msn have two windows in taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• start looking at the img http://www.he3f.dk/x/win7taskbar.JPG .

if i close the first one, which show my msn profil img, it will log me off.

if i close the other, it will close the one "windows live mese..." and just leve me whit the msn profil img. if i then click the on the msn profil img in the taskbar. it will open the "windwos live messe..." and we are back, whare we started.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:49 PM

Answers

• First off its called Windows Live messenger, and second, this is a known issue and microsoft says "its by design"

just run it in vista compatibly mode and that will fix the problem
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:18 PM

All replies

• First off its called Windows Live messenger, and second, this is a known issue and microsoft says "its by design"

just run it in vista compatibly mode and that will fix the problem
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:18 PM
  •  this is a known issue and microsoft says "its by design"
    I guess that means on MS part "we really dont have a reason for this"
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:36 AM
  •  this is a known issue and microsoft says "its by design"
    I guess that means on MS part "we really dont have a reason for this"
    Well they do. Technically the extra window is what the system tray was used for. But the idea was thrown together like a kids art project.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:40 AM
  • What is exactly the idea for not having the messenger icon in the system tray anymore?
    Whatever the idea is then I think the only way to apply it consistently would be to get rid of the system tray completely. Now it's really confusing.... If I minimise another program (say Yahoo Messenger) I get a system tray icon while if I minimise Live Messenger I still have an icon in the taskbar...
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:29 AM
  • Because yahoo and WLM are two separate programs made by two separate compneies.

I like it in the taskbar, as it shows my status, and I can actvate all my main options with the jump list.

System tray should only be used for SYSTEM based tasks. Not im programs.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Because yahoo and WLM are two separate programs made by two separate compneies.

I like it in the taskbar, as it shows my status, and I can actvate all my main options with the jump list.

OK I understand you like it this way but your sentence "system tray should not be used for IM programs" is still only your opinion, not a fact. For 14 years (since Windows 95) programmers have used the system tray rather than the taskbar to report the application status. Now Microsoft has decided to go another route. It might be an improvement (not sure though) but it's definitely not consistent with 14 years of application programming in Windows.

Friday, June 12, 2009 8:49 AM

OK I understand you like it this way but your sentence "system tray should not be used for IM programs" is still only your opinion, not a fact. For 14 years (since Windows 95) programmers have used the system tray rather than the taskbar to report the application status. Now Microsoft has decided to go another route. It might be an improvement (not sure though) but it's definitely not consistent with 14 years of application programming in Windows.

Well its time to move on with the times ;)
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:40 AM