SQLVDI error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I'm having this strange problem with a virtualized (Hyper-V) SQL Express server:

Configuration:
    Windows 2008R2 Web Edition with SQL Express 2008 (Running as a Hyper-V guest machine).
    This guest machine is being backed up by DPM 2010 as a Hyper-V guest (agent is installed on the Hyper-V Host, not within the guest).

Problem:
    When the backup starts, I get this strange SQL event (Application log):
    Event ID 1, SQLVDI
    "SQLVDI: Loc=IdentitySQLServer. Desc=MSSQL$F61E1FB7-C20A-40. ErrorCode=(1060)The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
    Process=1648. Threed=1836. Client. Instance=F61E1FB7-C20A-40. VD=."

After this error appears in the log, I get a chain of other errors (all realted to SQLVDI - "Client initiates abort", SQLWRITER - "OLEDB error", ...), the SQL VSS goes in a error state, and the backup fails.
    The only way to get it going again is to reboot the server, but after a one backup (succesful), the errors appear again.

The thing is, this SQL instance mentioned in the original event (F61E1FB7-C20A-40) doesn't actually exist on the server.
    The SQL express installation is just a default one (with the defaul "SQLExpress" instance).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you,
    Stephane

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the latest service pack has been applied.

I've done some additional troubleshooting and here is what I found out:
    The server where SQL express is installed is also running an application called "Sitefinity" (Web content management).
    When a user starts the Sitefinity console, a new "sqlserver.exe" process appears in the memory.
    Along with this process, a user specific instance is created within SQL with the name mentionned in my original post (MSSQL$F61E1FB7-C20A-40).

Since this instance is user specific, it cannot be seen (permission issue) by the VSS writer (well, that's what I concluded).

I contacted Sitefinity and they basically told me that if you upgrade from version 3 to version 4 (as opposed to a clean install), this could happen.

So, I guess I can close this thread as it is not a Microsoft related issue (as I first thought).

Thank you for your assistance though,
    Stephane

• Marked as answer by _Stephane_MVP Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:11 AM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Stephane,

Is the last service package applied on the server? You can obtain it from here.

Additionally, please take a look at the following threads with the similar issue:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqldisasterrecovery/thread/95caff30-15ce-46ae-bd08-73e9886d368a/
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/2df560fe-0c4d-4ce6-a651-3abfcbf62574/

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:42 AM
  • Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the latest service pack has been applied.

I've done some additional troubleshooting and here is what I found out:
    The server where SQL express is installed is also running an application called "Sitefinity" (Web content management).
    When a user starts the Sitefinity console, a new "sqlserver.exe" process appears in the memory.
    Along with this process, a user specific instance is created within SQL with the name mentionned in my original post (MSSQL$F61E1FB7-C20A-40).

Since this instance is user specific, it cannot be seen (permission issue) by the VSS writer (well, that's what I concluded).

I contacted Sitefinity and they basically told me that if you upgrade from version 3 to version 4 (as opposed to a clean install), this could happen.

So, I guess I can close this thread as it is not a Microsoft related issue (as I first thought).

Thank you for your assistance though,
    Stephane

• Marked as answer by _Stephane_MVP Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:11 AM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:11 AM