HTML Help (CHM) crashes when you click on links to PDFs/word on IE9 only RRS feed

• Question

• Since installing IE9 onto my PC, links in help files (HTML HELP - CHM files) are no longer working - in fact, they crash the help file, with an error message: "Microsoft HTML Help Executable has stopped working". These are links to PDFs and Word docs that are referring to files that are included in the CHM file (not external links). The help files are running on my PC, not on a network.

Just wondering if anyone has ideas about what has changed with IE9 that might be causing this issue.

Note: I have seen this problem on both Windows Vista and Windows 7. I have also uninstalled IE9, and found the help files do work when the PC has IE8 installed again.

I'd appreciate any ideas or pointers.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest reinstalling the WinHlp32.exe and updating the Adobe flash player for IE9 to check the result.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

If the issue persists, please upload your help file and Word or PDF file to SkyDrive and I will repro the issue.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. This didn't help unfortunately. I have tried 2 CHM files that I have created, and one that I didn't create (and that was created a long time ago) with embedded PDF files. All displayed the same problem.

My CHMs have the PDF/word docs embedded in the CHM file. I have uploaded an example to Skydrive at: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=09abc2511493356c&sc=documents&nl=1&uc=1&id=9ABC2511493356C%21150#

I really appreciate any help or advice you might have on this one. Thanks

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:46 AM
  • test3.chm

Has a script in it, e.g. as seen by right-click, View Source.   How would you debug or bypass that?

FWIW  ProcMon  showed no sign of anything with  test.;  e.g. in case the script was creating a temporary file called  test.pdf  or  test.doc or even just testing access to one of those filenames.   Similarly there is no sign of  ehlpdhtm.js   being tested or accessed.  

Also, the source says something about  Adobe RoboHelp 8  so perhaps you could get more informed assistance from an Adobe forum?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:20 PM
    Answerer
  • FWIW  ProcMon  showed no sign of anything with  test.;

In fact, I think there may have been a good clue in the ProcMon trace after all.   E.g. doing a Find for just  js  shows that a registry hack may be needed...

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2011/02/10/ie9-release-candidate-now-available.aspx

(BING search for
         FEATURE_USE_LEGACY_JSCRIPT
    )

Note that the Connect incident referred to is still open, forcing the workaround for its case at least.

So, who knows what would happen if you opened that path for your case?   FWIW I'm not interested in testing the idea further.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:56 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks, so this is all a little over my understanding. Are you suggesting that IE9 is blocking something in the JS file in the CHM that is calling the embedded files?

I don't have access to view those connect incidents, so not sure exactly what my next steps are. I can see with a google search that I could add that feature_use_legacy_jscript registry hack, but I think you have to name an executable with it or something. Not sure what I'd be naming with a CHM file? Sorry, a bit out of my depth here with all the JS stuff..

Over in the Adobe forums, there is talk that this is a microsoft issue, and not specific to robohelp generated CHM files...

Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:24 PM
  • I generated a chm file using htmlhelp and the chm crashed when ever a link to a zip file, pdf, Word or PowerPoint file was selected. Once the update for IE9 was removed the chm behaved normally.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Thanks, so this is all a little over my understanding. Are you suggesting that IE9 is blocking something in the JS file in the CHM that is calling the embedded files?

Just a guess from the clues available so far.   It could be a red herring.   But I suspect rather than an IE9 bug it is more an instance of security/obscurity.

not sure exactly what my next steps are. I can see with a google search that I could add that feature_use_legacy_jscript registry hack, but I think you have to name an executable with it or something. Not sure what I'd be naming with a CHM file?

I think it would have to be the program which was testing the value, in this case,  ProcMon was showing hh.exe

Over in the Adobe forums, there is talk that this is a microsoft issue, and not specific to robohelp generated CHM files...

Classic end-user position:  stuck between fingerpointers.   <eg>

I think there is a forum which specializes in  Help files.   Perhaps someone there would know but I did a search with that value and didn't see anybody using it.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Friday, July 1, 2011 3:33 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Robert,

Given that pltwwhite (user above) has created a file in HTMLHelp - microsoft's format and microsoft's compiler, I think I'm going to go back to pointing the finger at IE9 again.

I'd would be happy to hear about a short term workaround, until Microsoft fix this issue...

Anita

Friday, July 1, 2011 4:12 AM
  • Hi to all of you,

I have the same problem with html help. My chm of my application contains some pdf files special for printing. On client computers where IE9 is installed, a click on the pdf links in the help, let crashing the help and also the application.

The html and css files are passed the w3c validators for html (with strict html4 doctype) and css. The help pages with the pdf links don't call any javascript function.

On a test computer we have uninstalled IE9 back to IE8 and the problem was gone. Because we don't have control over the customers PC's that our application is installed on, we can't stop them from using IE9. We have a big problem here until Microsoft fix this issue.

As work-around I can remove the pdf links with javascript DOM if IE9 is installed and replace them by prompting the user that his computer is using IE9 with the advice to uninstall IE9 and disable it from updates until Microsoft fix this issue.

Theo

Monday, July 11, 2011 9:16 AM
  • We have a big problem here until Microsoft fix this issue.

Did you try that potential registry hack I found?   (Assuming a ProcMon trace of your case shows that value being tested. <w>)

---

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Did you try that potential registry hack I found?   (Assuming a ProcMon trace of your case shows that value being tested. <w>)

What have that registry hack to do with plain html?

I have tied to detect the IE which HTML-help is using with JavaScript. The detection is returning IE 7 even IE 9 is installed. Thus the detection did not worked and is removed.

The HTML page in the CHM did not contain any scripting but only href links to the pdf files those are contained inside the chm file.

Example of a pdf link:

<a href="../pakket/Module%203%20wb%2055.pdf">Module 3 wb 55</a>

I build the chm file with Microsoft HTML Help Workshop 4.74.8702.0
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:37 AM
  • I build the chm file with Microsoft HTML Help Workshop 4.74.8702.0

Could you upload yours to a skydrive the same way that the OP did?

---

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:38 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi T,

Could you tell us how to go about removing the IE9 update? I think I upgraded to IE9 as a suggestion to make other things run - earlier this summer. What a mistake.

I sure other PLTW will be experiencing the same problem as the school year is fast approaching.

andy.damico@sau24.org

Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:06 AM
  • Hi T,

i have the same issue. After Uninstalling IE9 everything works fine again. I dstribute many chm Files with pdf, and word Files. Is there alrteady a solution?

Regards

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Hi

I have also found the same problem. I uninstalled IE9 and everything is fine. reinstall and back comes the problem. Like Jens, we distribute chm help with links to pdf's to our customers. Surely we don't have to tell them all to uninstall IE9?!?

Jo Hollwey
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:49 PM
  • we distribute chm help with links to pdf's to our customers

If that means that you have control of the source and could alter the construction of what you distribute have you seen derosnec's discovery?...  Oh, of course, it has been deleted.   Sigh...   AIUI it was something about the placement of the script?  Here's what's left of the discussion.   The point is that there were two ideas presented.  FWIW the one which was deleted seemed simpler (to me) than the one which is left.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/8ccd2c23-2300-4bb0-84c9-74f2ed2cada4

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, August 26, 2011 12:03 AM
    Answerer
  • Don't know if it helps any, but I found just uninstalling IE 9 was sufficient - the links to PDF worked again immediately..without needing to reinstall IE 8 - which wouldn't install on WIN 7 anyway !!!
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:35 PM