Merge partitions RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

i have 3 partition in my Desktop PC.

C (15 GB), D (30 GB), E (30 GB), how can i merge that C & D?

with out losing data in both drive C & D?

I use windows xp Professional SP-3 and in C drive OS is installed.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:31 AM

Answers

• You cannot "merge" the partitions.

You would need to 1) back up all the files drive D:, 2) remove it, and then 3) extend drive C: on to the new space.  Then you would 4) restore the backed up files to the new, bigger, drive C:

This assumes drives C: and D: are next to each other (continuous) on one physical disk.  If drive E: is "in-between" them, you will not be able to merge them. 

Another option for merging would be to mount drive D: as a folder on drive C:

For instance create an empty folder C:\Files and mount drive D: into it (you could do the my documents folder as well). This would not make drive C: bigger, but allow you to access more space for saving items.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307889?wa=wsignin1.0

• Proposed as answer by ty72182 Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Soh.M Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:14 AM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:00 PM

All replies

• You cannot "merge" the partitions.

You would need to 1) back up all the files drive D:, 2) remove it, and then 3) extend drive C: on to the new space.  Then you would 4) restore the backed up files to the new, bigger, drive C:

This assumes drives C: and D: are next to each other (continuous) on one physical disk.  If drive E: is "in-between" them, you will not be able to merge them. 

Another option for merging would be to mount drive D: as a folder on drive C:

For instance create an empty folder C:\Files and mount drive D: into it (you could do the my documents folder as well). This would not make drive C: bigger, but allow you to access more space for saving items.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307889?wa=wsignin1.0

• Proposed as answer by ty72182 Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Soh.M Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:14 AM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:00 PM
  • Thanks for your reply

Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:28 AM