none
More Critical Path Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks in advance for everyone's help.  I have more questions.  For Project 2010:

1. Why would the critical path show some Summary Tasks as "Critical" when using the filter, but none of the subtasks are listed as Critical?

2.  In the Tracking View Gantt, I have vertical lines moving down that are red, which should show the critical path.  But some of these lines simply end at another task and don't continue.  Why?  (I asked this in another thread, but I think it will get lost, so I am repeating it with more information).

Monday, July 30, 2012 3:22 AM

Answers

• It strikes me - do you perhaps mean summary tasks that are scheduled with manually scheduled subtasks?  If so, then you are correct for Q1.  Changing those to auto and adjusting the durations for the proper finish dates did fix the issue (though the start dates to do so were not really accurate.  This did not affect my particular schedule).

For Q2, that doesn't seem to be the case.  All tasks within the "Sub Summary Task" are auto scheduled, and the tasks have standard FS predecessors and successors.  But perhaps does the visual representation above  mean that the critical task predecessor going into Task 3 (show by the red line) is simply a critical task, and Project is simply showing all of its successors?  Task 3 is not on the critical path, but the predecessor is?  Same would go for the red critical path line going into Task 1 and then passing through.  Tasks 1 and 3 have predecessors that are on the critical path (in fact, there is only 1 predecessor and it is critical), but Tasks 1 and 3 themselves are not critical.  Is that it?

• Marked as answer by kakojima Monday, July 30, 2012 9:48 PM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Q1: also see my reply in the other post: I'm convinced these are manually scheduled summary tasks

Q2: Either some tass have constraints or thy are manually scheduled.

Greetings,

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:31 AM
  • It strikes me - do you perhaps mean summary tasks that are scheduled with manually scheduled subtasks?  If so, then you are correct for Q1.  Changing those to auto and adjusting the durations for the proper finish dates did fix the issue (though the start dates to do so were not really accurate.  This did not affect my particular schedule).

For Q2, that doesn't seem to be the case.  All tasks within the "Sub Summary Task" are auto scheduled, and the tasks have standard FS predecessors and successors.  But perhaps does the visual representation above  mean that the critical task predecessor going into Task 3 (show by the red line) is simply a critical task, and Project is simply showing all of its successors?  Task 3 is not on the critical path, but the predecessor is?  Same would go for the red critical path line going into Task 1 and then passing through.  Tasks 1 and 3 have predecessors that are on the critical path (in fact, there is only 1 predecessor and it is critical), but Tasks 1 and 3 themselves are not critical.  Is that it?

• Marked as answer by kakojima Monday, July 30, 2012 9:48 PM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 4:50 PM
  • Hi,

The color of the line showing a link is determined by the color of the predecessor.

So in your picture the predecessor task to the milestone must be critical; the milesone and his sucessors aren't.

So I'm pretty sure that teh predecessor to the milestone hs other reasons to be critical (other critical successors, or a constraint, or a deadline).

So I guess your explanation is right.

Greetings,

Monday, July 30, 2012 5:15 PM
  • OK, Jan.  Thanks for all your help.
    Monday, July 30, 2012 9:48 PM