none
Using RoboCopy to copy my Entire DPM over to a NAS RRS feed

• Question

• I am about to re-do my DPM and I wanted to take a copy of everything I had, recovery points and volumes, and copy it over to a NAS drive. I have read that Robocopy can accomplish this. I want to make this copy before I go and delete my DPM jobs and start over. This way if there is an issue I can do a quick restore and still have what I need. What is the best command to use with robocopy to accomplish this? My external NAS is drive letter G and is 15TB. This is only a one time thing. Once I have re-done the DPM and run it for a week or so, I will delete the data off of the NAS, unless we decide to continue to do Robocopies for a sort of Off site solution. 
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Were you able to do your migration?

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:15 AM
  • I am about to re-do my DPM and I wanted to take a copy of everything I had, recovery points and volumes, and copy it over to a NAS drive. I have read that Robocopy can accomplish this. I want to make this copy before I go and delete my DPM jobs and start over. This way if there is an issue I can do a quick restore and still have what I need. What is the best command to use with robocopy to accomplish this? My external NAS is drive letter G and is 15TB. This is only a one time thing. Once I have re-done the DPM and run it for a week or so, I will delete the data off of the NAS, unless we decide to continue to do Robocopies for a sort of Off site solution. 

Hi Skspg,

Not sure if you have if you have another server but a better scenario for you would be to setup a Secondary DPM server. Check to see if your NAS is iSCSI capable. If your NAS does include iSCSI you can present your NAS storage to your secondary DPM server for the storage pool. This will allow you to move the protection around easier while you re-build your Primary DPM server.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:01 PM
  • If I setup replication to another server and have ran it with 20 recovery points, but now I want to disable it, how do I do that? I want to keep that secondary with those recovery points, but do not want to backup to it anymore with the primary.
    Monday, January 9, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Not yet. Attempting it this week.
    Monday, January 9, 2012 3:42 PM
  • If I setup replication to another server and have ran it with 20 recovery points, but now I want to disable it, how do I do that? I want to keep that secondary with those recovery points, but do not want to backup to it anymore with the primary.

Hi Skspg,

You can simply take the secondary DPM server offline or you could right click on the protection members and chose stop protection but make sure you keep the data. If you are looking to change the protection to the secondary as the main protection you can right click on the protection members and chose switch protection.

Hope that is clear.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Monday, January 9, 2012 10:10 PM