Dual boot x64 install problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 drives and want to install Vista on my second drive which is "d:"  It has been formated to NTFS.  When I boot off of the dvd,  I get as far as the product key of which after entering the key, I get an error message "Failed to open the windows image file".

Any clue as to what this means?

- MochaTrpl

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 1:36 PM

Answers

• Here you go

Making Changes to the Boot Configuration Data

Before making any changes or attempting to use the commands below, run the command bcdedit or bcdedit /enum all to make sure that you use the correct GUID tag. These have been seen to change from build to build and it may be necessary to use {ntldr} instead of {legacy} for example.

bcdedit /set {legacy} Description “Windows XP Professional SP2” Changes the text description of the “Legacy” OS line in the boot menu. The quotation marks must be included in the command

bcdedit /set {current} description "Windows Vista Build 5270 x86" Changes the text of the boot menu line for the Vista or non-Vista installation one is currently booted to, from the default "Microsoft Windows" or other description to that shown in the quotation marks

bcdedit /set {5189b25c-5558-4bf2-bca4-289b11bd29e2} description “Windows Vista Build 5270 x64” Changes the text of the boot menu line for any other Vista installation. One must use the GUID for that particular installation as shown when one runs the bcdedit or bcdedit /enum all command

bcdedit /default {current} Sets the current Windows installation one is booted to as the default Windows boot OS

bcdedit /default {5189b25c-5558-4bf2-bca4-289b11bd29e2} Sets the referenced Windows OS as the {default} Windows boot OS

bcdedit /default {legacy} Sets the legacy (Windows XP) OS as {default} boot item

bcdedit /displayorder Sets the display order of boot menu items for example:

bcdedit.exe /displayorder {legacy} {current}

bcdedit /timeout 15 Changes the default 30 second time-out of the boot menu to 15 seconds or any other value inserted.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:13 PM

All replies

• I had that problem.  I swapped drives from a 20gb (x64 thinks 20gb is too small to install) to an 80gb and it installed just fine as a secondary.

What I didn't like was the boot manager shows "Windows Vista" for option 1 and 2 without making a distinction between the two so I had to guess that option 1 was the second install and option 2 was the first (x32) install.  Yay.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 3:52 PM
  • You can always change what the boot manager names each OS or change their order.
    Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:50 PM
  • Using bcdedit?  Or another way?
    Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:49 AM
  • Yes, using BCDEDIT.
    - Bruce
    Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:13 PM
  • Just finished the install last night and I noticed even though I selected a "E" drive it used the "C" drive for the Image install then when all was done it was on "E"  Hope "C" has enough space etc.
    Thursday, June 15, 2006 4:47 PM
  • Here you go

Making Changes to the Boot Configuration Data

Before making any changes or attempting to use the commands below, run the command bcdedit or bcdedit /enum all to make sure that you use the correct GUID tag. These have been seen to change from build to build and it may be necessary to use {ntldr} instead of {legacy} for example.

bcdedit /set {legacy} Description “Windows XP Professional SP2” Changes the text description of the “Legacy” OS line in the boot menu. The quotation marks must be included in the command

bcdedit /set {current} description "Windows Vista Build 5270 x86" Changes the text of the boot menu line for the Vista or non-Vista installation one is currently booted to, from the default "Microsoft Windows" or other description to that shown in the quotation marks

bcdedit /set {5189b25c-5558-4bf2-bca4-289b11bd29e2} description “Windows Vista Build 5270 x64” Changes the text of the boot menu line for any other Vista installation. One must use the GUID for that particular installation as shown when one runs the bcdedit or bcdedit /enum all command

bcdedit /default {current} Sets the current Windows installation one is booted to as the default Windows boot OS

bcdedit /default {5189b25c-5558-4bf2-bca4-289b11bd29e2} Sets the referenced Windows OS as the {default} Windows boot OS

bcdedit /default {legacy} Sets the legacy (Windows XP) OS as {default} boot item

bcdedit /displayorder Sets the display order of boot menu items for example:

bcdedit.exe /displayorder {legacy} {current}

bcdedit /timeout 15 Changes the default 30 second time-out of the boot menu to 15 seconds or any other value inserted.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:13 PM
  • I've got a problem.  I have XP Pro installed on my C: partition and Vista installed on the same disk, on the D: partition.  I had to repair XP which wiped out my dual booting.  Now I can only log into XP.  Any idea how to get the dual booting option back?
    Wednesday, July 12, 2006 5:50 PM
  • When I run bcdedit, it looks like a DOS window flashes, then disappears so quickly, i cant read anything. Since installing RC1, I've lost my Win Media Center Edition 2005 (XP Pro) and Vista only shows one bootable (in Advanced System Settings) system = Vista.

Can you make a "new" entry in BCD to point to the old (legacy) XPPro? I seem to remember having seen "Legacy" as a boot option, but REinstalled Vista due to some problem or other and now the "Legacy" option is no longer there. Perhaps he changed the MBR on 2nd install??

At any rate, I would like to be able to boot MCE 2005 without wiping Vista off...

Thanks for any help you can give,
    Chuck R.
    Tuesday, October 31, 2006 5:01 AM
  • I am running the final release version of Vista and when I attempt to run BDCedit in the command window I get a message stating "The boot configuration data store cannot be opened.  Access is denied".  There is only one user account on the system and it is an administrator level account.  How can I get BCDedit to run?
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 6:19 PM
  • open your comand window this way

1. Go to accessories

2. Right Click on Command Prompt (choose run as Administrator)

Run you tool 

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 6:56 PM
  •  cadle wrote:
    I've got a problem.  I have XP Pro installed on my C: partition and Vista installed on the same disk, on the D: partition.  I had to repair XP which wiped out my dual booting.  Now I can only log into XP.  Any idea how to get the dual booting option back?

Boot from the Vista DVD Media. Go into the <dvd drive>:\Boot\ and do a "bootsect /nt60 all"

You may need to then do a bootrec /rebuildbcd to scan for your Vista installation.

You may also need to add the pointer to the legacy os manually. Although since it is already there, you just need to add it to the boot menu display.

Just do a bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

That should do it for you. I may have missed something.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 9:03 PM