if the image file does not have the correct properties (format, resolution, bits-per-pixel, etc). (the image may display correctly when viewed with other tools, but the shell can be fussy about the properties, or very large file sizes)

Don

Monday, October 5, 2015 8:05 PM
  • So what are the specifications that it can deal with? The file is not massive, so shouldn't be a problem. Are there some guidelines to the format of the file and the resolution etc?
    Monday, October 5, 2015 8:32 PM
  • from memory it's something like PNG format, 24bpp, 1920x1200, less than 5MB filesize.

(but my memory could be not-so-good)

Don

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 7:17 AM
  • there are a few tips/tricks/hacks, which may not directly apply, but should be useful for how to get an image in the necessary format, or to check the format, so you know if your custom image deployment is using the suitable image attributes

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/40669-lock-screen-default-background-image-change-windows-8-a.html

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2639-lock-screen-background-image-change-windows-8-a.html

e.g., check;
    C:\Windows\Web\Screen
    or
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\<some SID>\ReadOnly\LockScreen_B

Don

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 7:23 AM
  • I've made sure the image is the same format, but it won't display. Still get the blank blue image as the lock screen.
    Monday, October 12, 2015 10:38 PM