broken icons after removing Virtual App RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys,

We are currently testing a network version of an accounting software call Taxprep which we initially deployed through App-v 5.0. 

So I have tested 2 scenarios so far:

1. I have completely uninstalled the App-V 5.0 client and removed the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AppV
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\AppV
    %appdata%\Microsoft\AppV
    %localappdata%\Microsoft\AppV
    %programdata%\App-V
    %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\New Applications\

2. Leaving the App-V 5.0 Client installed but removing the user groups from the apps/unpublishing the apps

In both these instances the default icon type is removed and when we locally install Taxprep the icon still isn't fixed. I have repaired the local iconcache.db with no luck either. Setting the default application still does not repair the icons.

Is there any way to remove the applications with breaking the icons?

Thanks.

Friday, September 30, 2016 6:20 PM

Answers

• OK so now I understand the issue, after unpublishing the appv package and installing the vendor installer the FTA fir .115 and/or .1p6 is blank but works.
    I've just sequenced a quick version of TXPT1412014.exe to reproduce the issue, but I can not... after unpublishing the app, the following keys disappears (as it should): HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\T1Txp2014.Document\DefaultIcon (for .114) and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\T1Txp2014.PlannerDocument\DefaultIcon (for .1p5).
    After running the vendor installer, it comes back again with the right setting, pointing to a valid location on my local machine.

So check if those keys are there after unpublishing the application.

Roy Essers

• Edited by Roy Essers Thursday, October 6, 2016 12:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by mdurham1984 Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:41 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 12:37 PM
  • Finally some good news! I Published the app again and looked for the registry entry you were talking about:

I unpublished the app again but it did not remove the registry key. When I installed the application locally the Key was not over-written.

I uninstalled the local install app then deleted the keys, T1Txp2015.Document and T1Txp2015.PlannerDocument. When I reinstalled the app the correct key was recreated.

Is there anyway to ensure that these reg keys are deleted when I unpublish the app or would it be easier to just run a PS script to delete these keys? 

Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:41 PM

All replies

• Let me know if following the steps in this order helps

1. Unpublish the package for all users on the machine

2. Remove the package

3. Before reinstalling app locally, make sure there are no shortcuts left on the machine. (Removing the package should do that)

4. Now once you install the app, it should behave as a fresh install.

Kiranmayi

Friday, September 30, 2016 9:07 PM
  • Whats the issue? You publish an appv package which sets a FTA (with icon), and after unpublishing it, the orginal FTA gets broken?

You could also first try to repair the extentionpoints from the appv package with;

Get-AppvClientPackage *packagename* | Repair-AppvClientPackage -Extensions

After that, unpublishing the package. This should set the icons back to it's original state. Manually removing regkeys is not a good idea, AppV leaves parts of your package in more then those locations if you not unpublish the package correctly.

Which filetypes are you talking about, .114 and/or .1p5?

Roy Essers

Sunday, October 2, 2016 10:24 AM
  • Kiranmayi,

This didn't work. As soon as I unpublish the app it breaks the icon

Monday, October 3, 2016 9:45 PM
  • What do you mean by break?

The apps' icon becomes blank? If so that is expected as Unpublishe removes everything.

Now with reinstalling it locally should fix it.

Kiranmayi

Monday, October 3, 2016 9:55 PM
  • Hey Roy

I did the repair and unpublished the app but it still didn't bring back the icon. We are actually piloting the network version of Taxprep software:

T1 (.115, .114)

T2 ( .215, .214

T3 (.314, .315)

Taxprep Forms (.T14, .T15)

When we virtualize these apps with App-v we loss a lot of functionality. I've spent months troubleshooting various app-v issues with microsoft tech support with no luck.

Monday, October 3, 2016 9:57 PM
  • Kiranmayi,

Yes, the icon is blank. Reinstalling the app locally does not fix the icon but i am still able to double-click on it and launch the app.

Monday, October 3, 2016 10:03 PM
  • Is there any Pendingtask key created in the registry after unpublishing the package?  If so try to stop the package and then unpublish it.

Stop-AppvClientPackage|Unpublish-AppvClientPackage|Remove-AppvClientPackage

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 7:25 AM
  • There are no pending tasks. I'm not sure why this isn't working. If I install the applications on a computer that never had app-v 5.0 sp3 everything works perfectly however, as soon as I remove the package from app-v or uninstall app-v on a different computer the icons stop showing up.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 5:24 PM
  • I have a work around that I can think of.

I used a firefox pkg that I have which when published creates a shortcut on desktop. I published the package normally the first time.

This should be the stage that your machine is currently now in.

Then I edited user deployment config file to remove the shortcut on desktop. Then I re-published the package with using this deployment config using the command

Publish-AppvClientPackage Firefox_14939_X86 -DynamicUserConfigurationPath .\Firefox_14939_X86_UserConfig.Xml

This deleted the shortcut on my desktop.

Now you can unpublish and remove the package and install your app natively. You hopefully will not have a problem with the icon on the desktop.

Kiranmayi

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 5:37 PM
  • Just to give you a visual on what I have done please see the following:

This is the configuration from app-v 5.0:

The file has now taken the icon:

I then remove the virtual app from the computer. You can see the icon is broken:

I install the network version of the application (also tested with the local version)

With the application installed, the icon is still broken but if I double click the icon I can still access the file:

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 6:31 PM
  • I have also attached the XML for this package
    <DeploymentConfiguration xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" PackageId="37b2b5e3-ebf4-4194-aff6-98e1f6170fcb" DisplayName="(App-V Deployment)" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appv/2010/deploymentconfiguration">
      <MachineConfiguration />
      <UserConfiguration>
        <Subsystems>
          <FileTypeAssociations>
            <Extensions>
              <Extension Category="AppV.FileTypeAssociation">
                <FileTypeAssociation>
                  <FileExtension>
                    <Name>.115</Name>
                    <ProgId>T1Txp2015.Document</ProgId>
                    <ShellNew />
                  </FileExtension>
                  <ProgId>
                    <Name>T1Txp2015.Document</Name>
                    <Description>T1 Taxprep 2015 Document</Description>
                    <DefaultIcon>[{Windows}]\Installer\{C74754FE-5707-41A5-86A7-F8CD07BB5F78}\IconA3FC74FF3.exe.1.ico</DefaultIcon>
                    <ShellCommands>
                      <DefaultCommand>open</DefaultCommand>
                      <ShellCommand>
                        <ApplicationId>[{ProgramFilesX86}]\CCH\T1 Taxprep 2015\T1Txp2015.exe</ApplicationId>
                        <Name>open</Name>
                        <FriendlyName>&amp;Open</FriendlyName>
                        <CommandLine>"[{ProgramFilesX86}]\CCH\T1 Taxprep 2015\T1Txp2015.exe" "%1"</CommandLine>
                        <DdeExec />
                      </ShellCommand>
                    </ShellCommands>
                  </ProgId>
                </FileTypeAssociation>
              </Extension>
                <FileTypeAssociation>
                  <FileExtension>
                    <Name>.1p6</Name>
                    <ProgId>T1Txp2015.PlannerDocument</ProgId>
                    <ShellNew />
                  </FileExtension>
                  <ProgId>
                    <Name>T1Txp2015.PlannerDocument</Name>
                    <Description>T1 Taxprep 2015 Planner Document</Description>
                    <DefaultIcon>[{Windows}]\Installer\{C74754FE-5707-41A5-86A7-F8CD07BB5F78}\IconA3FC74FF3.exe.2.ico</DefaultIcon>
                    <ShellCommands>
                      <DefaultCommand>open</DefaultCommand>
                      <ShellCommand>
                        <ApplicationId>[{ProgramFilesX86}]\CCH\T1 Taxprep 2015\T1Txp2015.exe</ApplicationId>
                        <Name>open</Name>
                        <FriendlyName>&amp;Open</FriendlyName>
                        <CommandLine>"[{ProgramFilesX86}]\CCH\T1 Taxprep 2015\T1Txp2015.exe" "%1"</CommandLine>
                        <DdeExec />
                      </ShellCommand>
                    </ShellCommands>
                  </ProgId>
                </FileTypeAssociation>
              </Extension>
                <FileTypeAssociation>
                  <ProgId>
                    <Name>CCH.cchAppUpdateCom</Name>
                    <Description>cchAppUpdateCom Class</Description>
                  </ProgId>
                </FileTypeAssociation>
              </Extension>
            </Extensions>
          </FileTypeAssociations>
          <Shortcuts>
            <Extensions>
              <Extension Category="AppV.Shortcut">
                <Shortcut>
                  <File>[{Common Desktop}]\New Applications\T1 Taxprep 2015.lnk</File>
                  <Target>[{ProgramFilesX86}]\CCH\T1 Taxprep 2015\T1Txp2015.exe</Target>
                  <Arguments />
                  <Icon>[{Windows}]\Installer\{C74754FE-5707-41A5-86A7-F8CD07BB5F78}\IconA3FC74FF2.exe.2.ico</Icon>
                  <WorkingDirectory>[{ProgramFilesX86}]\CCH\T1 Taxprep 2015\</WorkingDirectory>
                </Shortcut>
              </Extension>
            </Extensions>
          </Shortcuts>
        </Subsystems>
      </UserConfiguration>
    </DeploymentConfiguration>

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 6:33 PM
  • What I suggested was to delete the shortcut that you showed in the third screenshot and try republishing the package and then unpublishing it.

Kiranmayi

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 6:43 PM
  • OK so now I understand the issue, after unpublishing the appv package and installing the vendor installer the FTA fir .115 and/or .1p6 is blank but works.
    I've just sequenced a quick version of TXPT1412014.exe to reproduce the issue, but I can not... after unpublishing the app, the following keys disappears (as it should): HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\T1Txp2014.Document\DefaultIcon (for .114) and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\T1Txp2014.PlannerDocument\DefaultIcon (for .1p5).
    After running the vendor installer, it comes back again with the right setting, pointing to a valid location on my local machine.

So check if those keys are there after unpublishing the application.

Roy Essers

• Edited by Roy Essers Thursday, October 6, 2016 12:37 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 12:37 PM
  • Finally some good news! I Published the app again and looked for the registry entry you were talking about:

I unpublished the app again but it did not remove the registry key. When I installed the application locally the Key was not over-written.

I uninstalled the local install app then deleted the keys, T1Txp2015.Document and T1Txp2015.PlannerDocument. When I reinstalled the app the correct key was recreated.

Is there anyway to ensure that these reg keys are deleted when I unpublish the app or would it be easier to just run a PS script to delete these keys? 

Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:41 PM
  • The Appv unpublish action should have removed those keys. Where those keys maybe already there from a previous version? Or did you install the local version some time in the past?

Please try the same on a clean box.

Roy Essers

Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:31 PM