System Center Configuration Manager 2012 Hierarchy Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I just have a quick ConfigMgr 2012 hierarchy question. Basically here's what I'm trying to achieve:

We have several customers (more than 25) who we have direct tunnels to and who we monitor networks for. We want to offer them SCCM as a service for us to manage for them. We would want to install a Primary Site Server in each their environments, keeping them as completely separate entities, but then add them to a CAS in our environment for management / reporting. I know we won't really be able to manage them fully through the CAS, but it will allow us to have a centralized view of each of our customer's sites.

Basically what I'm wondering is if this would accomplish our goals, or if we should just install only the Primary Sites and manage each customer locally. The main reason for the CAS is not for the number of clients, but for a central view of each of the Primary Sites we will install. If this scenerio works, is there a problem installing multiple Central Administration Site servers in one environment? I did some searching, but couldn't find a scenerio similar to the one I'm attempting to implement.

Thanks!

Josiah

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, MCITP: Lync Server Administrator 2010, MCTS: System Center Configuration Manager 2012, CCNA

Friday, April 5, 2013 3:57 PM

Answers

• I actually considered doing this myself once. It's a bit messy. I would not add them all to a CAS because of global data etc. That could get you in big trouble. Have you considered doing this with InTune instead of CM? Using CM is going to be much more overhead and expense. I assume this are not huge companies.

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/johnmarcum/

• Marked as answer by JosiahE Friday, April 5, 2013 5:49 PM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 4:33 PM

All replies

• I actually considered doing this myself once. It's a bit messy. I would not add them all to a CAS because of global data etc. That could get you in big trouble. Have you considered doing this with InTune instead of CM? Using CM is going to be much more overhead and expense. I assume this are not huge companies.

• Marked as answer by JosiahE Friday, April 5, 2013 5:49 PM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 4:33 PM
  • John,

Thanks for the reply! And you are correct, these are not large companies. I thought there might be some issues since I didn't see this as a supported configuration anywhere online. But I figured I would ask :P 

I have considered InTune - it is a great product, but is cloud based. We want a way where we can have all of the resources we provide in-house. We currently provide other cloud services to our customers (like cloud storage and such) of which all the hardware is in our datacenter. If only we could offer the services InTune provides and manage all of our customers from one interface like InTune offers, yet host the solution from our datacenter! That would be ideal.

Thanks again!

Josiah

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, MCITP: Lync Server Administrator 2010, MCTS: System Center Configuration Manager 2012, CCNA

Friday, April 5, 2013 5:10 PM
  • If you are saying that the only thing about InTune that doesn't work for your scenario is that the blinking lights aren't in your datacenter, I would strongly suggest that you re-evaluate that requirement.  Going the route of either spinning up numerous standalone primaries or doing a CAS with numerous primaries is a lot of work, especially if there is not a two way trust between your domain and the managed customers.  As Marcum said, you will also end up with potentially co-mingling the data of different businesses.

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

Friday, April 5, 2013 6:04 PM
  • Back when I was considering do this Dell offered a solution that partners could resell. I don't recall what it was called but it was also cloud based.

You could spin up a bunch of VM's with configmgr on them and do IBCM for all of those customer but again the licensing for that would likely be cost prohibitive. I think a CM server license is about 1500.00 then around 50.00 per client I beleive.

Friday, April 5, 2013 6:48 PM
  • That would be Dell Kace.  Not a bad solution for small businesses, but at that level I would recommend Kaseya to Kace based on price and small business feature set.

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

Friday, April 5, 2013 7:09 PM
  • This wasn't Kace. It was another Dell acqusition, totally cloud based. Kace is an applicance. Dell may not offer it anymore, this was 5 years ago.

Friday, April 5, 2013 8:27 PM
  • Thanks for the info - it does help a lot. I will try to re-evaluate our scenerio, but unfortunately it's not necessarily up to me. It looks like Kaseya does offer some pretty great features as well. I will definitely look into it. Does Kaseya provide a way to centrally manage multiple businesses (through a single enterprise console for example)?

Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:33 AM