none
install xp without external bootable media RRS feed

• Question

• The plan: install Windows XP onto a bunch of little old laptops.

The problem: they have no optical drives, floppy drives, nor usb ports.

Tools: i have at hand a windows 7 x64 ultimate, a folder of XP with SP3 integrated, and a shiny new hard drive multiport usb adapter.

So i've taken the hard drive from one laptop, and connected it to my Win 7 pc. this allows me to partition and format the hd. And copy over the i386.

But, i cannot "format z: /s" nor "sys z:" because of Win 7 compatibility.
    Likewise i cannot winnt32 /syspart:z: / tempdrive:z: and stick the drive back in the laptop as i hoped.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

If I am all here, does that mean I am not all there?

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:38 AM

Answers

• i've just set up oracle virtualbox, and an xp (flp), all on the win7 but this doesnt appear to be helping. As i cannot access the z: (not sure why)

I've been reading about Installing XP Mode. But it seems to be just running xp in virtual - which i've already got.

update] ah ha! it seems i needed to add a USB Filter to the virtualbox machine, so now my HD is showing up.
    boo hoo - win XP does not allow switch/s nor sys. Arrrgh.

• Edited by BigJonMX Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:58 AM update
    • Marked as answer by BigJonMX Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:32 PM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:44 AM

All replies

• i've just set up oracle virtualbox, and an xp (flp), all on the win7 but this doesnt appear to be helping. As i cannot access the z: (not sure why)

I've been reading about Installing XP Mode. But it seems to be just running xp in virtual - which i've already got.

update] ah ha! it seems i needed to add a USB Filter to the virtualbox machine, so now my HD is showing up.
    boo hoo - win XP does not allow switch/s nor sys. Arrrgh.

• Edited by BigJonMX Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:58 AM update
    • Marked as answer by BigJonMX Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:32 PM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:44 AM
  • If you're in a network you can try to deploy xp with MDT 2010 to Deploy Windows xp.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Thanks but thats even longer-winded than what i'm trying. Of course if i fail i may go your route...
    And i moved this thread over to Win7 Misc.

If I am all here, does that mean I am not all there?

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:24 PM