Controlling the sequence for mulitple package installations RRS feed

• Question

• Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm currently trying out SCE 2007 SP1. I've been able to create and deploy software packages within my domain. now, I'd like to deploy multiple packages in a specific order. Specifically, I want ot deploy all the .Net frameworks and the servicepacks starting from .Net Framework 2.0 (base), then .Net Framework 2.0 SP1, then Framework 3.0 (base) all the way to Framework 3.5 SP1. Is there a way to deploy the frameworks sequentially through the  Software deployment pane of SCE 2007. Even if there is another way to deploy the frameworks, how do a generally controll the order of a software deployment when I have mulitple packages.

the8thdwarf
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:12 PM

Answers

•   Hi,

The installation order of the softeare package cannot be controlled in SCE, it is available in SCCM (System Center Configurations Manager), but here is an workaround which used a script to contorl the order.

The following is the example to deploy two packages by order (deploy A first, then B)

The two tasks can be integrated into one software distribution package. This package contains three main jobs:

a.    Install software A.

b.    Wait enough time to ensure the installation finishes.

c.    Install software B.

1. As we need to use the SLEEP.exe command, so please download the Windows Server 2003 Resource tool kit from this URL: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspxfamilyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

2. After installation, navigate to the installation path and copy the sleep.exe to a new folder which we will use to deploy the software.

3. Copy the installation files of Software A and B to the new folder which Is created in the previous step.

4. Copy the cmd.exe to the folder as well. By default, this file is under %systemroot%\system32.

5. In the folder, create a bat file, for example, install.bat. Then edit it to ensure it contains the following commands:

Installation command for A
    Sleep N
    Installation command for B

Note:

a. Sleep N command makes the system wait for N second. Please replace N to ensure the system wait sufficient time for the uninstallation command to finish.

b. Please use proper Installation commands. You may contact the software manufacturer to see whether they support silent Uninstallation/Installation with parameters and what the parameters are.

c. You can also add more commands if necessary.

6. In the SCE console, navigate to the SOFTWARE pane.

7. Select “New software package”, browse to the new folder and select the CMD.exe

8. Select the check box of “Include all files and sub-folder in this location”.

9. In the installation parameter, input “/c  install.bat”.

Note: I used install.bat in this example. Please adjust the bat file name accordingly.

10. Click Create and deploy this package to the client computers.

Note: this workaround may not work in your environment, if it failed, I'd like to suggest you install SCCM to achieve your goal.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:09 AM
  • Hi,
    As far as I have seen, the application you add first will install first. So, if you have multiple application and you know in what order they should be installed - add them in that order. The problem is when you want to change something later on:-(.

PS! Depending on your application, you could use SCUP. This is a tool that you can add pre requsites ets. The problem using this tool is it require the application as a single binary. More information about SCUP can be found at http://advisec.wordpress.com/2008/12/15/system-center-updates-publisher-45-is-now-released/)

Björn Axéll MVP - Advisec AB
    http://blog.advisec.com
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:30 PM

All replies

•   Hi,

The installation order of the softeare package cannot be controlled in SCE, it is available in SCCM (System Center Configurations Manager), but here is an workaround which used a script to contorl the order.

The following is the example to deploy two packages by order (deploy A first, then B)

The two tasks can be integrated into one software distribution package. This package contains three main jobs:

a.    Install software A.

b.    Wait enough time to ensure the installation finishes.

c.    Install software B.

1. As we need to use the SLEEP.exe command, so please download the Windows Server 2003 Resource tool kit from this URL: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspxfamilyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

2. After installation, navigate to the installation path and copy the sleep.exe to a new folder which we will use to deploy the software.

3. Copy the installation files of Software A and B to the new folder which Is created in the previous step.

4. Copy the cmd.exe to the folder as well. By default, this file is under %systemroot%\system32.

5. In the folder, create a bat file, for example, install.bat. Then edit it to ensure it contains the following commands:

Installation command for A
    Sleep N
    Installation command for B

Note:

a. Sleep N command makes the system wait for N second. Please replace N to ensure the system wait sufficient time for the uninstallation command to finish.

b. Please use proper Installation commands. You may contact the software manufacturer to see whether they support silent Uninstallation/Installation with parameters and what the parameters are.

c. You can also add more commands if necessary.

6. In the SCE console, navigate to the SOFTWARE pane.

7. Select “New software package”, browse to the new folder and select the CMD.exe

8. Select the check box of “Include all files and sub-folder in this location”.

9. In the installation parameter, input “/c  install.bat”.

Note: I used install.bat in this example. Please adjust the bat file name accordingly.

10. Click Create and deploy this package to the client computers.

Note: this workaround may not work in your environment, if it failed, I'd like to suggest you install SCCM to achieve your goal.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:09 AM
  • Hi,
    As far as I have seen, the application you add first will install first. So, if you have multiple application and you know in what order they should be installed - add them in that order. The problem is when you want to change something later on:-(.

PS! Depending on your application, you could use SCUP. This is a tool that you can add pre requsites ets. The problem using this tool is it require the application as a single binary. More information about SCUP can be found at http://advisec.wordpress.com/2008/12/15/system-center-updates-publisher-45-is-now-released/)

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:30 PM
  • There are methods if you want to do this properly. If you are deploying Windows Installer (msi) packages, then you can use a tool called ORCA to edit the package with a launch condition. The package will check for the presence of an installed application before launching itself.

The second method involves using vbscript to script the installation sequence. I use both methods with success and have been "fail-safe" so far. Let me know if you need any more details and will put it up on this thread. 
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Paulm, I'd like more details if you have some time.

I have a total of 3 files I need to install as part of a package.
    1. Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable
    2. The application's main MSI installer
    3. An update to the application that's also an MSI, but can't be slipstreamed into the installer MSI

I'd be interested in hearing both your ORCA solution as well as the vbscript solution. I'm not sure how to create a launch condition in ORCA. I've barely ever used it.

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:14 PM
  • Hi,

I didn't find this to be true. I'm using SCE 2010. LIFO, FIFO, etc... no pattern whatsoever with package creation time, approval time, order, etc...
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 4:35 PM