Insufficient access to run gpedit/ add local group object RRS feed

• Question

• Windows7 professional. Running as administrator.

All started when I uninstalled family safety. The accounts that were monitored refuse to run certain programmes inc Kaspersky AV. Uninstalling family safety didnt solve the problem

A search of the net lead me to explore local group policy settings. So I can reset/alter them.

However, when I bring up the mmc and try to add the local group object I get an error, suggesting insufficient access.

This is using the administrator user in win7 and using a new user.

I want to reset my group policies as several programmes wont run on some user accounts.

Ive taken ownership of the system32 folder and wow64 folder and subfolders.

Still Im denied access

Any thoughts?

Im trying to avoid a system restore as I want to know whats changed and my last restore had family safety still installed.

Monday, November 21, 2011 10:23 PM

Answers

• I suspect that the Windows Live Family Safety was not uninstalled properly. This behavior may be caused by software confliction. You should disable antivirus and then uninstall it.

Now I suggest you run In-place Upgrade to repair the system and reset permissions. Your personal data and applications will not be erased. However I still suggest you back up important data before repairing.

If you cannot run In-place Upgrade, boot in Safe Mode, enable the built-in Administrator account. Then restart and log on with this account, try to run In-place Upgrade again. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:47 AM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:47 AM