none
Remote Desktop not accepting credentials RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to connect my surface to my desktop via the remote desktop client, but my credentials are not being accepted from my laptop to my desktop, however I can sign in from the desktop to the laptop.

My desktop is using windows 10 education version - and my surface uses a seperate pro account (I don't know if this matters).

the message I receive is "The password used to connect to the remote PC didn't work. Enter a different password and try again". I have the same password on both computers.

Saturday, January 4, 2020 12:37 PM

Answers

• So I fixed the issue:

I noticed that my clipboard wasn't syncing  either - so the issue wasn't isolated to the remote client.

I narrowed it down to an issue on the admin account, which in this case was my school credentials which I used to sign into windows after a fresh reboot.

I created a new local file and gave it admin privileges and then signed into my personal microsoft account which fixed it, but opened a new issue which was i couldn't just keep my files and applications on the new user - which made it a real hassle to access anything.

Copy pasting everything into the new drive was a crude fix but made my applications unstable so i ultimately just wiped everything and fresh booted windows signing in with a local account and adding my other accounts later.

• Marked as answer by Tamar_A Wednesday, January 15, 2020 7:40 AM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2020 7:40 AM

All replies

• HI

0.can you enter winver in command prompt on surface computer and desktop then look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    1."My desktop is using windows 10 education version - and my surface uses a seperate pro account (I don't know if this matters)."
    what's account did you use remote access from your laptop to desktop ? Microsoft account ,AD account or local user account ?
    2.are both computer in the same workgroup or in the same AD domain?
    3.if we create a local admin account on desktop computer(win10 edu),can we remote access from laptop to desktop computer(win10 edu)?  

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 6, 2020 11:03 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress about your issue ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 2:05 PM
  • Apologies Andy, been a busy week for me.

0. my surface OS ID is 18362.535, my desktop version is 18363.535

1. with both, I used a microsoft account. I'm signed into the same account on both computers, with the addition of my school account on my desktop, which is the account I am signed into.

2. both computers are in the same work group

3. I have attempted to use the local account solution, to no success.

• Edited by Tamar_A Friday, January 10, 2020 5:16 AM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2020 8:03 PM
  • HI

4.when we remote access to desktop client on our laptop ,if we use local admin account of desktop computer and with strong password ,will there be the same error information.
    "The password used to connect to the remote PC didn't work"
    5.if we disable NLA on desktop computer ,will there be the same issue ?
    6.we can check below solution ,if they can hellp you to solve your issue ?
    Fix: Your Credentials Did not Work in Remote Desktop
    https://appuals.com/fix-your-credentials-did-not-work-in-remote-desktop/

7.if the problem persist ,if we when we use local account or microsoft account to remote access desktop computer,when the rdp fail ,is there more related log about this issue on both laptop and desktop?
    client win10
    event viewer\windows logs\
    application
    security
    system

Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-SessionServices_Operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteApp and Desktop Connections_Admin
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -RemoteApp and Desktop Connections_Operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS_Admin
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS_Operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-sessionservices

Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-ClientUSBDevices_Admin
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-ClientUSBDevices_Operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-PnPDevices_Admin

Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-remoteconnectionmanagement
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-local sessionmanager

Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows-remoteapp and desktop connection management

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 7:33 AM
  • So I fixed the issue:

I noticed that my clipboard wasn't syncing  either - so the issue wasn't isolated to the remote client.

I narrowed it down to an issue on the admin account, which in this case was my school credentials which I used to sign into windows after a fresh reboot.

I created a new local file and gave it admin privileges and then signed into my personal microsoft account which fixed it, but opened a new issue which was i couldn't just keep my files and applications on the new user - which made it a real hassle to access anything.

Copy pasting everything into the new drive was a crude fix but made my applications unstable so i ultimately just wiped everything and fresh booted windows signing in with a local account and adding my other accounts later.

• Marked as answer by Tamar_A Wednesday, January 15, 2020 7:40 AM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2020 7:40 AM