Word 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running windows 8.1 (updated) and I have Office 2007 installed. Word files will not start from Win Explorer by clicking on a file (>doc or docx) as had with previous versions. The same issue occurs when an email has a "Word doc" attached. The same problem does not occur with other Office Programs
    Sunday, May 25, 2014 12:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First check if you can launch Word application directly from Start screen. If Word fails to start,  type winword.exe /safe in Start Search and hit Enter, to start Word in safe mode. And see if some add-ins caused this problem.

If Word starts successfully, just cannot open files, it might be an associated problem. Please try to set Word as your default word processing program again:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs

If issue persists, I would suggest you to repair your Office installation from control panel:

1. Go to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features.
    2. Find your version of Microsoft Office in the list of programs installed on your computer. Right-click on the name and select Change.
    3. Choose Repair and click Continue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ethan Hua CHN
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 26, 2014 10:14 AM

All replies

• I am running windows 8.1 & I have Office 2007. Word files will not start from Win Explorer by clicking on a file . The same issue occurs when an email has a "Word doc" attached.

Sunday, May 25, 2014 3:26 AM
  • Hi,

First check if you can launch Word application directly from Start screen. If Word fails to start,  type winword.exe /safe in Start Search and hit Enter, to start Word in safe mode. And see if some add-ins caused this problem.

If Word starts successfully, just cannot open files, it might be an associated problem. Please try to set Word as your default word processing program again:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs

If issue persists, I would suggest you to repair your Office installation from control panel:

1. Go to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features.
    2. Find your version of Microsoft Office in the list of programs installed on your computer. Right-click on the name and select Change.
    3. Choose Repair and click Continue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ethan Hua CHN
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 26, 2014 10:14 AM