Problem with app-v client and citrix provisioning. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. we have App-v client 4.6 64bit RDP edition on our provisioned windows server 2008 R2 with XenApp 6.0.
    The cache is stored on a central location.

Whenever a server is restarted and a user tries to launch an application on that server the user will get error "04-00000A09". If the user then waits for about 30 seconds and tries to launch the application again it works like a sharm.
    The client is set to refresh the application list at logon and every 4:th hour.

My guess is that the user logs on and the list is starting to be refreshed but isnt quick enough until the client tries to start the application. Therefore the user gets error "04-00000A09" but the refresh command is still going in the back ground. The next time the same user or even another user that have the same application will launch the application succesfully becouse the list is allready there.

I have searched the web for information about this but i can only find reg values and commands on how to pre load the cache and not the actual application list.

I apprecciate any help in this. Right now we have to log on to every server every time we have rebooted them.
    Thanks in advance // Jimmy

Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can simulate refreshing the application list by running "sfttray.exe /refreshall", but of course you would need to execute the command under (domain) user account that has rights to all of the applications, using things like Windows Task Scheduler.

Apart from that, I think that in TS/CTX scenarios you might want to consider doing publishing of App-V applications with direct path to OSD files to eliminate the need to do publishing refresh: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931576

Naturally you have to grant "Add application" right to normal users in App-V Client so that invoking with direct OSD reference succeeds (launching by OSD actually first adds the application to App-V Client's list if it does exists before and only then launches it).

best regards,
    Kalle Saunamäki
    • Marked as answer by Jimmy_and Friday, August 19, 2011 10:46 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 8:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can simulate refreshing the application list by running "sfttray.exe /refreshall", but of course you would need to execute the command under (domain) user account that has rights to all of the applications, using things like Windows Task Scheduler.

Apart from that, I think that in TS/CTX scenarios you might want to consider doing publishing of App-V applications with direct path to OSD files to eliminate the need to do publishing refresh: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931576

Naturally you have to grant "Add application" right to normal users in App-V Client so that invoking with direct OSD reference succeeds (launching by OSD actually first adds the application to App-V Client's list if it does exists before and only then launches it).

best regards,
    Kalle Saunamäki
    Friday, August 19, 2011 8:03 AM
  • Hi and thanks for the answer.

The last part you said about grant "Add application" right i didnt know so after i added that to our GPO and instead using the direct path to the OSD file everything works great :)

Thank you very much for the help

//Jimmy

• Unmarked as answer by Jimmy_and Friday, August 19, 2011 10:46 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 9:59 AM
  • Good to hear, glad you were able to get it working!

best regards,
    Kalle Saunamäki
    Friday, August 19, 2011 10:04 AM