none
PowerPivot for SharePoint installation failing in SQL Server 2008 R2 setup, need PowerPivot Gallery

Question

• I have a relatively new standalone SP 2010 Enterprise server.  I'm trying to install PowerPivot for SharePoint so I can create a PowerPivot gallery and use PP.  When I try to add the new instance in the SQL Server setup, the last step fails "Complete farm requirement for PowerPivot for Sharepoint... Failed".  The message box says that SharePoint should have been installed with the "Farm", "Complete" option.  I don't know if it was but I don't see an option in Central Admin or SP setup to change it.  I'll appreciate your help to further my SharePoint education and resolve this issue.

Paul Turley, MVP [Hitachi Consulting] SQLServerBIBlog.com *Please vote if helpful*
    Friday, April 15, 2011 8:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• Ok I think the answer lies in your first sentence and the bad news is that you will have to rebuild the farm. In your sentence you have said standalone install.... this means your deployment is not a farm mode and you have to re-install and configure everything.

You may also want to check this blog post

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/fpweb/wNfy/~3/juJaTalW_D4/ 

Alpesh Nakar's Blog Alpesh Just SharePoint Just SharePoint Updates

Australian SharePoint Conference Mar 7-8 2010 Contributing Author SharePoint 2010 Unleashed

MCTS: SharePoint 2010 Configuration MCITP: SharePoint 2010 Administrator

Friday, April 15, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Thanks, Alpesh

Before I tear the entire site down and reinstall, where can I check how SharePoint was installed?  I don;t see anything in Central Admin that says that the server is in farm mode, single mode, etc.

Paul Turley, MVP [Hitachi Consulting] SQLServerBIBlog.com *Please vote if helpful*
    Friday, April 15, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I need to verify something before I can answer that... not having access to the test farm at the moment.

Secondly, if you had another server with SP2010 installed, I'd try to join that to the farm and see if you can. If you can, then you are not in 'standalone' mode.

Assuming you don't have, let me see when I get back online in couple of hours.

Australian SharePoint Conference Mar 7-8 2010 Contributing Author SharePoint 2010 Unleashed

Saturday, April 16, 2011 2:33 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I've completely uninstalled SharePoint and peformed a fresh install.  Installed the Powerpivot for SharePoint and POWERPIVOT AS instance.

So far so good.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 7:47 AM
  • Yes, without a resinstall there was no other option as such. I did find the information regarding verification, but still got to check with other environments [ foundation, server]

Glad that a reinstall helped solve your situation.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 4:06 AM
  • Thanks again.  My server is built and everything I need is working now.  If you can provide any information about how to verify the state of an existing server installation for future reference, that would be helpful.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Paul - Indeed. I will keep you posted. I am away on 10 day break, but once I am back... I will let you know.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:34 PM