Search results not returning file names correctly RRS feed

• Question

• Have an onsite SharePoint Server 2010 Enterprise that contains a number of documents in a document library all containing the word "south" in their title. When a search is run with the keyword "south" all 3 files are shown in the results but only one displays the correct title. The other 2 display alternate text (in this case the company name). The links all 3 results are correct, however the title of results is incorrect for 2 out of the 3.

I have duplicated these results using Office 365 and another on site SharePoint 2010 server.

I have duplicated these results converting the documents to DOCX format under Word 2007 and Word 2010.

Obviously, this is an issue with the files, however any ideas where to start looking to uncover where the SharePoint Server is pulling the information from? 

In the end I need all 3 results to display the current name of the files it finds, not simply some random text with the files from 2 out of 3 of the results.

Thanks
    Robert Crane
    www.ciaops.com 

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:17 AM

Answers

• We've just resolved a similar issue, where Search returned 'Title' as the prime field when searching for some documents in libraries. The Title and Name attributes were fully populated and the documents checked in and approved.

It turns out there's a registry setting that called OptimisticTitleOverride, basically Sharepoint takes a guess at the document title based on the first words it encounters.. in our case Title : XXXXXX !!?

Changed the registry, recrawled and all works as expected. ;-)

More details here : http://sajiviswam.wordpress.com/2011/03/30/incorrect-search-result-title-for-word-2007-documents-in-sharepoint-2010-search/

Cheers

Russ

• Proposed as answer by Harini Alla Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by directorciaMVP Wednesday, January 6, 2016 12:11 PM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 10:32 AM

All replies

• When uploading a document in SharePoint it automatically fills the Title field if it is present in the document. Take a look to the document properties in your document library and see if the document title is different from its name.

Cheers
    Riccardo

fino a quì tutto bene
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Riccardo,

Unfortunately that is not it as the SharePont title matches the file minus the extension. So both the filename and title field are identical and contain the word "south".

Thanks
    Robert

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Try to take a look to the document property "Title", not in SharePoint, but in the document itself.

Ri.

fino a quì tutto bene
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Nope, the title field reflects the document name again.

Even if it was different why doesn't the search return the name of the document as the title?

Thanks
    Robert 

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:57 AM
  • Document library

Results for "south" as search term

Why doesn't the document South 2 fixed term and South 3 fixed term show up as independent search items by file title?

Thanks
    Robert 

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:46 AM
  • Here's the duplicates. Right files, wrong titles.

Why isn't the heading here South 3 fixed term lease etc instead of UNITY HOUSING COMPANY LIMITED?

Thanks
    Robert 

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:48 AM
  • Can you paste a screenshot of the document properties from Microsoft Word?
    fino a quì tutto bene
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:50 AM

• Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:55 AM
  • Did you modify the metadata property "Title" in the search service application in order to include other properties then that ows_Title and displaytitle?
    Ri.

fino a quì tutto bene
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:26 PM
  • No. I have simply uploaded the files to a standard document library. I get the same result in Office 365, again after making not changes.

Thanks
    Robert 

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:17 PM
  • Robert,

Did you get resolution on this issue.  I am experience this exact problem also in SharePoint 2010.  Title in the my .DOC (viewed under the advanced properties dialog) file matches the Title column in SharePoint (it should since SharePoint should be sync'ing it).  

I tried moving ows_Title above basic:DisplayTitle in the Title managed property in the search configuration and then doing a full index.

The title that shows up in the raw search results XML is different from the Title field in the actual .DOC and SharePoint Title column.  It is actually a phrase that appears at the top of the document; its not even the first phrase.  From my perspective it looks like the crawler is scraping the text from the document as I can't see what other column in the doc lib it might be getting it from.  The text it does use as the Title does not have any special styling (just the "Normal" style) on it.

In my case it is a dedicated SharePoint server farm with latest SP2010 cumulative updates.

--

Ken

Friday, September 30, 2011 11:37 AM
  • Could it be because of this?

Pasted from here:

http://bpostutor.com/post/Hidden-SharePoint-2010-Feature-Changes-Document-Titles-in-Search-Results.aspx

Hidden SharePoint 2010 Feature Changes Document Titles in Search Results

SharePoint 2010 has a interesting feature which you may not know about.  It's called Optimistic Title.  It's part of the Office Search engine within SharePoint.  What it does is determine a new, hopefully more relevant title for your documents to be displayed in your search results based on document properties or the actual contents of the document (i.e. Text within the file).  As you might expect this is closely tied to the Office document formats such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, and Visio.  Your end users may report that the titles that they see for search results differ greatly from the file name or the actual title of the document.  This is particularly evident with PowerPoint files where the name of the first slide is often used. The behavior is not entirely predictable.  Different results can be expected from Office 2007 and Office 2010 created files and even those created in earlier versions of Microsoft Office. 

If you want to change this functionality you need to actually go and edit the registry on your Search role server(s) within your SharePoint farm, restart the osearch14 service and then do a full crawl.  The key you want to modify is the EnableOptimisticTitleOverride. The default setting is 1. Change it to 0 to disable the feature.

• Proposed as answer by Harini Alla Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:00 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:00 PM
  • Saw that and configured. Same problem unfortunately. Thanks Robert
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:39 PM
  • I have had same issue, I am using search results in my custom app. The solution for me was to use the managed property DisplayTitle instead of Title in my search queries. Regards,Michal

Saturday, November 12, 2011 8:33 PM
  • How do I get that property to display in the results I get back from search? What do I need to modify so I see the correct title? Thanks Robert
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 9:53 PM
  • I suggest you to create a new page, put two ootb web parts on it - - Search Box and Search Core Results. Then please edit the SearchBox by changing the url adress of the page with results and then edit the Search Core Results Web part. In this second web part you can edit the list of columns which will be shown for every found result. Please change then the Title column into DisplayTitle and save change. After that you should have this working. Regards, Michal

ps. sorry for my poor english but it was a long day for me:)

Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:38 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I have same problem, the search centre to be display the result based on the “document Name” primary and secondary is “document Title”.

Cheers

Suresh

Friday, November 25, 2011 11:57 AM
  • MiFurm thank you so much! I have a library with 700 documents and I notice that the Title wasn't correct. So I did like you said. I created new managed property called DisplayTitle and mapped it to the Basic:displaytitle(Text). Then I customized the search core results (added the DisplayTitle column and changed the xml) and now everything is ok. I was already planning to copy the content from Title column to another column, but this saved me from doing this. So thank you again!

Sandra

Sandra Ratis

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:37 AM
  • We've just resolved a similar issue, where Search returned 'Title' as the prime field when searching for some documents in libraries. The Title and Name attributes were fully populated and the documents checked in and approved.

It turns out there's a registry setting that called OptimisticTitleOverride, basically Sharepoint takes a guess at the document title based on the first words it encounters.. in our case Title : XXXXXX !!?

Changed the registry, recrawled and all works as expected. ;-)

More details here : http://sajiviswam.wordpress.com/2011/03/30/incorrect-search-result-title-for-word-2007-documents-in-sharepoint-2010-search/

Cheers

Russ

• Proposed as answer by Harini Alla Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by directorciaMVP Wednesday, January 6, 2016 12:11 PM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 10:32 AM
  • For those looking to resolve this issue for SP 2013 or SP Online, you need to go into the Search Schema, search for Title and then edit the mapping, re-order the mappings so that the MetadataExtractor is not at the top of the list (the metadata extractor is doing the same as has been mentioned in 2010 in the above thread however unlike in 2007/2010 where you could edit the registry to turn this off, you cannot do so in 2013/Online and you must update the schema).

The Metadata Extractor is reading the first few words in a document and setting this as the Title, use something like basicdisplay:Title (filename) or OWS_Title (crawled Title property in SP) or Office2 (Title as written in Office).

Regards

Sergio Giusti Sergio Blogs
    Linked In Profile

Whenever you see a reply you think is helpful, click Vote As Helpful.
    Whenever you see a reply you think is the answer to the question, click Mark As Answer.

Monday, October 6, 2014 10:13 AM