Task sequence with USMT - how to rename the computer RRS feed

• Question

• I can very easily name/rename an unknown computer, so that's not a problem. I am trying to figure out how I would rename a computer which runs a TS in full OS since it has USMT steps added to it. Since the TS runs in full OS, the OSDComputeName variable is already set.

I think I can add a step in the TS that will prompt the OSD administrator to enter a new value for OSDComputerName variable. But ideally, I would like to do this even before the computers restart in WinPE (so that the administrator does not have to wait for the USMT capture steps, winPE download, and boot from winPE steps before he can be prompted for the new computer name. I am not sure what environment varibales are availabe before the computer boots into winPE and if there is a variable for computer name. Any ideas?

Mayur
    Monday, July 26, 2010 5:13 PM

Answers

• why don't you just do Offline mode in WinPE , you didn't say what you were migrating but in Offline mode you can do a lot of things that you can't in Windows including prompt the user for stuff,

just a thought...

My step by step SCCM Guides
    I'm on Twitter > ncbrady
    Monday, August 2, 2010 9:14 PM

All replies

• All of the default OSD variables are created as soon as the TS starts.  Some of them may be changed based on various steps in the TS however.  For example, OSDComputerName would change if you have the Migrate computer name option checked in the Capture Windows Settings step.

Now, as for prompting for a computer name in Windows... That's not possible.  Because of security context of the TS, it's not possible to prompt the user.  I've heard that the new MDT may have a way to prompt the user in a TS inside windows, but I haven't had a chance to look into it as of yet.  This may be something you want to look into.

Scott Gill
    SCCM Consultant
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Friday, July 30, 2010 9:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mayurkirti Monday, August 2, 2010 8:01 PM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Scott's answer definately helps, but it's not the solution to my question. I am unmarking it as an answer. I am still working on the task and will update the post once there is a progress, unless there is a reason to close it as answered after being unanswered by a certain time.

Thanks.

Mayur
    Monday, August 2, 2010 8:03 PM
  • why don't you just do Offline mode in WinPE , you didn't say what you were migrating but in Offline mode you can do a lot of things that you can't in Windows including prompt the user for stuff,

just a thought...

My step by step SCCM Guides
    I'm on Twitter > ncbrady
    Monday, August 2, 2010 9:14 PM