none
DPM 2010 End User Recovery Scenario RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have 3 forests: A:DPM; B:FileServices; C:UserAccounts and Computers. They have two-way trust between them. DPM works fine except files EUR.

I've enabled EUR on DPM, and have configured both B and C forests schema using DPMADSchemaExtension.exe.

My computer is in forest C, I am accessing data trough share in forest B. I can't make EUR work.

How can I troubleshoot what is the problem?

Best regards,

Petko Stoyanov

i-Gram

Monday, July 5, 2010 4:12 PM

Answers

• Is the EUR for files in another domain supported from Microsoft?
       No. This is not supported. The client and the file server need to be in the same domain.

How to make it work when the file server and the user computer are in different domains?
        You can try to replicate the MS-Sharemapconfiguration container between domains A, B and C.
        (Note -  we haven’t tested this internally -  also if the file server names have conflicting netbios names, EUR will not work as expected.)

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have checked MS-ShareMapConfiguration OU in B domain AD.

DPM successfuly updates information on every Sync. But EUR not working.

Any ideas?

Petko

Monday, July 5, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Hi Petko,

Can you check to see if local shadow copies are enabled on the protected servers volumes, if so, you cannot perform EUR from DPM Server, this is by design.

Can you check the mappings between the ms-ProductionSrv-Share and ms-BackupSrv-Share in the AD ms-SrvShareMapping class. Do the attributes look correct ?

If you do a net share on the DPM Server, are the shares creates as described in the ms-BackupSrv-Share attribute and can you access the end user recovery shares on the DPM server from the computer attemptiong to do the restore ?

If all the above are in place correctly, but EUR is still now working for the clients, then it's possible it's the number of shares.  How many shares are we talking about ?

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, July 5, 2010 5:36 PM
  • Hi Mike,

thanks for your quick reply.

I have 18 shares in total, so I think this is not the problem.

Shadow copies on file server are disabled. The mappings in domain B look fine, except that ms-productionSrvShare is not FQN: \\DS1-FILE-01\V01, ms-backupSrvShare is: \\CORE-DPM-01.core.i-net\ds1-file-01.ds1.i-net_V01.

Shares on DPM are created and are accessible. I tried to see Previous Versions on that shares, and there aren't any. Is this normal? I saw in http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager/browse_thread/thread/8671b184a321e33b/3cc16485be795309?lnk=raot that Previous Versions should be accessible throu DPM shares?

Regards,

Petko

Monday, July 5, 2010 5:47 PM
  • Hi Petko,

Can you try this test. On the DPM server itself check to be sure we have valid recovery points for the protected volume in question by highlighting the data source under the protection tab and look for the number of recovery points and the oldest date.  Then, map a network drive to the local EUR share for that data source on the DPM server.  So in escense you are mapping a network drive to yourself.  Now browse the data on the new mapped network drive and right-click some folders and see if previous versions are listed all the way back to the oldest RP.  It should definitely list them. 

Monday, July 5, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Он DPM Server, I've verified:

1. Using Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2010 Console, Recovery Section: There are recovery points.

2. Using Share and Storage Management\Volumes\Properties\Shadow Copies: Тhere are shadow copies for volume attached at: C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\File System. This volume is shared as \\core-dpm-01\ds1-file-01.ds1.i-net_V02

3. Previous versions on DPM share \\core-dpm-01\ds1-file-01.ds1.i-net_V02 are not listed.

On Client PC:

1. Previous versions on DPM share \\core-dpm-01\ds1-file-01.ds1.i-net_V02 are not listed.

I've disabled End-User Recovery from DPM Server Manager Console, and shares disappear. When I enable End-User Recovery, shares appear after first sync, but EUR is not working.

I found that Windows Share And Storage Management Console, show shares created by DPM as invalid: Cannot verify that folder exist. Illegal characters in path. At the same point, shares are accessible from client.

It's strange, that I can't list recovery points on the share while shadow copies on the volume exist.

Petko

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:19 AM
  • Hi Petko,

Did you "map a network drive" and use a drive letter to look for previous versions on the DPM server, or just use unc path ?

<snip>

I found that Windows Share And Storage Management Console, show shares created by DPM as invalid: Cannot verify that folder exist. Illegal characters in path. At the same point, shares are accessible from client.

>snip<

The above is normal and not causing your problem.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Hi,

Yes I've mapped Z: to the share. Tried from the DPM server itself and from PC. No previous versions.

I found something strange. I have PC and a Notebook both in forest C. I'm logged on both PCs with the same user. When I access share on the file server from both PCs everything is OK. When I access the corresponding share of this file server on the DPM, it is accessible by the PC, but not from my notebook (Windows cannot access <name of the share>. You do not have permissions ... ). I think this is another problem, probably caused by offline files enabled on the notebook.

Petko

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Hi Petko,

In order for shadow copies to work, the SYSTEM account must have read and list folder contents permissions on the root of the volume.  Check to be sure that System account has at least “read” and “list folder
    contents” permission on the root of the protected volume, then wait for more recovery points to be made.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Hi,

I confirm that every volume has default permissions for SYSTEM, CreatorOwner and Administrators accounts. Shares have Everyone FullControl, ABE is switched off.
    I've logged on the DPM server as administrator and permissions on mounted volumes are the same as on the file server.

Petko

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 6:38 AM
  • Hi Petko,

Please enable shadow copies for the C: volume on the DPM server, create a share on a folder on C:, create a shadow copy for C:, make some changes to the shared folder, then map a network drive to the share on C: and see if it shows previous versions.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:14 PM
  • Hi Mike,

yes I can see the previous versions. It doesn't mather if I map the share to a letter or open it using unc path.

I tried the other shares (DPM generated ones), but they don't show previous versions.

Regards,

Petko

Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:14 PM
  • I'm thinking this has to be a permissions issue, can you logon to the DPM server as an administrator of the domain of the protected server and see if previous versions show up for both C: share, and the shares for the DPM EUR for that volume being protected. 
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:23 PM
  • C: share previous versions are available, while the others are not.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:46 PM
  • One last confirmation, if you run vssadmin list shadows - does it list shadow copies for the replica volume you are testing EUR for.  If yes, then DPM is doing all the work it is suppose to do, add mapping entries to AD, create local shares.  The fact that Windows is not showing previous versions for the replica volumes when indeed shadow copies do exist sounds like that part needs to be debugged.  I would open a thread in the Windows 2008 forum and see if that have any ideas why local shadow copies are not enumerated.   Once that is figured out, please post resolution to this thread.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Mike,

Yes, "vssadmin list shadows", does list shadows for all EUR volumes.

I can't find your post in Windows 2008 forum.

Thanks,

Petko

Thursday, July 8, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Windows forum home: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

File system and VSS forum link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/threads

Thursday, July 8, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I've posted 2 days ago (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/f3b099d7-ba5d-4a60-937b-00f5dadcab95) and no reply yet.

Do you think I have to explain the problem in more detail?

Petko

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:46 AM
  • Hello,

I am Petko's colleague and I’d like to add some new info regarding the EUR issue. As we were at a dead end we decided to install another DPM 2010 server on Windows Server 2008 OS. Then we added a protection group for a file share on a server in the same forest as the DPM server (forest A: DPM). Now EUR works fine on any computer in forest A, even for users from forests B and C. Unfortunately EUR does not work when the same user is logged on a computer in forest B or C. On those computers I can see the EUR shares on the DPM server. I also can see a list of previous versions when I get them from EUR shares on the DPM server (\\dpm_server\\file_server\MyShare\). \file_server_Name_MyShare\). I get “There is no previous versions available” when I try to get them from the file share (

Any ideas how to get EUR working?!

Thank you in advance,

Daniella Slavcheva

i-Gram

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:42 PM
  • I see the same behavior in my environment and I have submitted it to Microsoft Connect as bug ID 579337.

Seth Wanlass

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:32 PM
  • Hi All,

Any progress on the issue?

Regards,

Petko

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:08 AM

• Is the EUR for files in another domain supported from Microsoft?
       No. This is not supported. The client and the file server need to be in the same domain.

How to make it work when the file server and the user computer are in different domains?
        You can try to replicate the MS-Sharemapconfiguration container between domains A, B and C.
        (Note -  we haven’t tested this internally -  also if the file server names have conflicting netbios names, EUR will not work as expected.)

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:39 PM
  • Thanks Mike,

now I understood how EUR works and I've configured forests properly.

But this is working with DPM 2010 on Windows 2008 only. I didn't manage to make EUR working with DPM 2010 on W2k8 R2 even in a single domain scenario. I have no progress on http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/f3b099d7-ba5d-4a60-937b-00f5dadcab95

Is EUR working when DPM 2010 is running on Win2k8 R2?

Regards,

Petko

Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:24 PM
  • yes,

DPM 2010 File EUR works fine if DPM is installed on Windows 2008 or Windows 2008 R2.  Please run vssadmin list shadows on the PS and make sure it returns "no items found that satisfy the query"

So - to summarize:

1) EUR will not work if local shadow copies are enables in the PS.
    2) Schema needs to be extended and checkbox enabled on each DPM Server you want eur enabled on.
    3) DPM Shares need to be created by DPM on the DPM server. [net shares]
    4) System account needs at least read and list permisison on the root of volumes being protected for EUR to work.
    5) EUR cross domain / forest is not supported.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:20 PM
  • I have the same problem here with DPM2010

I have my DPM 2010 installed on a Windows 2008 R2 server. I have followed the MS documentation to install and enable EUR, however it not work.

The docummentation dosn't explain how to create a protection for a file server, or maybe is not clrear for me. I don't understand for example if i need to create a protection for a share or for a unit.

If someone have a step-by-setep on how to protect a file server and have the EUR enabled, it could be very useful. I have both file servers Windows 2003 R2 and Windows 2008 R2.

Best Regards,

Uilson

Monday, December 6, 2010 7:08 PM