The memory could not be read? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows 8.1. Nothing is working. I can't open any programs, get any Task Manager functions to operate, ect... The only thing I can access is File Explorer. Anything else I click on gives me an error message. 

The "Title" along the top of the Application Error box will alternate between the name of the program that I tried to open, i.e. "Adobe Reader" or "Windows Media Player" and "WerFauly.exe". Inside the Error Box reads:  The instruction at 0x763b789e referenced memory at 0x00000008. The memory could not be read". Then says to "Click on OK to terminate the program". I click on OK over and over, only to have it keep popping up again and again. It will eventually stay down, but as soon as I try to proceed, the Application Error message comes right back up and here I go again. I can't even say for sure when this all started exactly or what event triggered this whole mess.  I'm almost certain I picked up an "Unfriendly" somewhere along the line. My AVG Protection usually does a pretty good job of protecting me, but not this time...I'm guessing.

I have been to Microsoft's answer pages, only to get near the answer, but not close enough. I'm stumped. I can't even get Internet Explorer to open by clicking on it's icon. I'm really tired. I want to REFRESH my computer. That will reset it to factory default settings and will not affect my personal files. I have done this a couple of times in the past with excellent results, but can not get to the REFRESH area on my system to even do that. Am I missing dll's or what? Can anyone please help me?! 

Friday, December 26, 2014 4:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, it seems like RAM problem, have you make any change to your system before this problem occures?

It would be better to replace a RAM for test.

To refresh your system, you may need a system installation to finish this operation.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, January 5, 2015 10:06 AM
    Monday, December 29, 2014 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, it seems like RAM problem, have you make any change to your system before this problem occures?

It would be better to replace a RAM for test.

To refresh your system, you may need a system installation to finish this operation.

Roger Lu

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, January 5, 2015 10:06 AM
    Monday, December 29, 2014 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days. How about your problem now? For your couldn't access to Refresh area problem, is this option greyed out or just missing from PC settings?

On the other hand, you can try to access this feature by accessing Windows Recovery Mode.

Click Advanced startup in PC settings, then system would boot into recovery mode, after that, choose Troubleshoot.

Roger Lu

Thursday, January 8, 2015 2:00 AM