none
I cannot save a visual reports template RRS feed

• Question

• I am able to create a new report using visual reports, but never see a prompt or way to save the template for reuse. So, I end up recreating it each time.
    Friday, December 14, 2012 9:10 PM

Answers

• MikeMoses --

Good question.  Here is how to save a new Visual Report template for Excel:

1.  When you finish setting up the Visual Report the way you want it to appear in the Excel template, click the Save button. Microsoft Excel displays the Save As dialog and selects the default template location.
    2.  Click the Save As Type pick list and select the Excel template (*.xltx) option.
    In the File name field, enter your template name using the name you want to appear in the Visual Reports �?? Create Report dialog, such as the Work Flow Report for example.
    4.  Click the Save button when finished.  Microsoft Excel will display warning dialog about external data in the workbook.
    Click the Yes button to save the new visual report template.

When you return to Microsoft Project 2010, your new visual report template appears on the appropriate tab in the Visual Reports �?? Create Report dialog.  The directions for creating a Visual Report template are similar, and you can probably infer them from the preceding directions.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Marked as answer by MikeMoses Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:25 PM
    Saturday, December 15, 2012 9:45 PM

All replies

• Mike,

I don't really use visual reports myself but this link may help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/projectprofessional2010general/thread/ec19cd32-57e4-4e6a-935f-f65eef5df815

John

Saturday, December 15, 2012 4:30 PM
  • MikeMoses --

Good question.  Here is how to save a new Visual Report template for Excel:

1.  When you finish setting up the Visual Report the way you want it to appear in the Excel template, click the Save button. Microsoft Excel displays the Save As dialog and selects the default template location.
    2.  Click the Save As Type pick list and select the Excel template (*.xltx) option.
    In the File name field, enter your template name using the name you want to appear in the Visual Reports �?? Create Report dialog, such as the Work Flow Report for example.
    4.  Click the Save button when finished.  Microsoft Excel will display warning dialog about external data in the workbook.
    Click the Yes button to save the new visual report template.

When you return to Microsoft Project 2010, your new visual report template appears on the appropriate tab in the Visual Reports �?? Create Report dialog.  The directions for creating a Visual Report template are similar, and you can probably infer them from the preceding directions.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

• Marked as answer by MikeMoses Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:25 PM
    Saturday, December 15, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Dale,

As I stated in my initial response I don't use visual reports so I don't have much sage knowledge about them, other than they seem to be a bit unreliable in Project 2010 based on numerous posts on this forum over the last couple of years. Nonetheless in reading your process for saving I think a little clarification of a few things might be beneficial to others.

1. The first 4 steps indicate the template is actually saved in Excel. Maybe that needs to be stressed or expanded upon as a normal Project user would expect to save the template in Project.

2. Where does the "Save Data" button at the bottom of the visual reports window come in?

3. The next to last sentence in your second paragraph talks about creating a visual report template in Project. I'm a little lost by that. Isn't that what the user does in step 1?

John

Sunday, December 16, 2012 4:51 PM
  • John --

Good questions all.  To answer them for the benefit of everyone:

1.  We begin the process of creating a Visual Report template in Microsoft Project in the Visual Reports �?? Create Report dialog by clicking the New Template dialog.  In the Visual Reports �?? New Report dialog, we select whether we want to create a new Excel template or a new Visio template, we select the type of data we want to include in the Visual Report, and we select which fields to include beyond the default set of fields.  By completing this first set of steps, we tell Microsoft Project which data to include in the local OLAP cube it will need to build.  When we click the OK button in the Visual Reports �?? New Report dialog, the system launches either Excel or Visio and creates a BLANK Visual Report, ready for us to customize.  Once we have customized the blank Visual Report in either Excel or Visio, we are ready to save it as a template file.  So, notice that we do half the work in Microsoft Project, and we do the other half of the work in either Excel or Visio.

2.  In the Visual Reports �?? Create Report dialog, you can click the Save Data button to save the data for the Visual Report in a permanent format (rather than as a temporary OLAP cube), either as an OLAP cube file or an Access database file.  After completing this step, you can launch Microsoft Excel and connect directly to the OLAP cube or the Access database and create any type of Excel report you would like to use.

3.  Yes, that is correct.  After you save your template in either Excel or Visio, you will see the new Visual Report template listed in the Visual Reports �?? Create Report dialog in Microsoft Project.  From there, you can now choose the template and create a new Visual Report of that type.

To add to these thoughts, an excellent first-time Visual Report template to learn how to create would be a Work Flow Report template similar to the Cash Flow Report template.  The report should show Work and Cumulative Work by time periods.  This gives the user a chance to master their skills in an Excel PivotTable and to learn how to create an Excel PivotChart.  You might consider trying to create that report to expand your skills, my friend!  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:42 PM
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Dale,

Thanks for the excellent explanation. It will be a good reference.

John

Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:44 PM
  • John --

You are more than welcome for the explanation, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Monday, December 17, 2012 2:40 AM
  • Thanks, Dale.

A long time in getting back, but I wanted you to know that I followed the instructions and have the template.

Mike

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:25 PM
  • Mike --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:22 PM
  • Hello,

I realise this thread is old, but I have even tearing my hair out with Visual reports this morning, with Project 2013, Office 2013 (all professional) on Windows 8 64 bit.

I have two key issues (and looking around the internet, I do not appear to be alone, at least with one).

1. Sometimes Project will fail while creating a Visual Report… with built-in or custom templates.
      "An unknown error has occurred. An error occurred and the requested action could not be completed at this time."
      It's not the template because sometimes it will work and sometimes it will fail. No logic. But it fails more than it works. 
    2. I can save a pivot table in excel as a template, but as soon as I add some formatting, and save again as a template, it becomes a corrupt file (witnessed by Excel saying the file is damaged and offering to fix as much as it can, and Project thinking the file is open).

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

I don't mean to be mean, but I'm tired of things not working!

Regards,

Nic. 

Thursday, August 15, 2013 11:21 AM
  • Nic --

I have no idea what is causing either of your problems.  On the other hand, if you want the whole community to see your post, I would strongly recommend you repost your questions as a new post.  Most people skip over the answered questions.  I found your response to this original thread only by accident this morning.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:22 PM